Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional Work

Options
  • 11-09-2012 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done regional work in WA?

Can you share your experiences please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Did mine on a tillage and sheep farm in a place called Borden, it's 100km from Albany.
    I was there for the seeding season, driving a tractor doing harrowing and lime spreading.
    It's so remote there it's not funny, you could be in a paddock all day and not see anyone other than the farmer, I saw three kangaroos one day though. That's was a highlight!!
    I'm not a fan of mice but got very used to them in no time, living in a house and they everywhere!! I set up traps and caught around ten in three days!!

I was working weekends as its better off cos they Fuk all else to do!!
    It's so remote I had to fill the car up with petrol from Jerry cans!! As the nearest servo was 30km away and hard to get to as I was constantly working.

I liked doing the harrowing, that was my favorite, didn't like the lime spreading as the machine constantly broke down, but that used GPS which is impressive to use as I never Seen it working before, sitting back and the tractor steering itself was pretty cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

We're currently on our 2nd last week here on a horse stud in WA. We're doing HelpX so its non-paid. It been a bit of a mixed bag. I've learnt some cool things like killing and eating our own beef, pork, chickens and ducks, making home made cured sausages, growing your own fruit/veg, shooting Roo, how to use chainsaws, welders and other tools and I've even gotten to hone my weak driving skills by stompin' around in the 1976 Toyota Land cruiser..

To be honest though, we're kinda over it all at this stage! The family we're living with are half feral and it hasn't been easy at time working with them. But all in all I'm glad we did this instead of fruit picking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

How come ye're doing unpaid work?

Did ye search long before ye got that role?

Unpaid work happens alot, lots of farmers give you accomodation and feed you as as way of payment.
    I got paid as it was seeding season.

Esse85 wrote: »
    How come ye're doing unpaid work?

Did ye search long before ye got that role?

'cause we werent able to get any pruning work when we were in the Margaret river in june. We decided to just do the volunteer work because it was a guaranteed way to get the 88 days out of the way. With the host family feeding us and letting us stay in exchange for work you dont spend too much money

Also the misses is big into her horses so this gave her an opportunity to work with horses again!

• Advertisement

Would there be much work down around Margaret river now?

Esse85 wrote: »
    Would there be much work down around Margaret river now?

Well pruning season is nearly over so there won't be any on the vineyards. It's only hitting spring now so there isnt much fruit picking jobs down that way either. The Margaret river is a very popular area so your always going to have competition for work as well

If your looking for regional work add the Job shop and fruit picking jobs on Facebook.. And ring the harvest trail every day to see where the action is!

Can you drive tractors or other farm machinery?
    The harvest will be starting up in the month or so and wil be looking for staff for that.

STIG83 wrote: »
    Can you drive tractors or other farm machinery?
    The harvest will be starting up in the month or so and wil be looking for staff for that.
    Unfortunately I don't have any previous farm experience.

Advertisement