Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three methods of heating in one house

Options
  • 11-09-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, I am currently interested in a property that is a relatively new build. (2006). It is a 4 bed detached house of 200 sq metres.
    It has Oil fired central heating in the bedrooms and living rooms, 3 Storage heaters in the kitchen and hallway, and to top it off has a gas fire in one of the living rooms and a gas hob. The house is not on a gas line.
    I thought storage heaters were only used in apartments and are dated??
    The BER rating isnt advertised but I presume would not be good.:(

Apart from that, it is a really nice house but im wondering what the logic behind this setup is? Was it done as a cheap fix?
    Would this put people off buying a house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

The gas is easily explained. Lots of people prefer cooking with gas, and gas fires were very fashionable around that time.

I've no idea why there are storage heaters though, particularly downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Resilience, if one fuel source is temporarily unavailable, at least you have another. The problem being oil likely won't run without electricity for the controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GS2K

Would it be a big job to take out the storage heaters and replace with radiators?

I am Living in an apartment at the moment with storage heaters and they don't suit me as I am not in the apartment during the day so not getting the benefit of the heat and also the cost. Just the sight of storage heaters puts me off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

GS2K wrote: »
    has a gas fire in one of the living rooms and a gas hob. The house is not on a gas line

Whatever about the storage heaters (which would put me off too), why would there be a gas fire and cooker but no gas??

Seems very odd and reminds me of the house my friend is renting ... amateur renovations were done and in order to have a hot shower they have to turn on the heating.

I'd definitely get a professional to check this out if I was seriously considering buying the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Would it be a big job to take out the storage heaters and replace with radiators?
    Yes, storage heaters just require an electric power source. Gas/Oil central heating would require boiler, plumbing, water tank etc. Big job, would require running pipes throughout the apartment and you'd need to find a suitable place for boiler and be able to vent it.

In reality not feasible I'd imagine.
    why would there be a gas fire and cooker but no gas??
    I think this means the gas source is from gas cylinders, rather than a main gas line connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 GS2K

irlrobins wrote: »
    Yes, storage heaters just require an electric power source. Gas/Oil central heating would require boiler, plumbing, water tank etc. Big job, would require running pipes throughout the apartment and you'd need to find a suitable place for boiler and be able to vent it.

In reality not feasible I'd imagine.

I think this means the gas source is from gas cylinders, rather than a main gas line connection.

Im not talking about my current apartment im talking about the house in my original post. Oil fired radiators are upstairs, and in downstairs living rooms, Storage heaters are in kitchen and Hallway. Would the plumbing be there to put radiators where the storage heaters are?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Im not talking about my current apartment im talking about the house in my original post. Oil fired radiators are upstairs, and in downstairs living rooms, Storage heaters are in kitchen and Hallway. Would the plumbing be there to put radiators where the storage heaters are?

Sorry, wasn't clear. The plumbing probably isn't there so would have to be installed. You might need a upgrade the boiler too.

Advertisement