Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question - re order

Options
  • 11-09-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,
    Just wanted to ask a quick question. I'm in a business where a customer normally has to wait a period of 5-6 weeks for their products to come in from the manufacturer after its being ordered. If I receive some sort of signed document from a customer stating that they want to purchase X item as per quotation number 1234, is this legally binding or should i look for a deposit on each item i sell before delivery.
    Hope what im saying makes sense,
    Thanks
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

As far as I am aware, If the customer has signed a contract they and you have to action it in some way to make it valid. If they return or give the contract to you and then you send out or give them a pro forma invoice or delivery advice then the contract is valid.

A deposit is probably the best way though for all concerned.

I'm sure there's a legal term for it but that's my understanding anyways....

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭thomas98798

Cheers Gloomtastic, thanks for the quick reply. I thought there was some legal obligation to honor a singed order but I couldn't find any legal reference to it. I think in future i'll get a signed order and deposit for say 10%, belt and braces approach.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

There is several variants here. If it is B2B and it is a binding contract they have signed, as set out by your legal advisers then it could be binding. If it is B2C and they have not seen the product then distant selling regulations come in to play and they have the right to cancel the contract up to seven days after the product has been delivered. If it's custom made specific to them there are ways around this. Best to talk to a qualified legal adviser.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭thomas98798

Thanks Ronan,
    It's B2B, do you know of any template purchase contracts online that I could download.
    Regards
    Tom

Advertisement