Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Also new here

• 11-09-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi, i'm not a stranger or new to comics, big into animated series too. But anyways i've a few community questions i'm definitely not part of the community but i'm looking to expand I read mostly stormwatch, Transmetropolition, authority.....anything bruce timm, alan moore, neil gaiman related mostly. But the people i've gone to school with an now grown up with, same as with my music tastes they are completely different than me we share a bit of a warper sense of humour but that's it, my friends drink lots of alcohol are loud, listen to rap music and watch a lot of football.

I read a lot and watch, JLU repeats, Animated batman repeats, Buffy repeats, X files, and stuff in that vain, but I really think it's time i made friends with somewhat similar interests so where do you fine people hang out

And i've only ever bought gear online, can I get comics like stormwatch and Transmetropolitan in forbidden planet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭NickMondo

Sure are a friendly bunch, 21st century warmth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭NickMondo

Sure are a friendly bunch! 21st century warmth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

we're friendly....this is just a very very quiet forum in comparison to something like AH or Cool Pics and Vids

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hi Nickmondo :) As jpcarlow says the slow response isn't anything personal, just that the forum is generally not too busy.

You ought to be able to get at least some of the comics you mentioned in Forbidden Planet (or any other comic shops). If you're looking for collected editions rather than single issues, they might need to order them in for you - but there's a new Stormwatch series running as part of DC's New 52 relaunch last year that you might be interested in.

In terms of meeting people, I've found that meetups at conventions are a good one. For example, the Dublin International Comic Expo is coming up soon (29th & 30th of September) so you could head along to that, or try arranging to meet some folks there. You could also do worse than heading along to your nearest comic shop and seeing who else is there.

If you're into drawing comics, you could check out the likes of the Dublin Comic Jam or see if there are similar events close to you.

Branching out beyond the purely comics and cartoons stuff, you should check out the likes of the Anime & Manga forum or the Science-fiction & Fantasy forum (and events/meetups mentioned there). There are plenty of sci-fi & fantasy conventions throughout the year (eg WARPcon in Cork, Gaelcon, Octocon and so on) so you might want to check those out as well - there tends to be a good bit of overlap between Irish comics fandom and sci-fi/fantasy/gaming/anime fandom anyway.

Advertisement