Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympics - The Pinnacle?

• 11-09-2012 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

Something I've been thinking about since the Olympics is how many of the sports that are included would be considered the pinnacle of the particular sport. In how many of these sports would winning the gold medal be that particular sports highest achievement?

Now I'm not going to pretend to have a wide enough knowledge of each sport to categorise them all correctly but there are some that are fairly obvious.

The likes of athletics, boxing and gymnastics at the Olympics would be in my opinion obviously be the pinnacle of the sport. Whereas football, tennis and road cycling would definitely not be. There are a lot in the middle that I think would probably be and some that are probably not.

I'm going to give what my guess is on all the sports that featured in the 2012 Olympics and we'll take it from there.

Diving Probably
    Swimming Probably
    Synchronized swimming Probably
    Water polo Probably
    Archery Probably
    Athletics Definitely
    Badminton Probably
    Basketball Definitely not
    Boxing Definitely
    Canoeing Probably
    BMX Probably
    Mountain biking Probably
    Road Cycling Definitely not
    Track Cycling Probably
    Equestrian Definitely not
    Fencing Probably
    Field hockey Probably not
    Football Definitely not
    Gymnastics Definitely
    Handball Probably not
    Judo Probably
    Modern pentathlon Probably
    Rowing Probably
    Sailing Probably not
    Shooting Probably not
    Table tennis Probably
    Taekwondo Probably
    Tennis Definitely not
    Triathlon Probably
    Volleyball Probably
    Beach volleyball Probably
    Weightlifting Definitely
    Wrestling Probably

As you can see there are many I'm not sure about so I'd love to hear other people opinions.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I would consider them all a definitely except for:

Basketball
    Cycling (Road)
    Football
    Tennis

TBH I don't know much about some of the "minor" sports such as handball, synchronised swimming, water polo etc., but would have thought an Olympic Gold would be the ultimate - it must surely dwarf all other competitions in these sports

Track Cycling is an odd one - it's definitely what the top riders are aiming for, but because the events are so limited many riders have to "make do" with World Championships

I'm not sure why you think definitely not for Equestrian and Field Hockey. What event(s) do you think are ahead of the Olympics?

Unfortunately we'll be adding Golf to the "definitely not" list for Rio

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to add that looking at the women's events, my own view is that only the tennis falls into the "definitely not" category. Arguably the Women's World Cup in soccer approaches the Olympic event and it may be touch and go in that sport. IMO, neither Tennis nor Soccer should be part of the Olympics because they are not considered the most important event (and there are plenty of alternative sports that would fall into this category that could take their place)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

For basketball you could swing it that the Olympics are the pinnacle of international competition.

For road cycling, the Olympics are the pinnacle of one day racing, though that could be debated.

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    For basketball you could swing it that the Olympics are the pinnacle of international competition.
    I would have gone along with that until the USA started sending their "dream teams" along - those guys still seem to value an NBA title way ahead of Olympic gold
    Pisco Sour wrote: »
    For road cycling, the Olympics are the pinnacle of one day racing, though that could be debated.
    I think a lot of cycling fans would be up for a debate on that - I think most pro road cyclists would prefer to be able to wear the World Champions jersey for a year than win a gold at the Olympics. That may change, as the pros have only been competing since 1996 and I think London 2012 may make a few more realise the sheer scale of the Olympics

As I've already said though, I think it's different for the women's events

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

On reflection definitely not for equestrian was wrong. I thought that there were other events that eclipsed it. Also with hockey I felt that maybe the World Cup would be seen as bigger. As I said my ignorance of these sports will be shown up here and it's good to get others perspectives on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement