Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introductory English Lecture

Options
  • 11-09-2012 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Aaaargh! I just checked my email and I've a one off English introductory lecture today at 5.00!
    The problem is I've no other lectures on Tues. and I'm commuting so I'm not going to make it!

How big a disaster is this? I don't want to miss any lectures at all if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Not a huge disaster. It would be good if you could make it as they say some important things such as what books you need or whatever. They also say what you will be doing for the year, but they don't cover any of the actual content. Anyway you can ask someone in your class the next time if anything particularly important out of the norm was said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

you may as well drop out of college if you miss it imo

it's a proven fact that 97% of people who miss the introductory lecture will end up dropping out of college after 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Gel

"you may as well drop out of college if you miss it imo

it's a proven fact that 97% of people who miss the introductory lecture will end up dropping out of college after 6 months"

Wow! That's a very extreme statement! .... I take it you're joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

This the one that was in Woodview? You missed nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Gel wrote: »
    "you may as well drop out of college if you miss it imo

it's a proven fact that 97% of people who miss the introductory lecture will end up dropping out of college after 6 months"

Wow! That's a very extreme statement! .... I take it you're joking?

Yes, he must be. Although he wasn't very funny. I wouldn't worry about having missed the lecture, and as you said is only a one off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Gel

Whew! Glad to hear it's not that serious.

I'm don't want to screw this course up!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hey Gel, don't worry, missing an intro is cool, you'll be o.k. Don't kill yourself, if you miss lectures from time to time it's not the end of the world. Just catch up later, and try not make it a habit if anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,180 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

English lectures in general are torrid affairs, once you go to the seminars you're fine, obviously the lectures help but most time they just go through abstracts of what they're teaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Actually, lectures are really handy because they will often give you an idea what lecturers will put an emphasis on in the exam.
    It depends though, if you are covering the same material in the tutorial and bother to do the reading you should be fine, but generally you should bother to go to the lectures.
    Which course was it? If its Lit&Context check blackboard, they will bombard you with information until you tear out your hair.

Advertisement