Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless alarm advice

Options
  • 11-09-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,
    I currently have a house alarm thats about 10 years old - I'm looking at upgrading , probably to a wireless system, can someone suggest a few systems, (low cost - but reliable!)
    Ideally I'd like gsm notification/remote access, 5indoor PIR and about 10 door open/shock detectors.

Thanks a million!

DF

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you looking for complete wireless or a hybrid system that will do both?
    All new systms have numerous monitoring abilities.
    Take a look over the 2 threads below & see which panel you think will suit your needs.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056676131

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056676093

Come back here with any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dabfan

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. Alarm systems is something new to me, I'm only familiar with the wired system I currently have which was installed by mid west alarms, (limerick), in 2005. No text notification or anything like that.
    For the past few years either the patio door or the kitchen window is triggering a false alarms every couple of weeks, both on the same zone/circuit - these zones are both open door reed switches and shock sensors. Both have been replaced with new units by myself, but the fault continues (I have a technical background so I dont think I have done anything wrong!) :)

I'm thinking as its an old system maybe its time for an upgrade! A wireless system could be installed by myself without having to spend ages rewiring.

What do you think? I dont want to spend over 500euro.

Thanks

DF

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

How did you check for the faulty sensors.?
    Use the method described in post 9 in this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056655452

That will also show up any cable problems. Of course going fully wireless will eliminate those issues but it could be something a lot simpler. Especially if its the same zone thats causing all the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Make sure the arrow head is pointing straight up!! :-)
    You won't get a wireless system or a wired One to cover all your doors and windows for under €500
    Supply :
    Panels cost from €160 and up
    Wireless sensors cost €40 - €80
    Gsm units with remote operation €250 & up

Does your current system announce "system arming "" system unset "
    When arming and disarming the alarm

You won't get a wireless system or a wired One to cover all your doors and windows.

Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Make sure the arrow head is pointing straight up!! :-)

AFAIK, Midwest Alarms being owned by Catch Security use GS613's.....no arrows on them.

kub wrote: »
    AFAIK, Midwest Alarms being owned by Catch Security use GS613's.....no arrows on them.

Ahh, don't worry... He's a HKC man.;)
    With Aritech sensors the writing just has to be horizontal.
    With Astec any way at all:D

KoolKid wrote: »

A question for the old timers, is the Astec sensor head the same one as the original Shorrocks? (cos we all know the HKC isn't)

Astec sensors are no more. But all their sensors work in any orientation.

Does your current system announce "system arming "" system unset "
    When arming and disarming the alarm

Yes! Thats the one!
    I changed the gross/pulse from 4/4 to 9/9 yesterday.

I'm probably better off keeping my system then as a new replacement is going to cost a bit.

DF

• Advertisement

Gross and pulse of 9 9 is rendering their sensors pretty much in operable and leaving you with a false sense of security. Better to get them checked and replace what's faulty.

Hi,
    Ive gone through all the sensor, which have all been replaced, everthing is under 2 ohms.

Its quite hard to figure out without any schematic, but its seems there's two circuits - on the blue yellow pair is the tamper circuit.
    The black/red pair is the shock sensor circuit which also has a reed magnetic door open switch included in the circuit.
    Is it normal to have reed switches and shock sensors in series on the same circuit?

Also, I noticed that the shock sensors on some of the windows have small magnets next to them to detect the windows opening, but the sensors dont react to a window opening - and there no sign of a reed switch - just a small shock sensor and a tamper switch!

DF

I just checked resistance of the total loop which includes 4 sensors, two shock and two magnetic - it came in at 4.7ohms.

DF

Are you sure that's not 4k7?

No, definatley 4.7ohm

And have you tested the entire zone using the method described here?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78949288&postcount=9

kub wrote: »

Ironic enough it's a HKC system ;)

Still hasn't solved his problems though. If the meter isn't showing anything it could be a matter of eliminating devices one by one. The long way.;)

Disconnect the sensors and put your multimeter across the shock terminals in the sensor have a friend give the sensor a tap and make sure the resistance goes back to what it originally was .. Anything above or that is slow to return is more then likely faulty . Pay no more then €15 for a new sensor :-)

The method I outlined is more reliable. It will also show up bad connections or damaged cable.
    Also the resistance level comes into it.This is the part some people don't understand. If the resistance just up .2 or .3 of an ohm or even one ohm that doesn't indicate a faulty sensor.Neither does the resistance being above zero. A couple of ohms or gradual increases is what your looking for in this test.

• Advertisement

The method I outlined is more reliable. It will also show up bad connections or damaged cable.
    Also the resistance level comes into it.This is the part some people don't understand. If the resistance just up .2 or .3 of an ohm or even one ohm that doesn't indicate a faulty sensor.Neither does the resistance being above zero. A couple of ohms or gradual increases is what your looking for in this test.

Thats the method i would use as well, sticking the probes directly onto the sensor terminal does not give you the bigger picture. Also at that close to the head, it would want to be in a fairly bad condition for it to show up.

Would it not tell him if the inertias faulty ?

Connection directly to the inertia head would be less reliable. If there was a problem with any cabeling or connections on the loop that wouldnt show up either.

Advertisement