Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career and Cert Advice Needed

Options
  • 11-09-2012 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Well as title suggests looking for some career advice and what certs to pursue. I finished a 2 year higher cert course in computing last year which tought me modules on alot of aspects in i.t. Such as networking, programming( which I didnt like, main reason why I didnt go on and get the degree as the rest of the course was centered around it), operating systems both client and server, databases and hardware etc but didnt really teach me enough in any to get me a job in a specific one. Since finishing ive just been working in retail to get by which has nothing to do with my course. So im now looking to kick it in gear and study for several certificates which will help me get a job in i.t.

I was planning on going down the CCNA route first having learned most of it in college but from reading on here it is not suggested to do so as it is nearly impossible to find a job that will make use of it without any previous experience. I would probably only have to do a bit of revision for a month or so to pass I would expect so not sure whether to still go for it to at least have it on my cv. Most of the tech jobs seem to have some sort of networking as a requirement.

I know starting off i will most likely have to do some sort of technical support role first to get the experience so which certificates will I be best off starting with in order to get a job in this sort of role?

In five years time I would love to be in some sort of network/server/system/database role is there any specific field I should be mainly looking to get into that has good career prospects?

Also will probably be looking into doing some sort of sql cert later on as there seems to be alot of jobs looking for some experience in it.

Basically im just looking for some advice on which certs i should be looking at doing and in which order to have the best career prospects.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Dude, you should have stuck it out and got your degree.

I was the same in college, not the biggest fan of the database / web development modules but you need to take the good with the bad.

If I was you I would seek a transfer and finish the degree even part time.

Personally I never worked in I.T. I have a degree in comp sc but since college I worked in finance ofr 6/7 years. I quit that job last year and got a 'dream job' in networking with no real experience at all. Why? I put it down to my degree.

Believe it or not those modules you are not a fan of come in handy in the work place. It's good to have that 'all round' picture

Advertisement