Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will recession and Alan Ryan's funeral lead to a revival of the IRA?

• 11-09-2012 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

A letter printed in today's Metro Herald damningly indicted the Irish Government for helping the Real IRA present themselves as 'protector of the working class'. I'll transcribe the whole letter here.
    The IRA is back. The inability of the Gardaí to make any dent in the drug gangs, stop antisocial behaviour or bring white-collar criminals to justice has resulted in the IRA being seen as the protector of the working class once more.

Add to that the Government's decision to abandon a whole generation of working-class men and women to joblessness and poverty to save the white-collar criminals and their institutions. It guarantees not only the survival of the IRA but will see it expand quicker than at any time since the hunger strikes.

I'd like to think the Government will realise the working class are at breaking point and react accordingly but they simply do not care about the plight of the poor.

Kevin, via email

Do people agree with the content of this letter, or is it so much bluster?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Some day, there won't be a recession to blame everything on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

A letter printed in today's Metro Herald damningly indicted the Irish Government for helping the Real IRA present themselves as 'protector of the working class'. I'll transcribe the whole letter here.
    The IRA is back. The inability of the Gardaí to make any dent in the drug gangs, stop antisocial behaviour or bring white-collar criminals to justice has resulted in the IRA being seen as the protector of the working class once more.

Add to that the Government's decision to abandon a whole generation of working-class men and women to joblessness and poverty to save the white-collar criminals and their institutions. It guarantees not only the survival of the IRA but will see it expand quicker than at any time since the hunger strikes.

I'd like to think the Government will realise the working class are at breaking point and react accordingly but they simply do not care about the plight of the poor.

Kevin, via email

You wouldn't happen to be Kevin now would you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Seconds out........round 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

You wouldn't happen to be Kevin now would you ?

No, but I found the letter interesting. Don't really agree with it, myself, but wondered what other people thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Sadly there is probably more than just an element of truth to the content of the letter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I think the conditions are right for recruiting disillusioned youth and reading some of the crap being spouted off in the AR murder thread on boards, i'd say there is good grounds for concern at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I would agree that the government are screwing the working classes and it must be said the middle classes and the Gardai seem fundamentally incapable or unwilling to deal with gangs, drugs and now paramilitaries.

But it won't be the RIRA that benefit. They're just a bunch of thugs and gunmen. No the people who will benefit is the former bunch of thugs and gunmen called Sinn Fein. They will be in the next government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

IRA...........Recession
    :confused:
    Sorry, someone's gonna have to point out the connection for me.

And ryan was just a fúcking gangster - not a republican of any description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Who says they ever went away?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"It were the English what caused the recession lads.... let's get out the balaclavas."

They're nothing but a bunch of moronic knuckle-dragging scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Will it f**k. A few headeballs wearing action man gear does not a paramilitary make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

We are still talking about the provos/RIRA/CIRA here, yea? :confused:

When did this happen before in the south?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

It's one persons opinion. Even if the shinners got into power (not impossible) they would find it very difficult to undo what's already been done and they would follow the same path as the present lot (who, let us not forget, were handed a bucket of sh1te by the outgoing monsters). The present lot (or any other lot) will over time fix some of the damage done by their predecessors but they'll be forever blamed for the mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

The IRA were not only every bit as bad as any of the drug gangs operating in this country but worse. Disappearing people, proxy bombers, shooting Gardai, kidnappings, mass murders, and so much more. They were the utter scum of the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

bluecode wrote: »
    I would agree that the government are screwing the working classes and it must be said the middle classes and the Gardai seem fundamentally incapable or unwilling to deal with gangs, drugs and now paramilitaries.

But it won't be the RIRA that benefit. They're just a bunch of thugs and gunmen. No the people who will benefit is the former bunch of thugs and gunmen called Sinn Fein. They will be in the next government.

Hello Paul Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Why didn't they protect the working classes of Omagh from the bomb they planted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

IRA...........Recession
    :confused:
    Sorry, someone's gonna have to point out the connection for me.

And ryan was just a fúcking gangster - not a republican of any description.

Easy enough recruiting disaffected, bored, unemployed youth.

Show them a bit of excitement, make a few quid too, easy pickings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Na, They're a fringe element. The people in the north had a helluva lot more to be pissed off about than today's disaffected working class and the PIRA didn't have any great support until the British stated mass murdering the locals on behalf of the anti-democratic Unionist regime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I hope to fúck not, a bunch of thugs taking the law into their own hands because "they have no belief in the law" only results in undermining it further. And I doubt that's much of an agenda item for them, just a catalyst to rope people into their group.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

Birneybau wrote: »
    Easy enough recruiting disaffected, bored, unemployed youth.

Show them a bit of excitement, make a few quid too, easy pickings.
    Perfect descrition of the type of Jeremy Kyle show thrash who joins the Parachute regiment, Royal Marines, SAS etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

never heard of ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

The "R"IRA like other criminal gangs will always attract certain types. There will always be criminal gangs.

The only difference between "R"IRA and most other criminal gangs is when they extort money they do it for 'a cause'. The implied cause being Brits
    Out
    or something, but in reality it's cash for the boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I read that as
    The IRA is back. The inability of the Gardaí to make any dent in their drug gangs, stop antisocial behaviour or bring white-collar criminals to justice has resulted in the IRA seeking protection money from the working class once more.

=-=

Now, the Shinners have been saying that they don't have ties with the IRA, but we'll see how true that is when the IRA "come back" or try to do so anyway...

Oh, and whilst we're talking about the Shinners, how the f**k will they get the jobs back? By increasing the f**king tax rate for foreign companies so they all leave, and then what?

WHAT THE F**K WILL THE F**KING SHINNERS DO THEN?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

O' for fcuks sake!

"Round 2" is right!

I'm outa here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

smcgiff wrote: »
    The "R"IRA like other criminal gangs will always attract certain types. There will always be criminal gangs.

The only difference between "R"IRA and most other criminal gangs is when they extort money they do it for 'a cause'. The implied cause being Brits
    Out or something, but in reality it's cash for the boys.

we all know that but its the army of idiots that this country never seems to run out of that eats this shít up and produces the SaoirseBiker types we see posting on boards today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I closed the last thread due to the bitching and sniping and you haven't even made it through the first page of this one without resorting to the same bollocks.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement