Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting rid of ivy???

Options
  • 11-09-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

Can someone please tell me how to kill ivy,I have a big problem with it growing between my shed and the shed backing onto mine,gap too small to get down and cut it and it has grown all over my shed roof and down my back wall. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

You could try spraying with Roundup, a couple of doses of that should sort it out I would think.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

A brushwood killer would work well too. We use "Scrub" and it works fairly well but there are loads of different brands available in any garden centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cairnterrier

as per Monsanto's website, ivy is a bit resistant to Roundup... but following their suggestions hopefully brings best results

http://www.monsanto-ag.co.uk/content.output/173/173/Roundup/Difficult%20Weeds/Ivy.mspx

best of luck, it's an evil plant ;)
    In my old garden in Germany, I had to resort to ripping it out of the ground forcefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

try whacking the ivy with a cane first to partially break the leaves waxy surface which may allow better penetration by the roundup.

I still have to try my recent idea, based on an old less pleasant method, of using a spray mixture of sunflower oil and 3 times the amount of roundup (60ml per litre) (no water) which may stick the roundup to the plant for longer, with the whacking idea first too.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

I get good results with a squirt of washing up liquid (I use Fairy) in the knapsack with Roundup. I make a normal Roundup mix, spray that on the usual suspects, and then towards the end of the spray I add the Fairy Liquid and attack the Ivy. I am a little concerned about what the FL might do to soil structure so restrict its use to the ivy areas under hedges, woodland edges etc.
    On a sort-of related note I am only really comfortable with Roundup as a weedkiller, but had to stray out of my comfort zone as I had a huge invasion of Hexline/babys tears this summer which was smothering everything. Roundup had absolutely no effect on it so I had had to try Altrix/Garlon. This is supposed also to work on Ivy, but as I had to use the whole packet on the Helxine I have yet to test it on the ivy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement