Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone still have their Iodine tablets for when Sellafield explodes?

• 11-09-2012 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember the roll-out of iodine tablets for the populace of Ireland in 2002?

I cant find mine.

We don't need them anymore because everything is safe now I'm sure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

We kept ours handy, always beside the paracetamol and eyewash. Don't want none of that thyroid cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Were it to "blow up", a pissing little iodine tablet isn't going to save you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Sure didn't they have an expiry date of 2005 or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

They passed their best before date years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

yep, still have mine and know where it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Jello wrote: »
    Yes they did, but im hoping that like a fine wine they improve with age :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I sold mine to an illiturate.... an illiterit.... a junkie that couldn't read good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

are you trying to tell us something OP?

you have me worried!! :(

Sure we only got 4 for our family of 6 and adults have to take 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Sure we only got 4 for our family of 6 and adults have to take 2.

now we'll see who daddies favourite really is :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

More money well spent by our previous Governments:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I didn't get any at all - I was obviously classed as expendable by my postman, and he kept mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Jello wrote: »

The expiry date is something that has to be on all medical products, but potassium iodide is stable and will retain its effectiveness long after the listed expiry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The government can no longer afford to supply it's citizens with iodine.

Lucky for us it's inexpensive and easy to find

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iOSAT-Potassium-Iodide-Tablets-130/dp/B00006NT3A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Yep they are sitting on the coffee table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I remember when these were sent out there was no where near enough for everyone in the house so I took the lot and hid them in my room :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Don't have my Idoine Tablets, but would be willing to pay good money for a copy of the old Irish Government 'Protect and Survive' type booklet, called 'Bas agus Beatha', if anyone reading has one still lying around ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I remember when these were sent out there was no where near enough for everyone in the house so I took the lot and hid them in my room :D

You're a survivor Teddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Yes, and my millennium candle for light, heat, and cooking in the nuclear winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

i snorted mine using the millennium tree certificate rolled up ( remember that :P ) in a room lit by the millennium candle while chomping on my rescission cheese

good times good times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

dj jarvis wrote: »
    i snorted mine using the millennium tree certificate rolled up ( remember that :P ) in a room lit by the millennium candle while chomping on my rescission cheese

good times good times

Hope you kept your Millenium 50p coins for currency after the nuclear winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

i thought that iodine that we got is gone off already.. so its practically useless no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

Didn't the then Minister for Defence Willie O'DJ advocate the wearing of a moustache to help filter out the radioactive particles in the air?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Since I'm a Protestant, I threw mine away. It was common knowledge that the tablets were nobbled to make us stubborn and infertile.

Didn't the then Minister for Defence Willie O'DJ advocate the wearing of a moustache to help filter out the radioactive particles in the air?

No, no, no. He said:- If you see a big toxic cloud you "must dash".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Just finished reading " the Road". I'm now very glad I didn't get any. Jimmy ,Bertie , mary Hearney &all the boys would be the ones on the back of the truck, or in " that" house, methinks..
    Horrible thoughts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Never received them, nothing came through my letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

What was the reason for sending them, was a teen at the time myself. Did they genuinely expect a nuclear disaster at the time. I do remember a lot of post 9/11 paranoia surrounding Sellafield that Bin Laden would target it, ignoring the hundreds more plants like it around Europe and North America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

telecaster wrote: »
    Does anyone still have their Iodine tablets for when Sellafield explodes?

No, but I've a packet of salt with added iodine, so I may die from salt poisoning first.

And I assume you mean when Sellafield explodes AGAIN.

Windscale Fire 1957

They renamed it from Windscale to Sellafield since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

iDave wrote: »
    What was the reason for sending them, was a teen at the time myself. Did they genuinely expect a nuclear disaster at the time. I do remember a lot of post 9/11 paranoia surrounding Sellafield that Bin Laden would target it, ignoring the hundreds more plants like it around Europe and North America.

IIRC basically there was a small accident , and the minister ( Willie O'Dea ?? ) was on the radio and was asked what would happen if Sellafield/Windscale ( whatever they calling it this week ) was attacked. He made such a balls of the answer ( how unusual ) and was backed into a corner . They then had to send out the tablets to try allow him to recover some of his dignity . I am sure someone can find the radio interview in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

When the nuclear war begins,
    And that wall of fire approaches,
    Consume those iodine pills,
    And be eaten by cockroaches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That was great, some minister makes a fúck up on the radio, so the government makes it ok by sending a packet of tablets to everyone in the country. :rolleyes:
    These guys were in charge of running the country, it's no wonder we're in such a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

i deposited mine into one of those electronic voting machines that were purchased. :D

such thrifty spenders we are. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Since I'm a Protestant, I threw mine away. It was common knowledge that the tablets were nobbled to make us stubborn and infertile.

No, it was the other way round! They make you less stubborn and more fertile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Davidth88 wrote: »
    IIRC basically there was a small accident , and the minister ( Willie O'Dea ?? ) was on the radio and was asked what would happen if Sellafield/Windscale ( whatever they calling it this week ) was attacked. He made such a balls of the answer ( how unusual ) and was backed into a corner . They then had to send out the tablets to try allow him to recover some of his dignity . I am sure someone can find the radio interview in question.

ok, after a little research , looks like I owe WOD an apology

It was Joe Jacob who made a bit of a fool of himself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Jacob

• Advertisement

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    No, it was the other way round! They make you less stubborn and more fertile.

So they make to Catholic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

So they only stop thyroid cancer, so what about the other cancers from the exposure ? ! ! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I was married to a woman who would consume anything if she thought it would give her a buzz.
    The day they were delivered, she swallowed the lot (8).
    PS they had no effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Sold 'em at Swedish House Mafia gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

aujopimur wrote: »
    I was married to a woman who would consume anything if she thought it would give her a buzz.
    The day they were delivered, she swallowed the lot (8).
    PS they had no effect.

Has she tried swallowing a vibrator?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Meh, Sellafield/Windscale had a Level 4 nuclear disaster in 1957 and no-one batted an eyelid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

kincsem wrote: »
    Yes, and my millennium candle for light, heat, and cooking in the nuclear winter.

I never got one of them Millennium candle yokies. Nor did I get my Cheese a couple year ago. Swindling government keeping it for themselves
    Davidth88 wrote: »
    ok, after a little research , looks like I owe WOD an apology

It was Joe Jacob who made a bit of a fool of himself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Jacob

He always was a complete prat. Kinda like the Duke of Kent, anytime either open their mouths tripe is bound to come out!
    Confab wrote: »
    Meh, Sellafield/Windscale had a Level 4 nuclear disaster in 1957 and no-one batted an eyelid.

No-one but yerself knew about it obviously

I think we still have our Iodine tablets in a drawer in the sideboard. And that'd be simply cos the bloody drawer is in dire need of a sort through and hasn't yet been so they are hanging on. Soon as that drawer is purged they'l be flung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

If Sellafield exploded we'd have a Green Liffey 365 days a year, think of the tourism potential!

Advertisement