Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannabis based products to be legalised

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

"We need cannabis for medical reasons"

"Ok here, we put it in a tablet and taken out the high"

"Em... it's not the same. Look here's a study to say it's better to smoke it"

It'll be interesting to see the arguments arising out of this, especially as it takes one of the main reasons for lrgalisation out of the icture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

MagicSean wrote: »

It'll be interesting to see the arguments arising out of this, especially as it takes one of the main reasons for lrgalisation out of the icture.

The effect it has on recreational users is the same effect it has on medicinal users. Removing this would remove its' usefulness as a medicine. If it was possible to just "remove the high" it would have already been done and legalised all over the world by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

If we seen cannabis made legal I wonder would it encourage people who never smoked it to start smoking it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Kurz wrote: »
    The effect it has on recreational users is the same effect it has on medicinal users. Removing this would remove its' usefulness as a medicine. If it was possible to just "remove the high" it would have already been done and legalised all over the world by now.

Not true. Sativex itself contains similar quantites of CBD and THC which effectively removes its psychoactive effects, so no high but highly useful as a medicine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

I wouldn't even know where to get cannabis. Been years since I did. Wouldn't even know who to ask on anonymous forums... Pity Man, real shame...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

http://www.sativex.co.uk/patients-and-carers/patients-on-sativex/frequently-asked-questions
    In clinical trials, less than 3% of patients treated with Sativex found that it caused a euphoric mood (feeling high). If this does happen, patients should reduce their dose and talk to their doctor or nurse.

DOCTOR DOCTOR! I'm feeling content about life and extremely happy, what should I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

MagicSean wrote: »

It's not the same....

Vegetable soup can be any number of things. There is no substance in existence that you can get the entire world to agree on as being "Vegetable soup". What is "high quality" is subjective and is up to the person drinking the soup to decide.

Medicines on the other hand have strict definitions. Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid otherwise known as 2-acetoxybenzoic acid. If I went to any chemist in the world and asked them "What is aspirin?" their sole answer would be 2-acetoxybenzoic acid. If I asked them identify aspirin, they'd pop it in to an IR machine and they'd have a result fairly quickly.

Unlike vegetable soup, the definition isn't just "A few vegetables, a bit of water, some seasoning and a few spices".

THC isn't cannabis. THC is a compound contained in cannabis. If you synthesised all the compounds in cannabis and mixed them in the right proportions there would be little to no difference.

So they are extracting it why?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

ceegee wrote: »
    You also avoid the problem of variation in strength which is inherent in plants.

This is all irrelevant because wherever its grown or whoever grows the cannabis, it can be tested for thc/cbd levels after being harvested, just like they do with medical marijuana in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

mikom wrote: »
    So they are extracting it why?
    It's cheaper and easier to standardise a plant extract than to synthesise tens of compounds each with their own processes and quality controls. It's bad enough when it's a single compound but with the sixty or so found in cannabis it makes no economic sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Fcuk it I'll try it anyway, synthesized or not. Has to be better than solpadeine anyway, that crap's useless.

It's cheaper and easier to standardise a plant extract than to synthesise tens of compounds each with their own processes and quality controls. It's bad enough when it's a single compound but with the sixty or so found in cannabis it makes no economic sense.

Money, that's right.

Money, that's right.

What's wrong with making money from a product? Stick to the proper weed if this medicine doesn't suit you. It's not like it's hard to get anyway.

What's wrong with making money from a product? Stick to the proper weed if this medicine doesn't suit you. It's not like it's hard to get anyway.

Approx 125 pounds sterling for 7 to 11 days dosage of sativex in the UK.
    Winner alright....

Winner alright....

Just don't buy it? I couldn't be happier. Pharmaceuticals is where I want a career so this is great news :p

Money, that's right.

Winner alright....
    The company who makes Sativex (GW Pharmaceuticals) has been in business since 1998 and Sativex would appear to be their first commercial product. During that time, they filed sixty patents and must have paid a massive amount of money in to both successful and not so successful research projects and trials.

The risk of failure is absolutely massive and it costs millions to get a new medicine on to the market. They cannot continue as a company unless they recoup their costs and turn a profit. They're not charging high prices for the sake of it. They need to make money before their patent expires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It comes in the form of a mouthspay and apparently it gets you high

http://www.clear-uk.org/the-sativex-scam-part-2-5/

Awwwwwwwww Yeaaaaaaah

The company who makes Sativex (GW Pharmaceuticals) has been in business since 1998 and Sativex would appear to be their first commercial product. During that time, they filed sixty patents and must have paid a massive amount of money in to both successful and not so successful research projects and trials.

The risk of failure is absolutely massive and it costs millions to get a new medicine on to the market. They cannot continue as a company unless they recoup their costs and turn a profit. They're not charging high prices for the sake of it. They need to make money before their patent expires.

Bedrocan, the Dutch government's official supplier delivers the same for about one-tenth of GW's price.
    Natural too.

But shur the taxpayer will take the hit for the most part.......... 125 pounds sterling for 7 to 11 days dosage

Bedrocan, the Dutch government's official supplier delivers the same for about one-tenth of GW's price.
    Natural too.

But shur the taxpayer will take the hit for the most part.......... 125 pounds sterling for 7 to 11 days dosage
    They're not the "same" either in what it contains or in its form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Just don't buy it? I couldn't be happier. Pharmaceuticals is where I want a career so this is great news :p

Just buy the illegal plant isn't an option for some people who might have an irrational compulsion to obey stupid laws. There are cases where cannabis is definitely the best medicine and these people will effectively be corralled into buying this product, which isn't as effective as the real thing; there-in lies the rub.

At least drug dealers have the common courtesy to not pretend to be helping people. Every shady move big pharma makes shows clearer and clearer how much profit comes before people.

As for this product being legalised, it's gotten people talking about the benefits of the cannabis and shown the establishment aren't so unmoving on the topic as they would have liked us to believe. Full use of the plant is on the way for medical usage, it's just a case of how strict the rules surrounding access to it are.

They're not the "same" either in what it contains or in its form.

The Dutch health board views Bedrocan as more economical and adaptable with the choice of one of four different THC/CBD ratios.
    I'm sure our leaders know better though.............. after all they have been saying for years that cannabis had no medicinal value judging by the drug schedule they placed it in.

Coffee beans or Maxwell house, with Maxwell house costing ten times the price, and you could go to prison for the possession of the coffee beans..... madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

So theoretically if someone had an elderly parent <snip>

Mod

Charter breach, next time is a ban.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Bitching and nonsense aside form the "legaise the weed" morons, I for one welcome the indtrduction of Sativex and possibly other similar products.

I happen to know a few people who live with MS and the potential benefits for them is massive.

Hopefully they can get it soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Winner alright....
    At least you know what your getting. Ive just given up on weed, everythings sprayed god knows what your smoking. Irish people really need to stop buying these crap drugs we'll accept any old shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

ScumLord wrote: »
    At least you know what your getting. Ive just given up on weed, everythings sprayed god knows what your smoking. Irish people really need to stop buying these crap drugs we'll accept any old shyte.

Dunno where you're getting your shmoke from.

If we could grow our own we'd know whats in it.

ArseLtd wrote: »
    If we could grow our own we'd know whats in it.
    Unless you've got a gas chromatography + UV machine handy you'd have little to no idea what's actually in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Kurz wrote: »
    I don't think it is a step in the right direction to be honest. In the states you can grow and buy the plant yourself if you get the right certification. This whole "Sativex" business seems to me like pharma companies have seen what happened in the states and made sure they control the product here. If anything this will end up being an obstacle to similar medical cannabis laws here as they have in America. We'll be stuck with some overpriced, poor quality and patented product as the only option.

Sometimes, the synthetic form is better, depending on what you have. Some auto-immune diseases, it is argued, can be cured by cannabis, but smoking (anything, but including cannabis) can inflame the symptoms. Taking a synthetic form is essential. Growing your own and synthesising it yourself is probably impractical for most people. Once the patent is up, the drug will be cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Sometimes, the synthetic form is better, depending on what you have. Some auto-immune diseases, it is argued, can be cured by cannabis, but smoking (anything, but including cannabis) can inflame the symptoms. Taking a synthetic form is essential. Growing your own and synthesising it yourself is probably impractical for most people. Once the patent is up, the drug will be cheaper.

I dont think this is patentable is it? It is a plant afterall which is unpatentable :confused:

I dont think this is patentable is it? It is a plant afterall which is unpatentable :confused:
    The compounds aren't patentable because they're not synthetic. You can't patent a discovery, only an invention.

You can't invent a natural compound but you can invent a medicine. A specific combination of compounds made in a specific way with a novel delivery method is patentable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Seaneh wrote: »
    Bitching and nonsense aside form the "legaise the weed" morons, I for one welcome the indtrduction of Sativex and possibly other similar products.

It's the people who continue to support making criminals out of people for consuming a plant that are morons.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Advertisement