Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harold's Cross - to live in

Options
  • 11-09-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hey!

Whats it like to live in? Seems pretty nice to me after walking around it for a bit. Might be moving to an apartment in Gandon Close...

Supermarkets - Lidl/Aldi in Rathmines & Superquinn in Kimmage

Pubs - ?

Quirky shops - ?

Takeaways - ?

Parks - ?

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

TTWNF wrote: »
    Hey!

Whats it like to live in? Seems pretty nice to me after walking around it for a bit. Might be moving to an apartment in Gandon Close...

Supermarkets - Lidl/Aldi in Rathmines & Superquinn in Kimmage. Tesco in Rathmines and a new Lidl, Aldi and Tesco going into Terenure

Pubs - Sean Mac D's is very good decent food too, magowans, Peggy kellys, cross bar few others

Quirky shops - ?

Takeaways - Popadom @Home is good and Saba@Home, Camile. Loads close by

Parks - Harolds cross Park, small but good. Also close to Bushy park

cheers!

Living there for the last few years. Really like it very close to town/ Rathmines/Rathgar/Terenure. Everything you need is within walking distance and there seems to be a good local community. There is a new GYM opening too across from Centra. Would highly recommend the area.

Also on the 16 so your direct to the airport in 45mins for €2.65.

One thing about Gandon Close is I think they were flooded about a year ago as there is an underground river there (The Poddle I think). Greenmount ave and harolds cross road were. I would ask about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Hi I've been living in Harolds Cross for 18 months now, prior to this I lived in Ranelagh for over two years and the Cross is far superior.

As said by previous post it is so handy for getting into town/doing your food shopping.. Loads of take-aways near by if you don't fancy cooking (but far enough away so you don't get too lazy).

I cycle into town and can usually be parked on Dame St within 12mins of leaving my house (I'm in Mt Drummond, near the canal) but it only takes about 30mins to walk as far as Dame St also.

If you walk down Clanbrassil St the Arabic shops are fantastic, you will get top quality Irish meat in the Halal butchers there and lots of great veg too.

Best of luck with the move and be sure to ask about the flooding last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

cheers people for the lowdown!

really looking forward to moving there now. i'm a third floor apartment so should be ok as regards the flooding..... only renting, not buying.

i've eaten in Sean McD's & thought the food was super for pub grub..restaurant quality really.

had forgotton about all those aisan shops down the clanbrassil end.. i usually shop in the aisan market in town for spices etc. be fun checking them out to see what wired & wonderful things they have in stock!

being so near town & the hive of activity that is Camden street/portobello/rathmiones is pretty cool too while still being a quiet area!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Don't forget to check out Beckett and Bull on Ragthar Avenue, brilliant spot for some lovely grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Oh ya Union sq is very good too and the corner bakers, both on the terenure road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

irishguy wrote: »
    Oh ya Union sq is very good too and the corner bakers, both on the terenure road

There are a few pubs in the main village also. And i believe there is a mcgowans recently opened, so you have a late bar too! Its on the south west corner of harolds cross park. Plus, you have the greyhound stadium, mon, wed and fri meets i believe? :-)

Advertisement