Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 month pup not eating well .

• 11-09-2012 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

We have a near 1 yr old akita and as of last couple of months she has got very picky with food I eventually changed her food but then some weeks later she seemed to be itching alot and biting at her paws . I was told this could be allergic reaction and I was given a sampler of hypoalergeric food 2 days ago , in attempts to make her eat iv bein mixing some tinned fish with the dry food , iv tried taking the food away and putting it back but she just picks at it , but since getting the sample food she wont touch it . I don't want to go back to the other food (gain adult puppy) if it's reacting with her but at least she was eating once a day with it ; iv stopped all treats and would appreciate any help in getting her to eat more as her weight is not great and I want it improved for her own sake .. as I said she
    Only eats once a day which is not good ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Would you consider feeding her raw? Ive never seen any dog refuse it :D it can be better for them if they suffer from allergies too. Google BARF feeding, theres a whole wealth of wisdom out there on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Would you consider feeding her raw? Ive never seen any dog refuse it :D it can be better for them if they suffer from allergies too. Google BARF feeding, theres a whole wealth of wisdom out there on it!
    I know she would eat that but it would be a lot more expensive I'd say? She is totally refusing her food this evening I even mixed some chicken gravy to get her interested :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Have you had her at the vet just for a check up? Hows her form otherwise? If she's in good form then id imagine she's just being stubborn.

Offer the food, nothing else with it and leave it down for 15mins. Take it away regardless, if it's eaten or not. Offer nothing until next mealtime. Repeat process for few says and you should see her eat. My dog held out for 3 says before giving in so they won't go hungry.

Only do this if your dog is given clean bill of health and there's nothing medically wrong with her.
    You can soak half her meal in warm water which can make it more appealing to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Raw feeding can work out cheaper, buy cuts of meat that are in the reduced sections, get veg from aldi or lidl, whichever is cheaper! Just out of curiosity has she been wormed lately? I know people associate worms with them being starving but if they have a high content they can be sitting in the stomach and make her feel bloated, nautious so not wanting to eat!

andreac wrote: »
    Have you had her at the vet just for a check up? Hows her form otherwise? If she's in good form then id imagine she's just being stubborn.

Offer the food, nothing else with it and leave it down for 15mins. Take it away regardless, if it's eaten or not. Offer nothing until next mealtime. Repeat process for few says and you should see her eat. My dog held out for 3 says before giving in so they won't go hungry.

Only do this if your dog is given clean bill of health and there's nothing medically wrong with her.
    You can soak half her meal in warm water which can make it more appealing to her.
    She does not seem in bad form she has lost a lot of weight which has me concerned but we did use to give her treats so maybe that's why she only ate once a day , just seems weird now she is not eating new find at all , .today will be 2nd day of her just picking at new food I mixed some old bad new food but she just picked out old food pieces to eat .

• Advertisement

Raw feeding can work out cheaper, buy cuts of meat that are in the reduced sections, get veg from aldi or lidl, whichever is cheaper! Just out of curiosity has she been wormed lately? I know people associate worms with them being starving but if they have a high content they can be sitting in the stomach and make her feel bloated, nautious so not wanting to eat!
    I wormed her a month ago so hopefully it's not that ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

I was also concerned about the itching and paw chewing but the vet said it's just a puppy being a puppy. Chews her left back paw and scratches around the collar and her belly but only when she is idle or bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Dunny wrote: »
    I was also concerned about the itching and paw chewing but the vet said it's just a puppy being a puppy. Chews her left back paw and scratches around the collar and her belly but only when she is idle or bored.

Yup our 11mth old pup is same - itches and licks out of boredom and he just recently stopped hoovering up his food straight away - has just grown out of it. He's more sparing with bow he eats now - A bowl of nuts can last a whole day and a half first and then the he might get through two feeds one at night and on the next morning after that. He gets raw treats every so often from the butchers and he loves them too. I think he's mostly getting older Nd getting into his own routine depending on what other little bits he gets.

Ye she ate about a half bowl last night so I know she will eat she is just being stubborn I think? .il hold out and not give her anything else til she starts eating her food but I still am worried she loosing weight , is it pointless giving her raw too ? It won't help with the dry food I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Is there anything going on with her last few "big teeth" coming through?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Has she had her first season? If so, how long ago was it, and is there any chance that a dog got to her?

A lot of people do only feed one meal a day, but obviously she would need to be eating enough in that one meal and it sounds as though she isn't.

Maybe try her with the raw for a few days and see if she goes for it, that might give you a better idea of whats going on with her.

Good luck, its hard to deal with when they are losing weight and you can't get them to eat.

ISDW wrote: »
    Has she had her first season? If so, how long ago was it, and is there any chance that a dog got to her?

A lot of people do only feed one meal a day, but obviously she would need to be eating enough in that one meal and it sounds as though she isn't.

Maybe try her with the raw for a few days and see if she goes for it, that might give you a better idea of whats going on with her.

Good luck, its hard to deal with when they are losing weight and you can't get them to eat.
    She has just finished her first season this week she has bein tipping away at food but nothing major it seems she eats bakers before anything but I have full bag of gain so I'm mixing both I really want to get weight back on her msn I give her meat in meantime?? Or will this just tell her to hold off dry til gets meat even more??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If shes just out of season that could explain a lot!! Some dogs tend to be totally off form during their season so that could be the reason shes off her food.

To be honest, get rif of the bakers, its awful stuff!! Better off feeding raw than that food, its terrible. The gain would be a lot better so try stick with that.

andreac wrote: »
    If shes just out of season that could explain a lot!! Some dogs tend to be totally off form during their season so that could be the reason shes off her food.

To be honest, get rif of the bakers, its awful stuff!! Better off feeding raw than that food, its terrible. The gain would be a lot better so try stick with that.
    Ye thanks bakers is gone and tonight I mixed some hot water with the gain and she ate full bowl (relief) lets hope she keeps it up :)

Advertisement