Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server set up?

Options
  • 11-09-2012 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi guys,
    PC fanatic here, Looking for some advice on setting up and running a 64 man server. I've been contemplating a move to rent a server for a while now.
    1. Any non lagging servers people can recommend?
    2. Anybody interested in sharing with setting up one ?
    3. Any moderators / admins will be all equal, no hierarchy everybody is the same.
    4. prime objective is to map rotate between the most popular maps and the game to be moderated so no Base raping , No shooting into the UNcap , no racist language, or religious views just Shootem up and raging ;) Anti cheat server.
    5. Ideal rules for a server?
    Its to be 60 euros roughly a month with a forum . Looking for help with any info as regards to setup, software needed to be installed against cheating, people who would like to donate with the option of been a Moderator.

One condition be part of the clan (couple of hours a day) and play fair.

Any posts and responses would be helpful, I thank you people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Well the problem with setting up a server yourself (as in, not in a clan/platoon), is getting people to seed the server. No one will join an empty server unless you have some friends or clanmates to help you fill it.

To go through your points....

You mention "setting up and running". I'm not sure if you realise but you have to purchase your BF3 server through one of EA's partner companies, such as gameservers.com or i3d.net. There are loads of them, but you can't actually run the server on your own PC. I think this answers your first question, those two companies are probably the best known ones.

I think the rules you have in mind should work well, as that's what most players are used to IMO.

As regards adminning the server, look into getting Procon Layer hosting with the game server when you're ordering. Then download and install Procon (phogue.net) which allows you to change all the settings for the server. You can then install anti-cheat plugins on Procon which work by checking, for example, a players SPM, K/D, headshot count and so on in a specific time. You're talking about €5 per 3 months for layer hosting, and most game server providers will also provide procon hosting.

That's about it really. If you want to know anything else you can add me on battlelog (ShamrockOverlord). Blazer (Airblazer) and myself admin the Craggy Island server.

Advertisement