Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funeral Costs

Options
  • 11-09-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey,
    Does anyone know where you can get a complete cost of a funeral?
    And if someone is elderly and hasn't much money to leave to pay for his/her funeral who picks up the costs? or what happens? does the Next of kin have to pay?

I know costs here in Ireland are massive, outside of Funeral itself you have Headstone and Plot costs too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Etc

Doubt posting this in bicycle adverts will get you far. It's like a graveyard here when it comes to funeral queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Wrong forum...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Your not going to get such a thing tbh, what you really need to do is ring individual funeral homes and ask for the basis coffin and package and get a quote for it, each FH will vary. As for the plot again each graveyard is different, its about getting on the phone and ringing and asking these things. Unfortunately the same applies with headstones, normally the funeral home can advise you on one but you can google and get quotes

We paid for a funeral within the last 2yrs, the funeral itself as in coffin, mass, we had a cremation , the removal and notices in paper and on line all came in at 6 grand. Thankfully we didnt have to pay for a plot as she got cremated but we did get a small marble piece marking her years and put it on her mother and fathers grave that came to 300euro, it was small mind you.

If the person is on social welfare you can apply for a death grant with is I think 800euro which goes towards the costs. However normally the next of kin does pay mostly out of love...its not one of those things we like to take about while alive but realistically its the one certainty in life and we all should be putting money away for it as the last thing a loved one should have to deal with when we die is how to finance a funeral when they should really be grieving.

OP if you dont have the money to bury this lady then you can always use a paupers grave, its a grave for people who have no money to pay for their own funeral and can be for those who nobody claimed

Check out the citizens advice website they should be able to point you in the right direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

. we have found keith massey in glasnevin very good over the years. he will visit the house to save the stress.
    keep things to the minimum.ive arranged 2 funerals in recent years.
    use the hospital mortuary,cuts over night costs to zero. no fees etc
    one mouring car for the funeral, everyone has cars or accesss to a friend or neighbour with one.
    go back to the house instead of the pub. just get someone to do sandwiches and borrow cups.

a headstone is year away but you could also cremate. best thing we ever did and far cheaper.

there are also grants and help from social welfare. if in the deceased was a credit union member there is a payout of about 1000, depending on the CU.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 edmac33

Sorry I only realised I posted in wrong forum!
    I must have hit the wrong link and not realised!
    thanks to all who replied below it's been a good help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Mary Horgan

My query is re Death Notices appearing inaccurately in press. I recently buried my brother. Gave the death notice to the undertakers, but when it appeared on paper some wording changed, punctuation wrong which changed meaning; and it said "reception to church on Monday evening at 12.30pm for requiem mass. What can I do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

This link might be of help. http://www.consumerhelp.ie/planning-a-funeral

My Dad's funeral cost us €4,500 - this was for the coffin, cars, embalming and cremation. His ashes were buried in a plot we already owned and his name was added to headstone. This cost another €1,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

My query is re Death Notices appearing inaccurately in press. I recently buried my brother. Gave the death notice to the undertakers, but when it appeared on paper some wording changed, punctuation wrong which changed meaning; and it said "reception to church on Monday evening at 12.30pm for requiem mass. What can I do about it?

I wouldn't pay for the advert if they got it wrong.

Advertisement