Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

confused about my behavior and theirs- feeling smothered and don’t know what to do

Options
  • 11-09-2012 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am looking for advice; sorry if this is a bit long winded, this is my first post and I don’t know how much context I should give:

I recently bumped into an old friends ex-boyfriend. She and I haven’t seen each other in a few years (she no longer lives in Ireland) we text each other happy birthday & Christmas but would not be in contact.

Anyway, I am going to call the guy John.
    John and I we were friends when they were going out but haven’t seen each other in a few years. I bumped into John while on public transport and chatted away for the length of the journey (about 45mins), we said we’d find each other on facebook, and meet up for a coffee or something.

If I say I am going to do something I will… So I found him and added him as a friend that evening.
    The next day (Thursday), he facebooked messaged me, saying he was going to a pub later on with friends and would I like to join. As it turned out I was meeting my brother there that evening anyway. So I told John that, and that I’d see him there.

We all met, it was much just like meeting up with a bunch of friends, but sometimes i would feel a bit odd about John's reactions towards me.
    From a conversation I had with my brother, John heard that I wasn’t doing anything the Saturday day or evening. John text me the next day(Friday) about going to the cinema the following day(Saturday). I couldn’t say I was busy, when I knew that he knew I wasn’t. However, I do remember not really wanting to go.
    So we went to the cinema had two pints and then both went to our respective homes. I thought it was all ok.

He then started texting me everyday. Initially I responded to the texts, and when he asked to hang out I was genuinely busy (it wouldn’t have been just the two of us hanging out), but now its changed to wanting to ‘spend time’ together, texting me very day / two days looking to do stuff or asking how I am or what I am doing. He’ll comment on everything I put up on facebook or will put up something up that’s really similar to my post. Im feeling really feeling smothered and uncomfortable by this and am wondering peoples thoughts on:

1. Have I given him the wrong impression as to where I stand..(just friends)
    2. Am I being stilly and he’s just being friendly?
    3. Whether or not he’s just being friendly or has gotten the wrong impression; I am feeling smothered, how to I let him know this and that I would like him to back off without seeming like a complete cow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

He fancies you - there is no big deal. Just slow your responses to his texts as I dont think his behaviour warrants a show down.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gooner111

He could be a overly friendly bloke and chatting to you everyday/looking to meet up be part of his regular friendship routine. But I reckon Ellsbells is spot on - he fancies you. If you don't want to be honest/blunt with him then taking your time replying should start to make him realise your not too interested and rejecting/ignoring his suggestions of meeting up should definitely make him realise it. If that doesn't work then lie to him... tell him you've got a date with a guy you've fancied for ages! That should make it clear where he stands.

Advertisement