Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick city centre bigger than Cork city centre??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

That is nonsense, there is more to architecture than the Georgian period. There should be more to Limerick than the Georgian buildings too, it is saying that nothing of architectural worth happened in Limerick in the last 200 years and if the naysayers have their way then nothing of architectural note will happen in the next 200 years as "what about our Georgian buildings!"

As for parks, Cork far exceeds us on that, we have one tiny little park, while they have the Lough and Fitzgerald's Park. While Galway has the beach. Our park is pretty rubbish in comparison.

The Georgian architecture in limerick was an example of how Limerick looks and feels like a city.

As for parks, the lough and fitzgeralds in Cork are not in the city centre
    If we are looking outside Limerick city centre I could include Westfields and the Ted Russell park just over Shannon bridge off the Condell Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I love the Georgian streets of Limerick. Gives it a very elegant stately feel to the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

The Peoples Park is absolutely beautiful, there are at least another half a dozen parks in the city, from Shelbourne Road, to Clare St, Mungret, Condell Road, Annacotty not to mention a heap of Riverside walks....I honestly don't think anywhere in Ireland "far exceeds us"....

I was responding to
    also lack parks like the peoples park

The People's Park is pretty but it isn't an amazing park. Fitzgerald's Park is a decent size park, where you can't see one end of it while standing on the other. To think that other towns and cities in Ireland don't have parks that far exceed the People's Park is a bit naive.

I also see that I have hit the Georgian nerve that is so tender in Limerick. Just like with the People's Park, the Georgian buildings are nice but they are not amazing or even unique as Dublin has them and a large portion of ours are uninhabited or in major disrepair.

I just feel that Limerick has a lot more to offer than just the Georgian buildings.

Just like the Milk Market, it is nice but it isn't amazing, the English market in Cork is a market.

I like Limerick and it has great character but saying it surpasses others on these criteria is just not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

I was responding to

The People's Park is pretty but it isn't an amazing park. Fitzgerald's Park is a decent size park, where you can't see one end of it while standing on the other. To think that other towns and cities in Ireland don't have parks that far exceed the People's Park is a bit naive.

I also see that I have hit the Georgian nerve that is so tender in Limerick. Just like with the People's Park, the Georgian buildings are nice but they are not amazing or even unique as Dublin has them and a large portion of ours are uninhabited or in major disrepair.

I just feel that Limerick has a lot more to offer than just the Georgian buildings.

Just like the Milk Market, it is nice but it isn't amazing, the English market in Cork is a market.

I like Limerick and it has great character but saying it surpasses others on these criteria is just not true.

My post was to give examples as to how Limerick can be viewed as a city and not just a large town.

It was never intended to showcase Limerick as better [or worse] than other urban areas in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

My apologies Cityslicker1 as I read
    Limerick is also grander than Cork or Galway as they lack architecture that can be seen in areas such as Pery square, John's square, the Cresent at the Daniel O'Connell statue etc & also lack parks like the peoples park.

as Limerick is grander than Cork or Galway as they lack architecture that can be seen in areas such as Pery square, John's square, the Cresent at the Daniel O'Connell statue etc & also lack parks like the peoples park.

And I thought that was a bold statement as Cork and Galway both have great architecture that is not Georgian and wonderful park facilities in their cities (again this is my opinion, and my opinion is not worth the paper it is written on)

• Advertisement
Advertisement