Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is an electrical CDM Course?

Options
  • 11-09-2012 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I am an apprentice electrician who has completed all 7 phases but needs to do a CDM course (3 week project instead of working to make up the 4 years). I am doing it after christmas in Shannon and Im wondering has anyone out there done it? Most of my experience is in domestic and I hear it could be anything, but haven't heard the difficulty level or whats really involved, I mean 3 WEEKS?? Any info would be great guys!!!!

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

I was told about the one in Baldoyle in Dublin, As far as I am aware the one in Shannon is slightly different but only slightly.
    It’s not that hard but just make sure ye have your regs with ye at all times, they are really out to check if ye stuck to regulations and safety checks during 3 week installation. Basically it’s a restaurant with office and toilet, you have to quote and design what you will do from a drawing they give ya.
    Two distribution boards single phase and three phase, fire alarm, emergency lighting (with test facility) and roller shutter. A few different type skts to install, different type’s lights, spurs, BGU’s, sounders, patch panel and a safety e-stop circuit for sockets. That’s pretty much it. Very tight for time, ye would not think it but ye have to do all the testing and verification before and after power up, ye know, all the regular certification a new installation has to have done. Most of the time is taken up making up all the tray and strut frames and then deciding what way you are going to run all different circuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lettuce_pray

Hey just got a call for the test, it gives a date for a one day mandatory briefing session, is this the start or will there be a break to prepare after this and how long of a break? Ive looked online for information regarding the format and schedule that the CDM takes but can find nothing; id just like to know what the schedule is like , thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Davy r

Hey just got a call for the test, it gives a date for a one day mandatory briefing session, is this the start or will there be a break to prepare after this and how long of a break? Ive looked online for information regarding the format and schedule that the CDM takes but can find nothing; id just like to know what the schedule is like , thanks

The test starts 2 weeks after briefing. Im on a waiting list for it . Any more info regarding the tet would be great. I heard youve to quote and design the installation as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I was in Baldoyle before christmas doing the Testing and Verification course across the corridor from where the lads were doing that.Our tutor brought us for a look in at them doing it.There looked to be a decent amount of work in it between unistrut,trunking,tray,fixtures and fittings etc. We were told the test was 70 hours and some seemed to need it all.
    We had nothing like that in my time a few years ago but it's a great thing IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

its a good idea but its a joke at how little are going through it. it does not make sense they only have 2 places doing it and its only ran 4 times a year September and December around now and April they break for the summer so if there's 5 lads on each one that's only 40 lads a year there going through it. and the waiting is in the thousands:o i am waiting since November and the Fas lady said it could be a year or more before i get called like were left in limbo to rot on the dole i don't understand why she would not let me keep my dole and work for the 6 months i am short instead of waiting on the dole for twice as long this test. like i am finding it hard to get someone to take me on when i have my 7 phases done none seem to want to pay me and i just cant afford to work for free. i am emigrating in a few weeks i don't want to but have no other option here and will come back only when i get called (if i do) for this test.

• Advertisement

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    its a good idea but its a joke at how little are going through it. it does not make sense they only have 2 places doing it and its only ran 4 times a year September and December around now and April they break for the summer so if there's 5 lads on each one that's only 40 lads a year there going through it. and the waiting is in the thousands:o i am waiting since November and the Fas lady said it could be a year or more before i get called like were left in limbo to rot on the dole i don't understand why she would not let me keep my dole and work for the 6 months i am short instead of waiting on the dole for twice as long this test. like i am finding it hard to get someone to take me on when i have my 7 phases done none seem to want to pay me and i just cant afford to work for free. i am emigrating in a few weeks i don't want to but have no other option here and will come back only when i get called (if i do) for this test.

Your spot on. Fas are really useless they need to get all redundant apprentices out of their time maybe even work for their dole with a governing body i kno i would do this just to past my time. I also have all phases completed am short a few months. I asked my training advisor when course will start she doesnt know so am i meant to twidle my thumbs till day put my life on hold for fas (excuse my ranting).But your right no company wants to pay 4 years only if there doing a Raps Scheme. The whole apprenticeship system is gone down the toilet. Fas aka find a sap there a joke. I think il give Joe duffy a ring during the week :-)

its a complete joke bud i was the same no1 really cares like we have all out 7 phases done and its not worth anything all the time we wasted studying in phase 4 and 6 was for nothing really that little book might be worth something here but it will just be laughed at abroad. its a joke when i look at canada and see how well there apprentices are looked after there is noway they would be let get away treating there apprentices like this i think the big thing is they have a union over there that actually looks after them:-)

its a complete joke bud i was the same no1 really cares like we have all out 7 phases done and its not worth anything all the time we wasted studying in phase 4 and 6 was for nothing really that little book might be worth something here but it will just be laughed at abroad. its a joke when i look at canada and see how well there apprentices are looked after there is noway they would be let get away treating there apprentices like this i think the big thing is they have a union over there that actually looks after them:-)

Desperate isnt it. Fas dont give a rats either. Ive got onto 3 different TDs all that can be done is this CDM scheme. And even the training advisors dont know when your starting there useless as well. I think if they put us with a governing body like working in a hospital or in Irishrail for example just to pass our time we shouldnt have to do another exam especially because redundant apprentices are out of work and just need the work experience and i know im not gonma know everything on this test. Its shocking im in the TEEU union theyre not bothered either i left several messages with them theyre not replying. I think they only care when you finish your time so then they get paid. Im serious about the Joe Duffy show i want to highlight the issue i know lots of apprentices are in the same boat an something needs to be done so il put my voice out on the radio. I dont know what else to do

yea mate i had that drive you seem to have now but i just gave up ya cant win it does not seem to matter how many of us there is.i rang tds sent letters and emails to teeu everyone you could think of head of fas head of electrical unions etc and nothing. i was on the raps scheme with a semi state company and when i was finished up they tried themselves to take me on but were turned down as it could have legal problems or some ****e. so they then tried other roots and in fairness to them they did try they tried to get me on that job bridge dole plus an extra 50 and fas turned them down saying i have everything done now its just to wait for this test:o 4 months later still waiting. as i said i heading off to Canada in a few weeks and will only come back for that test sad the way its gone skilled trades people like our-self not looked after.

yea mate i had that drive you seem to have now but i just gave up ya cant win it does not seem to matter how many of us there is.i rang tds sent letters and emails to teeu everyone you could think of head of fas head of electrical unions etc and nothing. i was on the raps scheme with a semi state company and when i was finished up they tried themselves to take me on but were turned down as it could have legal problems or some ****e. so they then tried other roots and in fairness to them they did try they tried to get me on that job bridge dole plus an extra 50 and fas turned them down saying i have everything done now its just to wait for this test:o 4 months later still waiting. as i said i heading off to Canada in a few weeks and will only come back for that test sad the way its gone skilled trades people like our-self not looked after.

I tell ya one thing i wont be dealing with FAS ever again after this. Its mad to think working for nothing as first and second year than getting bad wages on the raps scheme. Signing on and off the dole for phases 6 and 7 . And still havnt completed the apprenticeship thinking about it gives me a headache lol. I heard it also takes 5 months to get your results from the CDM. I have more information on the cdm theres 2 distrubution boards, single and three phase, fire alarm panel, emergency lighting w test facility, different type of lights and ind sockets(single and three phase) spurs, bgu s , sounders, patch panel, safety emergency stop in the skcket circuit , clean IT supply, 3 different type heaters, burco boiler, hand dryer. I also have info on correct cable selection and mcb ratimg for each one took a long while to find out

• Advertisement

yea i heard it was sum thing like that tbh i am just continuing on with my life i have wasted enough time on it tbh. i have a headaches from even thinking about it. its a joke full stop.. yea mate i was told that too it take up too 4 months to get the results and then when you do ya have to go back up and strip down the job haha it can get much worse haha:D i tell ya if i am lucky to get it done i will fly home and do it and fly straight back when its done and if they want someone to strip it down i will send up my mate or my brother **** that i wont be waiting around here any longer then i have too..

yea i heard it was sum thing like that tbh i am just continuing on with my life i have wasted enough time on it tbh. i have a headaches from even thinking about it. its a joke full stop.. yea mate i was told that too it take up too 4 months to get the results and then when you do ya have to go back up and strip down the job haha it can get much worse haha:D i tell ya if i am lucky to get it done i will fly home and do it and fly straight back when its done and if they want someone to strip it down i will send up my mate or my brother **** that i wont be waiting around here any longer then i have too..

Stripping it down are ya serious?.. Just the waiting game now . Im gonna get on with it too. Put too much in this never ending apprenticeship. Im getting old now need a decent wage steady job and no more head melting lol

yea i told the women in fas that i was leaveing and that i would come back when i got called ye said that was grand etc. but she then said that it would take up to 4 months to get results and that when i got the results i would then have to travel back up to take my project apart haha i was good old fas:D

yea i told the women in fas that i was leaveing and that i would come back when i got called ye said that was grand etc. but she then said that it would take up to 4 months to get results and that when i got the results i would then have to travel back up to take my project apart haha i was good old fas:D

If i got called in the next year or so il give you the lowdown on the whole thing.

yea sound lad hopefully i will get called for it in September but we shall see haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Ive always thought fas where a complete disgrace but reading this thread just makes me feel worse towards them!! I dont know how they get away with it!

me neither bud its a disgrace and me and him are only 2 examples i know 4 other mates all in the same boat all around the 6 months time frame of being short. 2 have gone to the army they have some chance of getting there cert as the army will probably put them through there time. the other 2 have gone back to coll doing something complete different to there trade the whole process just made them hate electrical as they wasted the best part of 4 years and have nothing to show apart from a stupid little book with 7 stickers that is not worth **** all to the them abroad. its not even the fact we are being pushy i work for phase 7 for the 12 weeks on 300 euro a week spent 120 a week of that on fuel so its not even the money we care about as i said already i offered to work for the dole and the jobs bridge scheme all turned down. nothing more i can do i am afraid only back my bags and head for Calgary.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Wintergreen

me neither bud its a disgrace and me and him are only 2 examples i know 4 other mates all in the same boat all around the 6 months time frame of being short. 2 have gone to the army they have some chance of getting there cert as the army will probably put them through there time. the other 2 have gone back to coll doing something complete different to there trade the whole process just made them hate electrical as they wasted the best part of 4 years and have nothing to show apart from a stupid little book with 7 stickers that is not worth **** all to the them abroad. its not even the fact we are being pushy i work for phase 7 for the 12 weeks on 300 euro a week spent 120 a week of that on fuel so its not even the money we care about as i said already i offered to work for the dole and the jobs bridge scheme all turned down. nothing more i can do i am afraid only back my bags and head for Calgary.:o

If you do go to Calgary you should take a "Recognition of Prior Learning" application with just in case you get some Electrical work.

I know the forms is for prior learning but I was short around 4/5 months after completing Phase 7 and decided not to hang around and go to Australia, I left in 2011. Obviously once there, without papers, I found it pretty hard to get electrical work but I eventually got in with a company who were desperate for lads. I worked with them as a Trade Assistant for 5-6 months before moving on but before I did I got a letter from my employer stating my dates of employment and detailing what type of work I had done along with the companies contact details. I then posted the completed application back, along with all my pay slip's, to FAS.

That was in October 2011, I returned to Ireland the following March and after a couple of calls to FAS I found out my application was being reviewed by FETAC as its entirely up to them to decide if you've met the requirements of the apprenticeship. It tooks months to hear from them but eventually my application was approved and after a few more months I recieved my certificate! It think the whole thing took 7 months.

I know a lot of you will have spoken to training advisors and they'll tell you that working abroad wont count towards your apprenticeship and what happened to me is not possible as well as the fact the form is for prior not post learning but I think there just happy to sign people off. Id even chance faking an application if you've exhausted all other options and see what happens as I know for a fact, neither FAS nor FETAC rang my employer in Australia.

Anyway I wish anyone stuck in limbo all the best! To be honest though getting signed off wont change much, the cert and my card have sat in a press since I got them and im back in college at the moment. Stilll at least you'll have something to show for your work.

Good luck ;)

cheers mate i will need it. i am 22 weeks short i had worked 11 weeks before i got registered and i was told the same thing if i could prove that i might be able to get it counted. so i can prove it anyway and when i inquired more about it the lady is Fas said there's not much point getting it counted because i will still be short. tbh i have kind of given up on the whole process i have nothing to show for the last few years. i will keep receipts of all my payslips if they are revel-vent to the job:D i just cant wait to get out of Ireland and not spend most days worrying about the stupid fas gimps or this never ending apprenticeship.. but thanks for the heads up :D

Just got a letter today for mandatory meeting for the test. About time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

I've gone through all the above too, did the RAPs scheme for phases 3, 5 and 7, passed all my exams first time to be told I'm 16 weeks short and that its not Fas's problem now, did the whole jobbridge thing too.

now I'm starting the cdm on monday. I havent had fulltime electrical work for 3 years and to be honest I'm bricking it...

Seanbass wrote: »
    I've gone trough all the above too, did the RAPs scheme for phases 3, 5 and 7, passed all my exams first time to be told I'm 16 weeks short and that its not Fas's problem now, did the whole jobbridge thing too.

now I'm starting the cdm on monday. I havent had fulltime electrical work for 3 years and to be honest I'm bricking it...

Where are you doing the CDM? Baldoyle is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

did you do it nutty? or waiting to get called to do it?

Where are you doing the CDM? Baldoyle is it?

yeah Its in Baldoyle..

Seanbass wrote: »
    yeah Its in Baldoyle..

Enjoy it,there's some amount of work to it :eek:

Unreal amount its fooking stupid. esb lads climb poles and play around with transformers and just cause they have 4 years work they get there certs when there not even electricians at all does not make sense.

Enjoy it,there's some amount of work to it :eek:

ha cheers! ,
    already found that out doing the pricing and trying to figure out how ill wire it.
    can't wait!,
    its a ridiculous system if you ask me. but sure I'll have to give it my best shot now either way..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 corminator

Anyone know what's involved in the plumbing side of this course

Ask on the plumbing forum mate that would be your best bet:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 corminator

Calgary22 wrote: »
    Ask on the plumbing forum mate that would be your best bet:D

Already did just took to long to get a reply so tried here

Advertisement