Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is an electrical CDM Course?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

Well were electrical so i don't no how much help we would be:D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

corminator wrote: »
    Anyone know what's involved in the plumbing side of this course

Would not know much about the plumbing one but all joking and smart answers aside , if you are actually even half a decent plumber you should have no problem at all..,, no need To be worried mate, you have now completed all phases and should be happy with the training you have had so far, if not it was up to your during your apprenticeship to make changes , if you are a confident and competent forth year it will be a piece of cake, just like the electrical one for confident and competent forth year's

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kings1990

Seanbass wrote: »
    yeah Its in Baldoyle..

How did you get on , im going in for the meeting on the 20 of may and starting on the 10 of june . would love some advise as i am ****ting it been out of the job for awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

kings1990 wrote: »
    How did you get on , im going in for the meeting on the 20 of may and starting on the 10 of june . would love some advise as i am ****ting it been out of the job for awhile

Hey,
    try not to worry about it too much, 3/4's through it at the minute, I'm a bit behind but there's no point panicking now....
    just make sure you do your homework, try get some idea in your head of what way you'll do it, draw out the wiring diagrams etc.
    main point I'd give is not to worry about everything being level and perfect measurements.
    get the first fix done so you can get to the wiring and testing asap.

I kinda disagree I would make sure everything is perfect measurement wise as we are meant to be following the regs so the heights should be in accordance with that. I advise have a plan every night of what ya want to do so the next day you won't be lost. Also if you smoke give them up now as ya don't want to be wasteing your time leaving for a fag.make sure you Earth everything and make sure all your connections are tight.these along with running out of time are the main reasons fail the fail rate is very high. I wish you all the best..

• Advertisement

He's correct with things being 100% level and absolutely perfect measurements , don't waste too much time on this ,once you meet the regulations your fine, the regs are not that tight ! Your being tested on your ability to complete the job in a professional manor ,in a reasonable enough time frame , to carry the job out in a safe manor , to follow instructions and design on provided paperwork and to conform to regulations..aesthetics are not really a major concern for the purpose of the test, but having said that if your job is completely and utterly all over the place well obviously it's not competed in a professional manor as a professional would not leave a job like a cowboy..... Just my tuppence worth...

Just be very particular on your containment, your earthing, your emergency lighting, and your limit switches & both types of interlock on the shutter .......

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

Calgary22 wrote: »
    I kinda disagree I would make sure everything is perfect measurement wise as we are meant to be following the regs so the heights should be in accordance with that.

Ofcourse I meant within reason, we were told that once the job is electrically sound then its ok, obviously keep switches and sockets etc within regs,
    I just meant not to worry about counduit runs being inch perfect or crooked, Lights being exactly measured out or trunking being slightly off, you wont be marked on it and you'll just be wasting time that could be used for wiring and testing.

But by all means make sure everything is earthed and bonded correctly and your wiring is perfect.

Does anyone know on completed the test and passing it is there a letter to say were qualified? Or is it a case of waiting another 6 months to receive the cert?

Calgary22 wrote: »
    Does anyone know on completed the test and passing it is there a letter to say were qualified? Or is it a case of waiting another 6 months to receive the cert?

You will receive a letter to say you have completed And passed the CDM, but unfortunately it will not state that you are a qualified electrician , the paper work will be processed by the board and then sent to fetac for certification, as far as I know the board only sit 4 to 6 times a year so it all depends on them, you can contact fetac and they will tell you if they recieved the papers from Fas or not , once that do , it will only be a matter of a week or two, then Fas will get your national craft cert and card an will nit bother to contact you straight away and will presume you are going to wait for the ceremony to get awarded your cert, you need to get into them after you know fetac have sent cert off to them and tell them to post directly to you, you will then have them within 2 days by registered post..... All I can say is keep nagging Fas . Over and over and over again, it's the only way you get anywhere fast with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 kings1990

Any update on the test lads , tips? how did it go , any more detail on whats involved

Read the first page of this thread it describes what is involved in the test. There's no real tips mate its basically were able to wire or not. The fail rate is quite high some times 60-80% per test its solo easily to fail.

Advertisement