Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Immigration Center Boston - Insurance when on the 12 months USA visa?

Options
  • 11-09-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I've hit a brick wall to be honest.

I'm currently organising to go to the USA in December. Ill be there for 14 months in total.

I've booked my visa through the Irish Immigration Center, Boston. I now need to arrange to have insurance - And I'm finding it all a bit confusing trying to figure out if the insurance meets all the requirements.

Most insurance companies seem to offer insurance for a maximum of 12 months so that's another issue which complicates things. Although, the IIIC have told me that I can just book insurance for 12 months and then renew it for the final 2 months!

I've gotten a quote of 189.99 euro for premier and 225.99 for premier plus from Backpacker Insurance (which will cover me for the full 14 months) - At the moment this seems like the best bet but I was just interested to see what companies other people are using!

I'd really appreciate any advice or opinions on this! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Orla.B

Hi Monkey09

I'm also applying for a visa through the IIIC & I'm looking through insurers at the moment myself; the only issue I could find with Backpacker Insurance was that they didn't seem to be specific enough in relation to repatriation (this needs to be $7,500) and expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or home country (this needs to be $10,000). I'm thinking of going with a US company as it should guarantee the appropriate level of cover but many of the Irish companies are coming in a lot cheaper so if I get confirmation that the level of cover is okay, I'll be going for the cheapest one!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

Orla.B wrote: »
    Hi Monkey09

I'm also applying for a visa through the IIIC & I'm looking through insurers at the moment myself; the only issue I could find with Backpacker Insurance was that they didn't seem to be specific enough in relation to repatriation (this needs to be $7,500) and expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or home country (this needs to be $10,000). I'm thinking of going with a US company as it should guarantee the appropriate level of cover but many of the Irish companies are coming in a lot cheaper so if I get confirmation that the level of cover is okay, I'll be going for the cheapest one!

Hi Orla.B,
    Thanks for your reply! I know what you mean - I looked into all the insurers and found that Backpacker insurance was by far the cheapest. Like you, I was unsure if it gave the required level of coverage so I contacted them and they assured me that their insurance met all the requirements! I figured that the IIIC wouldn't have listed them as one of the providers if their coverage wasn't sufficient so I took out Backpacker insurance (Premier Plus)! I thought it was very good value! :D

Perfect, I think I'll go with them myself; the more money I can save for New York, the better! We're heading over at the end of November so it's a bit of a panic at the moment! I work in insurance so I thought that organising that part would be the easiest but it seems to be almost as much work as trying to find a job! Where are you planning on moving to in the US?

Perfect, I think I'll go with them myself; the more money I can save for New York, the better! We're heading over at the end of November so it's a bit of a panic at the moment! I work in insurance so I thought that organising that part would be the easiest but it seems to be almost as much work as trying to find a job! Where are you planning on moving to in the US?

That's true! The more money that can be saved, the better! I hear finding a job is the US can be tough aswell. I'm looking for a job in the legal field and was planning on moving to New York but several people have told be that there is an over-supply of lawyers in New York so I might have to re-think things a bit. I'm looking into Boston at the moment. I'm not going until the end of December so I still have a good bit of time to organise everything thankfully! Have you found accomodation in New York yet?

Monkey09 wrote: »
    That's true! The more money that can be saved, the better! I hear finding a job is the US can be tough aswell. I'm looking for a job in the legal field and was planning on moving to New York but several people have told be that there is an over-supply of lawyers in New York so I might have to re-think things a bit. I'm looking into Boston at the moment. I'm not going until the end of December so I still have a good bit of time to organise everything thankfully! Have you found accomodation in New York yet?

We haven't found anything yet, we've been looking in the Woodside area of Queens as it's a quick commute to Manhattan. Boston is a great city; I was only there for a few days but the transport system is great & there are loads of great places to eat. Though with New York, most large businesses would have a legal department so there may be job opportunities there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Hi,

Heading to NYC in 6 weeks as well.

Can someone post a link to the " Backpacker insurance (Premier Plus)! " insurance policy.

Thanks

delaney001 wrote: »
    Hi,

Heading to NYC in 6 weeks as well.

Can someone post a link to the " Backpacker insurance (Premier Plus)! " insurance policy.

Thanks
    Hi Delaney001, sorry for not getting back to you sooner, the link is https://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/index.asp. How are your plans for moving going?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Hi Delaney001, sorry for not getting back to you sooner, the link is https://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/index.asp. How are your plans for moving going?

Hey,

Ah there not too bad, I handed in my notice in work last week, so no going back now.

Applied for the Visa a week ago with IIC, prob should have applied sooner but just took a notion there 2 weeks ago and decided to go for it.

Have you received your Visa yet or what stage are you at?

Have you had any luck with jobs or accomodation etc?

delaney001 wrote: »
    Hey,

Ah there not too bad, I handed in my notice in work last week, so no going back now.

Applied for the Visa a week ago with IIC, prob should have applied sooner but just took a notion there 2 weeks ago and decided to go for it.

Have you received your Visa yet or what stage are you at?

Have you had any luck with jobs or accomodation etc?

I have received the visa but still on the job & house-hunt; I'm hoping to have more luck when I get there

I have received the visa but still on the job & house-hunt; I'm hoping to have more luck when I get there

Hi Orla,
    I hope your plans are going well. When are you off? I'll be going in exactly 6 weeks today so I'm really starting to look forward to it!

I've just started looking into accomodation myself and I've come accross a really good website called ''easyroommate.com''. There's plenty of ads there for rooms/apartments all over the USA. It seems great to me. The only catch is that you have to subscribe in order to get full advantage of the site (like seeing private messages, etc.) I think the subscription is fairly modest though! Just thought I'd let you know! :)

• Advertisement

Monkey09 wrote: »
    Hi Orla,
    I hope your plans are going well. When are you off? I'll be going in exactly 6 weeks today so I'm really starting to look forward to it!

I've just started looking into accomodation myself and I've come accross a really good website called ''easyroommate.com''. There's plenty of ads there for rooms/apartments all over the USA. It seems great to me. The only catch is that you have to subscribe in order to get full advantage of the site (like seeing private messages, etc.) I think the subscription is fairly modest though! Just thought I'd let you know! :)
    Hi Monkey09,
    We're heading over on Tuesday so just one day left! We're staying in an apartment for a few days and will view places when we get there; when I house-hunted last in Dublin some places looked great on paper but weren't the best when we went to view them. I'll definitely check out that website. I've been looking on "sublet.com" which also requires a subscription

Advertisement