Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something intresting @ birr

Options
  • 11-09-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

at the birr game fair this year there was a stall beside the main arena that had sum vintage rifles and smooth bore guns, one thing caught my eye it was a hitler youth gun if memory serves me right, and had a very intresting action on it was a 10 shot semi auto but also bolt action!!!
    As in a standard bolt action rifle u push the bolt forward and the bolt strips a round from the mag and chambers it, now in this gun if u leave the bolt in the forward position but dont lock the bolt down the gun fuctions in a semi auto straight blowback style but if u lock the bolt down u have a standard bolt action style gun, maybe just me but i was a little amazed by it, lol and got me thinking what other obscure style guns are out there? also cant think of the name of the rifle above so if u know the one i mean let me know? thanks sorry bout the spelling haha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Seen something similar in Fingalsports couple of months back.
    Years ago I got to handle a 'Cape Buffalo' gun (I think that was the name) it was a carbine style side by side smooth bore with a third large caliber rifled barrel slung underneath. The RFD said it was a big game gun and had been purchased by an Irish client but was been shiped to an overseas address.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭badaj0z

The bolt/semi rifle was probably a Walther. there were a few around in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Seen something similar in Fingalsports couple of months back.
    Years ago I got to handle a 'Cape Buffalo' gun (I think that was the name) it was a carbine style side by side smooth bore with a third large caliber rifled barrel slung underneath. The RFD said it was a big game gun and had been purchased by an Irish client but was been shiped to an overseas address.

Sounds more like a standard traditional German hunting "Drilling".
    Which is apprently an exellent big cat gun for those who hunt lions ,etc.

Cape guns to give them the correct title are ,or were a SXS with one barrel smooth and one rifled.Usually around a 20GA shotgun and a big game calibre of a high 3 to high 4 somthing.
    The really deluxe versions were 3 barrel set affairs,with a SXS , SXS rifle shotgun and SXS rifle.

The .22 is a walther model 1 made around the 1920s.
    Intresting video here on youtube about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V75zay8n0So

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Cape guns to give them the correct title are ,or were a SXS with one barrel smooth and one rifled.Usually around a 20GA shotgun and a big game calibre of a high 3 to high 4 somthing.
    The really deluxe versions were 3 barrel set affairs,with a SXS , SXS rifle shotgun and SXS rifle.

The .22 is a walther model 1 made around the 1920s.
    Intresting video here on youtube about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V75zay8n0So

Or a paradox gun with smooth bores except for the last 3 or 4 inches at the muzzle end where the barrels will give a round lead ball a spin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_gun

Wicki article on both of them here .
    Cape guns
    A cape gun is a side-by-side version of a combination gun, and is typically European. German and Austrian cape guns have the rifle barrel on the right side and it is fired by the front trigger. The front trigger is usually a set trigger as well. British versions of this firearm position the rifle barrel on the left. These were at one time popular in southern Africa where a wide variety of game could be encountered. A combination such as the .450-577 British service cartridge and a 12-gauge shotgun was common.

Rest of Wiki Article.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

They are pretty cool guns, hers another vid of it firing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I too have one of these lovely old rifles, bought by my dad around 1930 in Cork. I learnt to shoot with it, first as a single shot, then as a 5-shot magazine fed, then as a semi-auto. It is also on Youtube under tac's guns - Walther Model 1. Yours is the earlier version with the sliding shot-gun style safety. Mine has a heavy barrel and a wing, Mauser-type flag, safety, and D&T holes for a receiver sight - another VERY rare item. Nice to see that yours has a proper old scope on it, too. I have the made-for-it Walther scope.

Whatever else you do, do NOT lose the magazine - the real things are VERY rare and the last one I saw on ebay a few years ago was $120. A company in RSA makes a copy, but they are, by all accounts, pretty flimsy.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It's not mine unfortunately, I wish it was though. You have some pretty cool guns in your collection tac. Must be nice to have your dad's rifle.:)

juice1304 wrote: »
    It's not mine unfortunately, I wish it was though. You have some pretty cool guns in your collection tac. Must be nice to have your dad's rifle.:)

That it is. I had all his guns. All but one survived the Great Betrayal in 1997 - they all ended up in Oregon except the Walther PP - I just could not bear to part with it and had it deactivated so I could keep it with me here in yUK.

Best

tac

Here's a pretty good blog on these rifles.
    http://waltherrifles.blogspot.ie/
    Breatta even made a copy of these rifles .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

I was caught by the title 'something interesting in Birr' I had to find out if such a thing existed! Only joking.

Fascinating rifle! Very cool and a real bunny basher! As rare as hens teeth I bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

I am in the process of buying something similar at the moment, its a voere .22 semi auto / bolt action. looks like a regular semi-auto, but you can lock the bolt forward to stop it cycling. When it is fired in this mode, it automatically unlocks so you can manually pull the bolt back, and it works like a semi auto untill you lock it forward again. Its locked by pushing in a button on the cocking handle itself. A very nice design, and I am well impressed by the Voere rifle in general, has a very good quality feel to it.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Here is a picture of the "Dreilingsgewehr" which is probably what I saw (minus scope), although I seem to remember the one I handled was very ornate around the stock, so much so it looked uncomfortable, but once you picked it up and shouldered it, it fit like a glove. Can't find a pic on the net of an ornate stocked one.
    Gebruder_Merkel_Drilling_1609.jpg

Seemingly they where issued to German Air Crews operating in Africa during WWII

Yes, the Luftwaffe in NA was issued with drillings made by J.P. Sauer. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M30_Luftwaffe_drilling

I saw one - not for sale - at a gun show in Eugene a while back. The proud owner had paid $25K for it the week before - complete in its aluminium case and with all accessories. It was quite plain and utilitarian-looking, but was a very fine-looking piece nonetheless.

tac

Here is a picture of the "Dreilingsgewehr" which is probably what I saw (minus scope), although I seem to remember the one I handled was very ornate around the stock, so much so it looked uncomfortable, but once you picked it up and shouldered it, it fit like a glove. Can't find a pic on the net of an ornate stocked one.
    Gebruder_Merkel_Drilling_1609.jpg

Seemingly they where issued to German Air Crews operating in Africa during WWII

Sir - nobody in their right mind would take a drilling to shoot a lion. What is needed is a quick double shot of the same calibre, not a single shot of a selection, one or two of which is/are shot.

See my recent YouTube movies of two such rifles being shot on our range - tac's guns -double rifles

tac

The ornate stocks are usually custom designs orderd by the owner.By and large it is more a showpiece rich mans gun than a working gun then
    Austrian Ferlach guns are big into this.

The Luftwaffe Drilling was issued to any long range aircraft operating over very remote terrain.Even their long range FW200 Condor aircraft had them. Expensive and came with a pretty complete survival kit for the gun.
    It was Hermann Gorings personal idea and order for his crews to be issued with these guns.Hoiwever they were expensive to produce in wartime and ate huge amounts of war materialand gun makers time,and as the war turned against the Germans the luftwaffe was becoming less effective,many of these guns were issued to the Volksturm[German home gaurd] to use against the Russians.

18213_1785_1_lg.jpg

They are worth a fortune now. The above one is the most complete I've ever seen and sold for 25 thousand dollars at auction!!!Only thing that is not original with it is the scope as the Luftwaffe drillings did not have any mounting facilities for one.

Apprently there is possibly one or two of them here in Ireland that were "liberated" from crashed German Condors in ww2

There also a few in England ,liberated from shot down aircraft,but have unfortuneatly been ruined by people converting the lower rifle barrel to either .22 somthings or .410 or blocking them completely to keep them on the shotgun certificates rather than on a FAC.Thuss ruining any collector value.:(

While we are on the subject of weird .22s ,anyone ever see this one??

Called the Unique.22 combo.It was a .22 pistol that also worked as a rifle.
    By slotting it into the rifle stock and chambering a round via the front lever under the barrel you had a nifty pistol carbine.

Have only ever seen one here many years ago,during the time of the TCO of 1972 era as well.It apprently could be still possessed once the gun was pinned into the stock!!!Dont ask how it was done,cleaning it must have been a real intresting affair too.:rolleyes::p
    1.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

http://www.americanrifleman.org/m-articlepage.aspx?id=2410&cid=1
    Grizzly I know its a different gun but its when its configured as a carbine it is similar in operation as the above Unique .22 semi rifle. First round is chamberd by depressing the rod slung under the barrel which acted on the breach block.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

http://www.americanrifleman.org/m-articlepage.aspx?id=2410&cid=1
    Grizzly I know its a different gun but its when its configured as a carbine it is similar in operation as the above Unique .22 semi rifle. First round is chamberd by depressing the rod slung under the barrel which acted on the breach block.

Here's a video from an Irish guy of that rifle:)

Advertisement