Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian mobile networks

Options
  • 11-09-2012 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

leaving for perth in 2 week time, just looking for any info anyone may have in regards to the best network for mobile plan to get when i arrive. using my phone for the obvious calls, texts, and a good bit data use.
    i hear something about "optus"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

http://www.amaysim.com.au/ there the best value for money, 4GB of data, Facebook and other social media sites are free and not counted in the 4GB, for $40 a month,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

+1 for amaysim it piggy backs off Optus network.
    The best coverage is Telstra but they are also the most expensive
    Optus have good coverage
    And Vodafone have a pretty poor rep, for coverage, and got into big trouble for lieing about massive faults in network.

Cities are fine but if doing regional work check what networks get coverage first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

yep, amaysim aren't bad, but they are an mvno using the optus network. That's not a bad thing though. I'm on Virgin, who also piggyback off Optus. Telstra definitely has the best coverage and consistent signal strength, but Optus is very good too. And for $40 with amaysim, with no contract and no exit fees, you can't go too wrong really. Steer well clear of Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

If you're going anywhere remote the only one that'll be consistent is Telstra. If you're just staying in cities then the above would be best as Telstra is expensive.

Avoid Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Optus are absolute cunts, to put it mildly, for dealing with.

I'm with Vodafone sadly having been shifted over from 3 when they merged. Another year on my contract :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Optus are absolute cunts, to put it mildly, for dealing with.

I'm with Vodafone sadly having been shifted over from 3 when they merged. Another year on my contract :rolleyes:

I'm with Telstra pre-pay on my iPhone. Decided to get a mobile broadband dongle with Vodafone on a years contract. Big mistake!... Heap of junk!

irishmover wrote: »
    I'm with Telstra pre-pay on my iPhone. Decided to get a mobile broadband dongle with Vodafone on a years contract. Big mistake!... Heap of junk!

Yeah they're terrible. I work in the city and can't get 3G most of the time so had a whinge and got my bill halved for the next three months. A small win but I'll keep finding ways to have a moan and get a reduction until the contract is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

+1 on telstra being the dearest shower of cu*ts out here, but to be honest the whole mobile phone network are years behind Ireland out here for packages and value. once you live outside of the city they really put the saddle on you:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

sponge_bob wrote: »
    but to be honest the whole mobile phone network are years behind Ireland out here for packages and value.

I would have said the opposite, Amaysim have $40 unlimited texts, calls (to any number) and 4Gb data

I don't think any network can compare with this in Ireland.

Great offer but it doesn't help with the problem of having to have your own handset to take advantage of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

In fairness, handsets are a dime a dozen now. If you want a nice shiney new handset then sign a contract. If you already have one or just want something cheap then amaysim would be fine.

jank wrote: »
    In fairness, handsets are a dime a dozen now. If you want a nice shiney new handset then sign a contract. If you already have one or just want something cheap then amaysim would be fine.

But I want both! :mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Optus through Woolworths is ok, $30 a month for 5GB of internet, and it lasts 45 days. Haven't managed to run out of credit yet, but I'm using imessage which doesn't use up credit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

BOF666 wrote: »
    Optus through Woolworths is ok, $30 a month for 5GB of internet, and it lasts 45 days. Haven't managed to run out of credit yet, but I'm using imessage which doesn't use up credit...
    Get a Woolies card and the Optus top up only costs €26 for 45 days, brilliant deal. Even some ozzie friends are thinking of switching from contract to woolies optus.
    Have broadband with Optus though and while it works fine, Optus are really bad to deal with, looking forward to contract ending with them. Must see if I can argue a reduction.

hussey wrote: »
    I would have said the opposite, Amaysim have $40 unlimited texts, calls (to any number) and 4Gb data

I don't think any network can compare with this in Ireland.

Yeah try getting anysim down here in Bunbury:mad:
    if I ring home it costs me 99cents a minute from my mobile, my wife on the other hand (who is still in Ireland) has 750 free minutes to anywhere in the world unlimited texts to anywhere in the world, free network calls, 500 mins any network calls and 2gb download all for €45 a month on vodafone billpay.

Oh and another thing they have here which I havnt seen in Ireland for donkeys years is, if you dont use your credit in thirty days though sh*t

That sounds good, whats their coverage like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

As mentioned, Vodafone is on par with herpes. Stay well away from them. Nothing like Vodafone Europe whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Optus coverage is really good in Bunbury mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

I have this offer too, very pleased with it.

I tether my phone to the laptop and use the data this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I'm with Vodafone and haven't had any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Fairly good yeah, I've had mates that changed over from Vodafone and Virgin, they said Optus was a big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭site designer

Optus $300 credit for $30 for 30 days and .5GB data, which is more then enough for me, seriously what are people downloading on their phones that uses 4GB in a month?

you have to buy at least $30, don't ever buy $10 credit in Australia, it's essentially buy $1 etc - but rates become reasonable when you get the deals, we means spending at least $30 a month on your phone, but very cheap for international, works out at about 15c a min

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Optus $300 credit for $30 for 30 days and .5GB data, which is more then enough for me, seriously what are people downloading on their phones that uses 4GB in a month?

You can easily use that much if you tether to laptop, which I do a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lavelle72

I switched from Vodafone (like all the rest of their customers) to Telstra - happy with that decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ramshackled

I've been with Vodafone and Optus (currently with VF) and cant see a whole lot of difference within Sydney/Melbourne areas so if you're planning to stay within the metro areas, it doesnt make a huge amount of difference which one you go for, just check the price plans.. both absolute cackk tbh although the coverage outside of the cities is clearly better with optus, just look at the coverage maps to see which suits better:

Telstra:
    http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/our-coverage/mobile-broadband/

Vodafone
    http://www.vodafone.com.au/aboutvodafone/network/checker?cid=v%3Aredirect%3Aurl%3A248

OPtus
    http://www.optus.com.au/aboutoptus/About+Optus/Network+Coverage/Optus+Network+Coverage+Maps/Qld

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

I recently switched over to Woolies Mobile from Vodafone here.
    Can't beat it. 5gb's of Data with 500 credit for 45 days.

I manage to get through roughly 4gb's max for the 45 days and that's with alot of wireless tethering to my Laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Yeah try getting anysim down here in Bunbury:mad:
    if I ring home it costs me 99cents a minute from my mobile, my wife on the other hand (who is still in Ireland) has 750 free minutes to anywhere in the world unlimited texts to anywhere in the world, free network calls, 500 mins any network calls and 2gb download all for €45 a month on vodafone billpay.

Oh and another thing they have here which I havnt seen in Ireland for donkeys years is, if you dont use your credit in thirty days though sh*t

I'm 20 mins from Bunbury and I haven't once had a problem with coverage with Amysim!

The only bad thing with Amysim is because you get calls and texts included you can't really ring abroad, but with the 4GB you've always got viber I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

One thing about Optus is they resell their network to a lot of other providers so service can be very congested and poor in some areas. I had an Optus plan and 3G coverage around Brunswick and inner north of Melbourne was terrible. I got a Telstra phone from work and difference is huge. Have both a 3G and 4G service with them now and network quality is excellent, I tether the 4G handset to laptop and regularly get better speeds than neighbour's get on ADSL broadband.

*** I work for Telstra but above is based on my own and gf's experience of using multiple providers, Telstra has lots of faults and is not cheap but it is by far best quality network in Aus at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ben10afc

I'm with telstra, the past few days when I try to text some contacts I get the reply ''short message transfer rejected'' , not sure what it could be as it only happens with a few contacts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement