Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-social behaviors towards houses and gardens questions?

• 11-09-2012 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭

What offensives can kids be charged with for following
    and what are the likely punishments?

a) stone/missile throwing at a house causing criminal damage
    b) stone/missile throwing at a house but not causing any criminal damage
    c) throwing rubbish into a garden (small items)

Can adults be charged with anything if they see their kids doing above but fail to stop/act or punish them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Kids under 12 can't be charged with anything.

Kids over 12 but under 18 would be entitled to inclusion in the Juvenile Diversion Program.

Their parents wouldn't be charged unless it could be proven they were directing them to commit the offences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

A good slap should be allowed as a punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

What offensives can kids be charged with for following
    and what are the likely punishments?

a) stone/missile throwing at a house causing criminal damage
    b) stone/missile throwing at a house but not causing any criminal damage
    c) throwing rubbish into a garden (small items)

Can adults be charged with anything if they see their kids doing above but fail to stop/act or punish them?

You could always sue civilly for nuisance if it's ongoing. The age for responsibility in tort is quite low and once there is property damage certain bars are removed.

Note: Theses are the voyages of the starship First Year Law Student. It's five year mission to give people duff information and half arsed legal theories. To Boldly get it wrong where no man has got it wrong before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Note: Theses are the voyages of the starship First Year Law Student. It's five year mission to give people duff information and half arsed legal theories. To Boldly get it wrong where no man has got it wrong before.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

charlemont wrote: »
    A good slap should be allowed as a punishment.

that's an option but what happens after that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

You could always sue civilly for nuisance if it's ongoing. The age for responsibility in tort is quite low and once there is property damage certain bars are removed.

I cannot identify which kid(there is dozens of them over there) is doing it as the back wall over which the stuff is coming is too high, I might be able to get a photo if
    I am there when it is happening
    I climb wall ( a bit of hassle)
    and catch them in act.

The back wall faces onto a council estate.

Could I sue the council or try to get the individuals.

What is the name of the actually offense?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

MagicSean wrote: »
    Kids under 12 can't be charged with anything.

Kids over 12 but under 18 would be entitled to inclusion in the Juvenile Diversion Program.

Their parents wouldn't be charged unless it could be proven they were directing them to commit the offences.

Actually, doli incapax was abolished in relation to certain offences, with the consent of the DPP. It was the 2007 Act, far as I know. The ages are correct, but let's be specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Tom Young wrote: »
    Actually, doli incapax was abolished in relation to certain offences, with the consent of the DPP. It was the 2007 Act, far as I know. The ages are correct, but let's be specific.

Wasn't that for rape offences and murder only? I don't think the ops problem has gotten that far.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

MagicSean wrote: »
    Wasn't that for rape offences and murder only? I don't think the ops problem has gotten that far.

Yep: Serious scheduled offences. You're of course correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I cannot identify which kid(there is dozens of them over there) is doing it as the back wall over which the stuff is coming is too high, I might be able to get a photo if
    I am there when it is happening
    I climb wall ( a bit of hassle)
    and catch them in act.

The back wall faces onto a council estate.

Could I sue the council or try to get the individuals.

What is the name of the actually offense?

I think you're pretty scuppered :( I can't imagine you could sue the council. Perhaps you could make a complaint - ask them to install CCTV or do something to prevent them throwing stuff over?

You'd have to catch the same people in the act over and over again. It has to be ongoing. Sorry OP seems like a crappy situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement