Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to australia

Options
  • 11-09-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi guys,im wondering could someone advise me on moving to oz.im a social care worker here.my partner was a plasterer but has no work and I have a ten year old daughter. Could anyone give me advise on movin to oz.im not sure if it's the right decision. Would I be able to get a good social care job there and my partner has no papers but could he get work plastering?? Also does anyone know what the schools are like? And what's the best part of oz to live in for families?also how much savings roughly would I need to move over without too much worry for first while?thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cheap digital slr cameras

Australia is a big country. Actually, by its total area, it is the world's sixth largest country. If you will work there, there will be a great opportunity because the population is big enough. Schools are great for your child. The government is constitutional so do not worry for anything. It is just hard to move from a place to another. It is like another year of coping with new environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Plenty of well paid work out here for social care workers, depending on where you go your partner should have no problem getting work. Once you stick to the main population areas you should have no problems with work, my wife has a cousin that moved to Darwin about 3 mths ago, where she says there is heaps of work ther in that line, if you can stick the constant heat and humidity, but she can and loves it up there.

There are private and public schools here and being a father of 3 Iam currently researching this at the moment, the private schools for our kids would work out at 5-6k minimum a year for the 3 of them, the public school only requires you to have a uniform, bag, pens and pencils the rest is provided by the school. Its a bit like Ireland really in that there is good schools and bad schools in both the public and private system so you still have to do your research, the school system here is more similar to the british than the irish in that they do O and A levels and not inter and leaving certs. College is alot easier to get into over here as they are fee paying institutions and not as results orientated as they are in Ireland or Britian. There is a system here where the govt. gives an interest free loan to the child if they wish to attend 3rd level education and the family cannot afford the fees, this is paid back by the child once they enter the working enviroment through their tax where they pay a few % extra until the loan is cleared.

The monetary side of things is really hard to put a figure on, one family may do on 15k but another family may struggle on 50k to get started. it really depends on what life style you are used to, what kind of car you want to buy, where you rent your house etc. But be very aware that Australia is a much more expensive place to live in than Ireland, A 3 bed house here can cost 300+ a week to rent, the bond is normally calculated at 4 weeks rent and some landlords/estate agents may also require 4 weeks rent upfront on top of this. Any decent car costs about 8K+ and thats probably 10yrs old at that:eek: if you buy a big engined yoke set aside at least another 100 for petrol, food for a family of 3 will cost about 250+ a week, electricity costs about 200 every 2 mths, gas roughly the same, water is about 250 every 3 mths, expect to pay 180+ a month for foxtel/sky, internet, phone if you sign up for a package with telstra or similar, mobile phone as mentioned in another thread cost roughly 30 a mth for any decent pre paid offer. A night on the town:eek: I just won't even get into it.
    Oh and depending where you decide to move to get A/C in your car and house actually where ever you go with the exception of Tasmania get A/C, actually get it in Tasmania aswell:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 veyron

hi all
    this thread has probally been done a thousand times, got offered a job in perth and am been sponsored out by a big company on a 457 visa all paid for including relocation costs and starting on about 80k AUD basic , what im looking to find out is it all its cracked up to be and not bben smart but inm fed up with Ireland i have two young daughters and a loving wife but i dint know whats going to be here for us in the next year or so, we are in our early thirties ,i suppose im using the old phrase (every savage loves his own native shores) and i suppose its the fear of the unknown is the thing, now i have it will researched (cost of living . schools, etc but is there anyone out there who has moved there family out there

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Iam in the process of doing it at the moment, I came out in early July with the intention of getting work and house etc etc before the wife and kids come over, they are coming over in the next 4-5weeks. I suppose it is early days yet but I do think it is over rated, the only difference I see is that I can get a job here where I cant in Ireland, other than that Ireland is streets ahead. Oh and the weather is better, allthough it does rain a good bit here but not in a miserable way like it does back home where everything is damp and gloomy for weeks on end, that will be followed in the next few months by extreme heat, 40deg+ and mosquitos, tons of them:mad:.

Advertisement