Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic cops slip lane n6 from ind estate to briar hill lights

Options
  • 11-09-2012 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

The traffic cops were pulling here this evening, penalty points in all just because people going to the left use the left lane to get home a few minutes early, it's so annoying the way this country has gone its just another form of tax, you would think they could be out after speeding etc, it's a while lane that goes yellow then back to white for the junction!! Nuts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

i disagree. its about time the cops started paying attention to stuff like this. i only hope that they start monitoring yellow box junctions for dickheads who stop in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

It's not a yellow box there is no need for a hard lane here it could easily be painted white and allow people to get home early!! It's already white for most of its length

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

about time they got of there asses to do some work. galway is an awful city with traffic and people breaking the rules.
    people shouldnt be giving out because they got caught. if you dont know the rules of the road, dont drive

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Kraftwerk91

Good, I hope they start doing the same to the drivers who use the hard shoulder as an extra traffic lane. The amount of people who I saw doing it yesterday morning coming up to the traffic lights from the N17 was shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

There's a race meeting on. Which probably explains that particular situation. For the rest of the year it will go unregarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

gally74 wrote: »
    The traffic cops were pulling here this evening, penalty points in all just because people going to the left use the left lane to get home a few minutes early, it's so annoying the way this country has gone its just another form of tax, you would think they could be out after speeding etc, it's a while lane that goes yellow then back to white for the junction!! Nuts
    Not nuts at all. I almost had a very serious accident there last week because of an idiot using the hard shoulder as his own personal extra lane. I was coming out the N6 approaching the Briar Hill junction and wanted to go towards the airport. I was already in the left lane so legally there should have been no traffic on my inside. I started to change to the extra left lane at the junction at the point where that lane legally starts. Only at the very last moment did I notice some gob****e bombing up the hard shoulder trying to beat me to the turn. If I hadn't noticed and slammed on the brakes he would have gone straight into the the passenger side of my car as he had nowhere else to go and was going too fast to have been able to stop. My daughter was sitting by the rear passenger door and she would have borne the brunt of the impact.

The other car was a black BMW 3 series for what it's worth. It shouldn't matter but unfortunately it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

^^^A common occurrence, in my experience.

Anywhere there is extra physical space, whether it's a legal driving lane or not, is all too often used by motorists trying to sneak past you (the objective being to get in front at all costs, even it's just one vehicle that's overtaken).

In my experience this kind of thing happens on roundabouts, hatched areas, bus lanes, cycle lanes, footpaths, you name it. When you're driving it's bad enough when you have a car racing up to your left or right on a hatched area or in the wrong lane on a roundabout, but when you're on a bike, especially with children on board, it's intimidating and infuriating.

I wasn't tuned in to the fact that the September race meeting on, but I'm inclined to agree with the earlier post that the Garda presence is related to that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Seen them there before doing the same thing. Best part was they had a BE bus pulled up for running up the hard shoulder. This was months ago and nothing got to do with the races.

I think a lot of traffic could be eased if they had made the turning lanes into Parkmore coming from the clinic and hogans longer. But they are not and people running down the hard shoulder are going to cause a huge accident some day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I saw the Garda enforcing this earlier this year, when the races were'nt on.
    Traffic is backed up on that stretch most evenings year round and this has been going on for years. I was almost hit by a hard shoulder driver in that very location in 2006. It's a preventable injury or death.

Can I add that the Garda were not stopping people on the slip lane, they are enforcing legislation regarding driving on the hard shoulder.

It's not a yellow box there is no need for a hard lane here it could easily be painted white and allow people to get home early!! It's already white for most of its length

not saying that it is a box junction gally, just saying that stopping in box junctions is a gob****es game. whilst not a major risk in terms of causing an accident it is a huge inconvenience to anyone looking to use them. as for the need for a hard shoulder here, i would again have to disagree. they are there for a purpose and should be used accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

kayos wrote: »
    Seen them there before doing the same thing. Best part was they had a BE bus pulled up for running up the hard shoulder. This was months ago and nothing got to do with the races.

I think a lot of traffic could be eased if they had made the turning lanes into Parkmore coming from the clinic and hogans longer. But they are not and people running down the hard shoulder are going to cause a huge accident some day.
    I *think* they are extending that right turning lane as part of the Coolagh roundabout works.

Hard shoulder driving was going on again this evening. No Garda in sight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

snubbleste wrote: »
    Hard shoulder driving was going on again this evening. No Garda in sight though.

It happens most evenings.

zarquon wrote: »
    It happens most evenings.
    I said as such in #10

For some reason it reminds of fish schooling, as a response to predator attack. The Blue Sharks have taken their prey, so the rest can continue as before...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Hard Shoulder drivers :mad:
    They should put in a camera and hit them all with a 200 euro fine and 2 points.
    While they are at it they should add red light cameras to all the new traffic lights.
    They can have a fine starting at 200 and increasing by 100 for every half second after the red.
    Not only will it improve Galway driver behavior quickly it will raise revenue.

And blood pressure...

dloob wrote: »
    Hard Shoulder drivers :mad:
    They should put in a camera and hit them all with a 200 euro fine and 2 points.
    While they are at it they should add red light cameras to all the new traffic lights.
    They can have a fine starting at 200 and increasing by 100 for every half second after the red.
    Not only will it improve Galway driver behavior quickly it will raise revenue.

i am all for this red light camera idea!! we can call it the red light district. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

all just because people going to the left use the left lane to get home a few minutes early
    If its only saving you a few minutes then why bother breaking the law? Are you going home to split the atom or something?

Classic Irish attitude though, I got caught breaking the law ergo the law is wrong, the gardaí are wrong and everyone else is wrong except me as I should be allowed pick and choose the laws I obey.

Classic Irish attitude though, I got caught breaking the law ergo the law is wrong, the gardaí are wrong and everyone else is wrong except me as I should be allowed pick and choose the laws I obey.

Trouble is we also have a few law enforcers who pick and choose what laws to enforce, and when, and where, and in defence of whose rights (eg not ticketing those "decent people" who drive up on footpaths as children are walking to school).

Part of the problem with Irish consternation at law enforcement, IMO, is that the enforcement is a bit hit and miss. Such as, you park for "the last 20 years" in the same place, eg on a footpath near Pearse Stadium, and then out of the blue you're ticketed for illegal parking. WTF is an understandable reaction in such instances, though there's probably no comeback if it's a fair cop.

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Trouble is we also have a few law enforcers who pick and choose what laws to enforce, and when, and where, and in defence of whose rights (eg not ticketing those "decent people" who drive up on footpaths as children are walking to school).

Part of the problem with Irish consternation at law enforcement, IMO, is that the enforcement is a bit hit and miss. Such as, you park for "the last 20 years" in the same place, eg on a footpath near Pearse Stadium, and then out of the blue you're ticketed for illegal parking. WTF is an understandable reaction in such instances, though there's probably no comeback if it's a fair cop.

Are you advocating a zero tolerance approach to law enforcement, with no room for common sense if it's considered appropriate? I'm not just talking just about traffic violations here, I mean right across the board.

Can you define "zero tolerance" and "common sense" with reference to particular law enforcement scenarios?

I am referring to traffic laws here, not serious crime etc.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Can you define "zero tolerance" and "common sense" with reference to particular law enforcement scenarios?

I am referring to traffic laws here, not serious crime etc.
    Well, for instance, there was a famous case back in the clamping days where a parent was rushing their child to a doctors (from memory it was down in the Crescent, but am open to correction on that), and got clamped. Now admittedly this is likely to be a very rare occurrence, but surely there should be some leeway in this sort of situation.

For the record, I fully agree that a number of driving-related issues, including ad hoc parking (often found at school times) and, my personal bug bear, driver behaviour at traffic lights (including pedestrian crossings around eyre square, although pedestrian behaviour can be equally as bad at times) is out of control, and in need to enforcement, but it's not always so black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 danzdan

dan hibiki wrote: »
    i disagree. its about time the cops started paying attention to stuff like this. i only hope that they start monitoring yellow box junctions for dickheads who stop in them.
    Having glanced through some of the comments here. I was just wondering why the yellow gritted areas before junction at westside has yellow box junction on it.Ya can't even see the lines. I cross this junction everyday. And every time there they are( other drivers) oblivious to what's going on. Crazy waste of money for paint ;)

Well, for instance, there was a famous case back in the clamping days where a parent was rushing their child to a doctors (from memory it was down in the Crescent, but am open to correction on that), and got clamped. Now admittedly this is likely to be a very rare occurrence, but surely there should be some leeway in this sort of situation.

For the record, I fully agree that a number of driving-related issues, including ad hoc parking (often found at school times) and, my personal bug bear, driver behaviour at traffic lights (including pedestrian crossings around eyre square, although pedestrian behaviour can be equally as bad at times) is out of control, and in need to enforcement, but it's not always so black and white.

It might be a subject for another thread, but IMO Galway City's clamping regime was a mess. It cost the city €2 million and didn't do much to solve traffic and parking problems. Besides, it was a profit-making enterprise for the clamping company, targeted sitting ducks wherever possible, and was not part of a coherent parking control strategy.

I have to declare an interest: some years ago I was clamped in Mill Street car park and fined €20 for having a Pay & Display that was literally ten minutes expired!

Galway City Council are continuing a similar policy to this day, ie targeting easy pickings in municipal car parks and P&D spaces. Half of their enforcement effort is aimed at motorists who may actually be in a legal space, eg Motor Tax and expired P&D, while happily ignoring blatant abandonmentness that doesn't bother them. They can come down heavy when it suits them, but that's not what I would call zero tolerance or even common sense.

HTH!

Hard shoulder here is now a de facto lane. About twelve cars driving on the hard shoulder this evening without a car in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭flazio

snubbleste wrote: »
    Hard shoulder here is now a de facto lane. About twelve cars driving on the hard shoulder this evening without a car in the world

1. You dug up a 2 year old thread,
    2. How are they driving 12 cars if there are no cars in the world?:confused:

flazio wrote: »
    1. You dug up a 2 year old thread,
    2. How are they driving 12 cars if there are no cars in the world?:confused:
    1. Yes
    2. There is a missing e
    I'd have thought the Council would do something constructive about it at this stage. Sure all they've done is painted some yellow strips on the hard shoulder where it ends and a lane begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Necro lock.
    If it is that important, pls start a fresh thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement