Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halloween Decorations

• 11-09-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Is it too early to start putting up Halloween decorations???
    I'm very excited at the prospect!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

YES.

That is all. Halloween is all about the fireworks and bonfires, not the decorations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Oh please......

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Michael Scofield

No.

And I've never understood why people get so worked up about shops having Christmas decorations in stock early in the year either. I don't put up Halloween decorations at all, and I don't put up my Christmas tree 'til mid December but if others want to put them up in November or even earlier then more power to them, they're not hurting anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Confab wrote: »
    YES.

That is all. Halloween is all about the fireworks and bonfires, not the decorations!

But I want to do a house of horrors thing, ok maybe a room of horrors thing.

There is already Christmas stuff in the shops, surely that means it's ok to do Halloween?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Yeah, I have some dead bodies I'd better hang up before the smell attracts flies.

What's this about Hallow'een?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

It's not too early if youve got a horn for Halloween then go for it.

Only fanatics will decorate their homes this early though.......

If you want to be the house that's pointed at (sole purpose of the decoration is it not) then fire away.

Really well decorated houses look great. Tack looks tacky, your choice.

themadchef wrote: »
    It's not too early if youve got a horn for Halloween then go for it.

Only fanatics will decorate their homes this early though.......

If you want to be the house that's pointed at (sole purpose of the decoration is it not) then fire away.

Really well decorated houses look great. Tack looks tacky, your choice.

Are you implying that my house and decorations would be tacky??? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Should change to the new boards theme.... feels like Halloween already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Halloween is better than Christmas, that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Sure Iv already got my Halloween tree up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Neadine wrote: »
    Are you implying that my house and decorations would be tacky??? :cool:

LOL

Not at all.

Yet that's what you saw ;)

Did you miss the "really well decorated houses look great" part.

I prefer Halloween to Christmas. Witches and spells and candles and cloaks and mystery.

Christmas is bollox.

All im saying though is, if youre going to do it early make sure you do it well or you may be laughed at! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

krudler wrote: »

I dont agree but Heres my reaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm just putting the finishing stitches to my Easter bonnet.

• Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭will.i.am

That is as true as Santa Clause!

Not better, just different.

themadchef wrote: »
    LOL

Not at all.

Yet that's what you saw ;)

Did you miss the "really well decorated houses look great" part.

I prefer Halloween to Christmas. Witches and spells and candles and cloaks and mystery.

Christmas is bollox.

All im saying though is, if youre going to do it early make sure you do it well or you may be laughed at! ;)

Well, the bits I am doing early(ish) are inside, so if someone comes in my house and laughs at it, then they may not be leaving and become a part of the props... just saying!!

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I'm just putting the finishing stitches to my Easter bonnet.

Ah, good for you, I've got lots of extra ribbon in my crafting corner (it really exists) if you need some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

How Americanised Ireland has become :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

There is already Christmas stuff in the shops, surely that means it's ok to do Halloween?!?!

I'd love to decorate my house in a big Halloween house of horrors thing but A, I live with the mammy at the moment and she'd go ape on me if I did, B, no bugger down here does Halloween (no kiddies do trick or treat or anything) so no-one would see it.

Also your house is already a house of horrors with all them spiders!!!! :P
    old_aussie wrote: »

Quite a lot to be fair.

Although I love decorating my house for Christmas, and would do more if I could afford it/put them up outside. The mammy gets a bit peeved with all the decorations and Christmassyness (esp early stuff) so I try not to put my stuff up toooo early. But come December I am chomping at the bit to decorate, play Christmas choons etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Pff nonsense, we had hollow'een first :D
    If we start seeing thanks giving being celebrated here then you may have a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Isn't Halloween an old Gaelic tradition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

It irritates me when people pronounce "Hallowe'en" as "Hollowe'en"

It's my second favourite holiday after Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I'm very excited at the prospect!

Its only September - it's seven weeks to Halloween.
    Do some housework or something to pass the time - surely there are other things you can do until at least October comes round. :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

So so excited by all this, it was only Sunday week last when I thought of it.
    On our estate everyone put in great effort to be the best decorated house and last year some had real sound effects all (except for that non christian lot with the curtains closed all day and night).
    Anyway I was wondering if anyone had come across any Haunting Haloween greeting cards anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Its my husbands favourite holiday of the year. He turns our whole house into a haunted house.

I can usually persuade him not to put the decorations up until the 2nd week of October. Its too early yet and its definitely too early for Christmas stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Shivers26 wrote: »
    Its my husbands favourite holiday of the year. He turns our whole house into a haunted house.

I can usually persuade him not to put the decorations up until the 2nd week of October. Its too early yet and its definitely too early for Christmas stuff!

Your husband = my hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It used to be good in Dublin when we had tons of fireworks and bonfires that rivaled the ones in the north on the 12th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Your husband = my hero.

Yeah yeah :D

You say that now but you don't have to live in the house with all his scary stuff and I'm there on my own and they're all looking at me........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My Husband loves Halloween as well, we both do. Every year he does different elaborately carved pumpkins. The kids trick or treating love to see them. I never understand why people ignore trick or treaters, I get that some people might feel vulnerable opening their doors to strangers.

I hate the weeks of constant fireworks being let off though, it freaks out mine and most peoples pets. Based on the numbers of fireworks being let off you'd never think that they were illegal. It would be nice if there were more professionally organised firework events. If there were it might discourage people from setting them off in their neighbourhoods. It could also raise money for local charities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭gerarda

Its one night a year so why not make a bit of effort and you never know - you might actually enjoy it! A neighbour of ours put a sign on his door last year "No sweets here" (he is well known for being a cranky sh**e) and some kid replaced his sign with "No sweets here" - cos im a tight arsed c*nt".

gerarda wrote: »
    Its one night a year so why not make a bit of effort and you never know - you might actually enjoy it! A neighbour of ours put a sign on his door last year "No sweets here" (he is well known for being a cranky sh**e) and some kid replaced his sign with "No sweets here" - cos im a tight arsed c*nt".

Nice!!!
    Have already started the decorating, just on the inside, think windows and things people would think I had completely lost the plot.
    Move just before Halloween last year, and was working for Halloween, so no idea if there are any Trick or Treaters calling around here.

The only thing I would be wary about is some kids doing a wrecking spree on your display, I witnessed kids doing it one year and it ruined the night for everyone.

gerarda wrote: »
    The only thing I would be wary about is some kids doing a wrecking spree on your display, I witnessed kids doing it one year and it ruined the night for everyone.

Not something I even thought about. But the vast majority of stuff is actually inside. I am having friends over for the long weekend and have already started, even contemplating some bits for my guest room!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It's not even bleedin October yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ehmjay

Going with a ghost estate theme myself this year. Letting the weeds grow, some abandoned building material in the front garden, for sale sign hanging off, I haven't cut the grass in months in preparation for it. If anything should scare the children this should. Now to go post in the recession-busting tips thread about not buying halloween decorations this year.

phasers wrote: »
    It's not even bleedin October yet!

And there is already Christmas stuff in loads of shops.

ehmjay wrote: »
    Going with a ghost estate theme myself this year. Letting the weeds grow, some abandoned building material in the front garden, for sale sign hanging off, I haven't cut the grass in months in preparation for it. If anything should scare the children this should. Now to go post in the recession-busting tips thread about not buying halloween decorations this year.

Wow, genius, I can see it catching on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I need to find something to wear...

We have a few problems with adults making 'too much' of an effort at Halloween too. They dressed up as Freddy Kruger, Jason Vorhees with high quality costumes etc and really scared the crap out of kids. The parents were not impressed at all. Sometimes you just cant win....

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    I need to find something to wear...

Yeah, me too, haven't quite got round to that yet!

ehmjay wrote: »

Put up a few pics when your finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Isn't Halloween an old Gaelic tradition?

Yep, the ancient Irish loved hanging up tacky plastic Jack O Lantern decorations and decorating their hovels with fake cobwebs.

Advertisement