Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Tax Problem (Help its Complicated)

Options
  • 11-09-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Ok guys any answers on this would be HUGELY appreciated as I have been trying (in vain) for weeks to sort it.

So my situation is as follows;

I am an Irish citizen and resident. I recently started working offhshore on ships and the odd rig for a NORWEGIAN company but was hired through their UK office on a UK contract (on which I am currently paying UK tax and National Insurance). At the end of the month my contract will be switching to a SINGAPORE contract.

The main change between the UK and SINGAPORE contract is that the clause regarding taxation which in the UK contract reads;

'The Employer shall deduct from your remuneration all necessary Tax and
    any other deductions as required by law'

is rewritten to read this on the SINGAPORE contract;

The Employer shall, with your agreement deduct from your remuneration all necessary Tax and any other deductions as required by law.

From what I gather the company will address me before withdrawing any tax and they will pay it to the country I choose. This leaves me with 2 options!

1) Continue paying tax in the UK as I will be able to avail of Sea Farers allowance and get it all back.

or

2) Pay tax in IRELAND and try to avail of the Irish sea farers allowance which is only a tax credit of 6000 euro.

So my question is this, obviously I would be better off staying on UK tax and availing of sea farers allowance BUT will the Irish Revenue come looking for tax from me? I know there is a double taxation agreement but if the Irish knew I got all my tax back in the UK would they try to claim some as I am after all a resident in Ireland? And does anyone know the stipulations of the Double Taxation Agreement between Ire and the UK? Can I simply fill out a form and prove to the Irish revenue that I am paying UK tax and hence be exempt?

I am at the end of the line at this rate I have been in contact with Ernst & Young in Dublin as well as Irish revenue and tax advisors in the UK and I am none the wiser HELP PLEASE! :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

You need professional advice on this one.

Seek help (not on an Internet forum unfortunately).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement