Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get passport without Photo ID?

• 11-09-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong place but ye seem like a clever bunch in AH so maybe someone can help me out.

A woman at work is trying to get a passport for her husband (both late 50s) however it got sent back because he did not have a valid Photo ID with it. Thing is, he doesn't have any - never had a passport before, doesn't have a driving licence, hasn't worked in a few years so no work ID.

She has tried ringing the passport office non-stop for 2 weeks but they never pick up.

Anyone help in any way as to how they can go about getting the passport without photo ID?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is the wrong place but ye seem like a clever bunch in AH so maybe someone can help me out.

A woman at work is trying to get a passport for her husband (both late 50s) however it got sent back because he did not have a valid Photo ID with it. Thing is, he doesn't have any - never had a passport before, doesn't have a driving licence, hasn't worked in a few years so no work ID.

She has tried ringing the passport office non-stop for 2 weeks but they never pick up.

Anyone help in any way as to how they can go about getting the passport without photo ID?

These friends of yours, by any chance do they work for Mossad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

You do not need a photo ID....just 4 x passport sized photos, 2 of which need to be signed by a member of AGS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Long hand birth cert as proof of id.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Did they send it in without any pictures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Were the photos signed by an appropriate person?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Shouldn't need any photo ID. That's the whole reason behind getting it signed by a Garda in person.

EDIT: Actually now that i think of it, that was changed. They should have sent him out another form to get signed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

benwavner wrote: »
    You do not need a photo ID....just 4 x passport sized photos, 2 of which need to be signed by a member of AGS.

She sent them in and it got sent back, this is on the Dept. Foreign Affairs website:

If this is your first passport application or if your previous passport was lost or stolen, enclose a copy of current photo ID e.g. driver's licence or US passport.
    Swampy wrote: »
    Long hand birth cert as proof of id.

They want Photo ID though that is the problem, he's sent in all the signed photos, birth cert etc., but they sent it back saying he needs to have Photo ID as its his first application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

He needs to ring them and explain the situation.

Or else get a fake ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

You used to be able to get the local TD to sort out this out (only real use for most of them). Best thing to do is go up to the passport office in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Load of codswallop..

My kids got their first passports at 6 months old. No photo id required.

• Advertisement

DonalN wrote: »
    Did they send it in without any pictures?

It has pictures but they want Photo ID - like a student card, driver's licence etc.,
    Were the photos signed by an appropriate person?

By a Gardai. Its not those pictures that are a problem though, they want some current photo ID and he has none.
    MagicSean wrote: »
    Shouldn't need any photo ID. That's the whole reason behind getting it signed by a Garda in person.

I know yeah, and she's worried about it cos they want to go on holiday. If she could get through to the Passport Office it would help.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    He needs to ring them and explain the situation.

Or else get a fake ID.
    Gee Bag wrote: »
    You used to be able to get the local TD to sort out this out (only real use for most of them). Best thing to do is go up to the passport office in person.

Tried to ring but no one picking up for 3 weeks.

Yeah, I suppose they'll need to go to Cork and sort it out in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Kraftwerk91

Couldn't he apply to get an age card? I have one of them, I think it's the equivalent to a state ID card like they have in the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Were the photographs signed and stamped by a Guard? That and the Long form of birth cert should be enough.

Couldn't he apply to get an age card? I have one of them, I think it's the equivalent to a state ID card like they have in the States.

That might be an option - I will suggest it to her tomorrow. Is that the one you download from the Gardaí website?

@MagicSean - she never mentioned another form being sent back but I'll ask her tomorrow, she might have overlooked it.

I know yeah, and she's worried about it cos they want to go on holiday. If she could get through to the Passport Office it would help.

You missed my edit. They should have sent out a certificate identity for him to get witnessed.

MagicSean wrote: »
    You missed my edit. They should have sent out a certificate identity for him to get witnessed.

Just saw it after I replied - thanks for that :D

Just saw it after I replied - thanks for that :D

Alternatively if he knows a Garda or is known to one he can ask for an ML10 form and that might suffice.

They want Photo ID though that is the problem, he's sent in all the signed photos, birth cert etc., but they sent it back saying he needs to have Photo ID as its his first application.

They probably mean he should ideally send in photo ID. There are ways around these things.

I think it might be possible to get an ID from the Gardaí (not a Garda National Age Card, but an emergency type ID). Failing that he could just apply as a child would, if he can get a hold of his parent's certs, or whatever it is that's needed for that.

Edit: I just gave it a quick google, and got this:
    Note: If you are unable to provide any general photographic ID, you will have to complete a certificate of identity and have it witnessed. The certificate of identity will be sent to you upon receipt of your passport application. The certificate will include preprinted details, including your application photograph. It must be witnessed by someone from a list of people acceptable to the Passport Service for this purpose, and who also personally knows you.
    From here:http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/applying_for_or_renewing_an_irish_passport.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Kraftwerk91

That might be an option - I will suggest it to her tomorrow. Is that the one you download from the Gardaí website?
    Yes, I think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

As magicsean says. Get an ml10 from the Garda station. Usually used for banking but may suffice.

Excellent - thanks guys for all of your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

You are given a form in the passport office which has to be signed by either a doctor, a member of the gardai, a school principal, they have to know him personally though.

Thats along with the passport photos signed already, and the long form birth cert!!

I had to do it in August! Pain in the hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

mauzo wrote: »
    Pain in the hole

And not the good type. :pac::D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Quite impressive he got through 50 years without needing any photo ID, a one man war against tesco cashiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Got my first passport in 05 when I got my first proper job and needed ID to open a bank account for my wages.I had no Photo ID at all,just my birth cert,a bill with my address on it and passport photos stamped and signed by a a Garda at the front desk in Store Street Garda station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

This post has been deleted.

Aliens? :eek:

Jesus.

Bloody ET taking our passports and bank accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

She sent them in and it got sent back, this is on the Dept. Foreign Affairs website:

If this is your first passport application or if your previous passport was lost or stolen, enclose a copy of current photo ID e.g. driver's licence or US passport.

Why are you quoting the website of the Irish Consulate in the US? Is the person you're enquiring about in the US?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Wait ti he tries to get his photos right!!mine were rejected twice because I have -apparently- a square and an irregular shaped head!!!! :0
    ..WTF !!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement