Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poaching Grad Canal

• 11-09-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everyone.

Just wanna make this thread in order to get some info and maybe help other people to avoid getting upset as I did.

Las Sunday I went with my 2 lads on Grand Canal(arround Strafan) to do a bit of fishing and spend some time on fresh air instead of letting them stay with computer games all day. After a few hours of getting no bites trying different baits, ground baits we went for a bit of a walk along the canal. Aa we were walking along I spoted a group of 4 on the other bank looking a bit strange. As I approached the spot where they were I noticed that there was a net across the canal because I had kids with me I didnt want to get involved in an argument with thouse people we walked a bit further and I called 11811 to get the phone number for Waterways Ireland as I tought they are responsible for the canals the number they gave was not in service. I called the local gardai and they told me that it has nothing to do with them and told me to call 11811. I tried getting online to find some useful phone number to repot but could not find one.

That left me frustrated and upset. It is a pity that things like that can go on without general public being able to do anything. And a further read doesn't provide much inspiration either: http://poaching.wordpress.com/2009/09/23/illegal-fishing-on-the-grand-canal/

If anyone has any info on how and where to report these kind of incidents please let me and others know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

this is the number for the IFI, the number is for reporting poaching 1890 347242.
    as far as i know, the guards can intervene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Quote: Macspower

Inland Fisheries Ireland have a freefone number to enable members of the general public to report poaching and pollution incidences -1890 34 74 24 or for easier recall 1890 FISH 24.

EVERY ANGLER should have this number in their phone.. report report report.... even if you don't get a response ... report it anyway... In recent figures the IFI claimed a great reduction in poaching... these figures were based on a reduction in calls to the hotline.. a reduction in poaching means less funding to tackle it... lets not give them the excuses..

phone the hotline if you see something out of place.

Other useful/useless numbers! The Eastern Regional Fisheries Board - 01 2787022 The Southern Regional Fisheries Board - 052 23624 (daytime) - 052 80055 (out of hours) The South Western Regional Fisheries Board -026 41221 The Shannon Regional Fisheries Board - 061 300238 The Shannon Regional Fisheries Board - 087 9285892 (Lorraine O'Donnell)

The Western Regional Fisheries Board - 091 563118 The North Western Regional Fisheries Board -096 22623 The Northern Regional Fisheries Board - 071 9851 435 (Co. Donegal) - 049 4337174 (Co. Cavan)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Vasiok

this is the number for the IFI, the number is for reporting poaching 1890 347242.
    as far as i know, the guards can intervene.

Thanks Frank and fisherking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭oldat31

Also get photos, allot of the time the IFI wont do anything but atleast you can shame the fukers in the photos when you get home.

BTW, What part of the canal?

oldat31 wrote: »
    Also get photos, allot of the time the IFI wont do anything but atleast you can shame the fukers in the photos when you get home.

BTW, What part of the canal?

HI.

I am not good at explaining directions but this is the exact spot where they were https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.281896,-6.596483&spn=0.001246,0.004128&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.281838,-6.596612&panoid=l9CLvEWpFtlS-rotF7BkdA&cbp=12,261.82,,0,13.65

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Also get photos, allot of the time the IFI wont do anything but atleast you can shame the fukers in the photos when you get home

This is bull****. IFI have a duty to respond to such activities and do respond. Many many on the spot fines have been issued along the Grand and Royal canals.
    In this case OP ring IFI Blackrock (01 2787164) and report the incident even late, patrols of the area can be targeted to try and get them. Get the mobile numbers of the staff that work in that area of the Canal or at least use the 1890 fish 24 number.

Bizzum wrote: »
    This is bull****. IFI have a duty to respond to such activities and do respond. Many many on the spot fines have been issued along the Grand and Royal canals.
    In this case OP ring IFI Blackrock (01 2787164) and report the incident even late, patrols of the area can be targeted to try and get them. Get the mobile numbers of the staff that work in that area of the Canal or at least use the 1890 fish 24 number.

Really, how about rosslear beach being poached every day by the same group and leaving bass heads and guts all over the beach. Not only that but it has been reported 100's of times and I kniow for fact that the IFI has recived photograph's..... I have been fishing for 20 years and never once have I met an IFI officer....... So how do you reckon they do anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Really, how about rosslear beach being poached every day by the same group and leaving bass heads and guts all over the beach. Not only that but it has been reported 100's of times and I kniow for fact that the IFI has recived photograph's..... I have been fishing for 20 years and never once have I met an IFI officer....... So how do you reckon they do anything?

I have the number of our local IFI officer on my phone. Ive had to call him once, he was there in an hour, and issued 2 on the spot fines and confiscated all the tackle from the poachers. Always report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Local IFI staff are very good and will generally reply quickly.
    The canals are the responsibility of Waterways Ireland who have their own staff. That said IFI staff will respond. Below is a link to the inspectors in the various areas. Their mobile phone numbers are given. Save them now !!!
    I would add that these are the inspectors who oversee what goes on in their area and they would have contact details for the protection staff on the ground.
    http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Angling-Information/ifi-staff-with-a-development-role.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I know nothing about this area.
    If you like to PM me your phone number I could pass it onto the Inspector that covers Rosslear, wherever it is.

In the area that I'm familiar with IFI staff are often seen out and about. Like some other services they could do with more staff (There are only about 150 field staff nationwide as far as I know) and like every other profession there are good and bad.

I would advise anyone with an issue to make the call and report it.

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    I know nothing about this area.
    If you like to PM me your phone number I could pass it onto the Inspector that covers Rosslear, wherever it is.

In the area that I'm familiar with IFI staff are often seen out and about. Like some other services they could do with more staff (There are only about 150 field staff nationwide as far as I know) and like every other profession there are good and bad.

I would advise anyone with an issue to make the call and report it.

I agree 100% and never said not to call the IFI, maybe I could have worded it different but allot of the time there is nothing done.......

The issue I have spoken about above has been reported ALLOt and with photos so thanks for the offer but its just a waiting game now to see what happens....

Anyway, poachers are scum so treat them that way, ring the police and tell them so its on record as well as ringing the ifi.... Another good thing is getting the reg of the car the scumbags are driving ( without being caught ) and send that to the IFI because they can then investagate the owner!.

jkchambers wrote: »
    Local IFI staff are very good and will generally reply quickly.
    The canals are the responsibility of Waterways Ireland who have their own staff. That said IFI staff will respond. Below is a link to the inspectors in the various areas. Their mobile phone numbers are given. Save them now !!!
    I would add that these are the inspectors who oversee what goes on in their area and they would have contact details for the protection staff on the ground.
    http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Angling-Information/ifi-staff-with-a-development-role.html

Thanks a lot for these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

As someone else said, call the 24 hour hotline as soon as you see something happening. 1890 347424

Re the gardai, they certainly can do something - gardai also have the powers of fishery officers, most of them just don't know anything about fisheries law. If a garda refuses to deal with a report, inform them of this and ask for their name and station, they might change their tune then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭keyser2012

I cant really say anything that has been said before really but just want to say that these poachers are scum. I dont think the guards can do anything either. Ive noticed a few signs go up on ballylaughen bridge on the east mayo stretch of the moy saying that cctv went up. Im thinking this is for poachers but i dont think they are foolish to believe these signs. I think its a ployb to scare them because i didnt see any cameras TBH.

keyser2012 wrote: »
    I cant really say anything that has been said before really but just want to say that these poachers are scum. I dont think the guards can do anything either. Ive noticed a few signs go up on ballylaughen bridge on the east mayo stretch of the moy saying that cctv went up. Im thinking this is for poachers but i dont think they are foolish to believe these signs. I think its a ployb to scare them because i didnt see any cameras TBH.

You aren't meant to see the cameras. Covert cameras are not supposed to be obvious.

Zzippy wrote: »
    You aren't meant to see the cameras. Covert cameras are not supposed to be obvious.

lol, sure i know that but ive a feeling they arent there. If that was the case, they should have just put all false cameras up all over the place because that would be a deterent IMO. theres no chance they can have cameras all over that east mayo stretch and cover all the angles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

They are there

Sometimes......

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hidden-cameras-rolled-out-to-snare-poachers-2982874.html

keyser2012 wrote: »
    Zzippy wrote: »

lol, sure i know that but ive a feeling they arent there. If that was the case, they should have just put all false cameras up all over the place because that would be a deterent IMO. theres no chance they can have cameras all over that east mayo stretch and cover all the angles

If theres anyone from mayo who could post up an article from a local newpaper about a few fishery officers getting attacked with hammers from poachers while installing cctv. A friend of mine is only of the phone and said that he seen it earlier but didnt buy the paper. Would be interesting reading i think

No that aint it zippy. This incident happened in ballina and also cloongee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement