Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilemma-Do Honours Degree and put off Aus for 2 years or just go to aus within a year

Options
  • 12-09-2012 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I have the opourtunity at work to complete my science degree through distance learning with GMIT however this will mean I would have to put off going to aus by another year, my current plan is to go within a year but if I do this it would be probably 2 years before I could go, the thing is im 34 now and time is ticking, I feel if I put it off I'll never go and I can always continue education once I get settled in aus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'm 41 and moved to aus last year, never say never.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Education first, then Australia that's my opinion.

'I can always continue education once I'm settled in Australia' or you can always go to Australia once you've done your degree! Which will most likely be a much easier path for you.

I've found people I know put off education for all sorts of reasons. None of them have finished 3rd level because of this.

What are you going to Australia for? You're over the age limit for WHV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

irishmover wrote: »

'I can always continue education once I'm settled in Australia' or you can always go to Australia once you've done your degree! Which will most likely be a much easier path for you.

I've found people I know put off education for all sorts of reasons. None of them have finished 3rd level because of this.

I should maybe elaborate on my situation , I have a level 7 Diploma equivalent to an Ordinary Degree in analytical chemistry with quality managment, I have alot of lab experience so I would get a job out there without the honours degree add on , also I wouldnt be going on a whv, I would be going on a permanent migration visa, I know there wasnt alot contained in this post, but I hate it when people make assumptions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

irishmover wrote: »

I should maybe elaborate on my situation , I have a level 7 Diploma equivalent to an Ordinary Degree in analytical chemistry with quality managment, I have alot of lab experience so I would get a job out there without the honours degree add on , also I wouldnt be going on a whv, I would be going on a permanent migration visa, I know there wasnt alot contained in this post, but I hate it when people make assumptions

Looks like you've already made your mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I know there wasnt alot contained in this post, but I hate it when people make assumptions

You can't really complain about people making assumptions when theres feck all information to go on, especially given the amount of regular posts from people who 'decide' they're heading to Australia to work only to be told they've very little hope of securing a visa.

If you already have your visa sorted, and you're heading to Australia either way, then I'd just go straight away - not sure what you're waiting for if the lack of an honours degree won't restrict your employment opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

If you meet the entry requirements for the permanent migration visa now and you really want to come I would say come now. If not stay and get your degree and see if with that you will meet the entry requirements. The degree may just be a piece of paper and not as important as the work experience but it is always better then not having one and it makes it easier to get the visa and / or sponsored.
    I have alot of lab experience so I would get a job out there without the honours degree add on

You sure you will get a job here as easy as you think? I don't know your field / job market or what research you have done on it at all but I would recommend you look up job websites such as seek to check that there are many jobs going in it because things aren't as great here job wise as some people will lead you to believe.

If I was in your situation (from what I know of it) I would stay and get my degree.

What about the option of continuing my education in australia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I have recently arrived in WA and have found a lot of Australians do not have third level qualifications for the jobs they are doing, a lot of them are studying part time to get their qualifications on the job. In my opinion you would probable be far better off with your honours degree as it would put you head and shoulder above a lot of australian applicants for the same job. In my job the department manager is a 26 year old Irish lad who got the job because he had the honours degrees and others didn't!!

If I start my degree at the end of the month I would be finished by may 2014, I could be waiting at least a year for my visa anyway.However the degree costs 5k and my employers would be paying for it, if I leave within a year of finishing the course I will have to pay back 60% of the course fee.

Oh I just don't know, Ive gone over and back on this in my head all weekend, I need to make a decision on this by tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chrispym

Probably wont help you but I left to come to Australia 4 months ago and put off finishing my last year of college to do so, i've noticed that if you have a degree that you will get a far better job out here than without one. My plan is to finish off my regional work and go travelling for the rest of the year and enjoy myself, go back finish my last year in college get the degree and maybe come out here on my 2nd year visa and make alot more dollar. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I dont think a degree on its own counts for much out here does it?
    I assume ye mean with experience to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chrispym

Obviously a degree with experience to back it up will likely get you further, however I know lads that got really good jobs just out of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bogwarryor

Diplomas only take 1 year to get in Oz as opposed to 3 so they may not be as employable, you should clarify your employment prospects before coming. That said you might not want to wait as more industries are going into recession here (engineering etc) so there may be less opportunity in 2 years. You could always continue your studies here while you work, that's the situation I'm in, it may cost more but you earn more & there's no point putting your life on hold!

I am looking into a postgrad in extractive metalurgy through open university in aus, my employment prospects should be alot better with that qualification for there

Advertisement