Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Something massive just hit Jupiter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19299984@N08/7976507568/

the explosion was the size of earth, so if it had hit here, it would have destroyed the planet... comparison

http://i.imgur.com/oUHBr.jpg
    That was last night. It was probably a comet.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056751689

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

Sorry about that, I was just changing my boxers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Wow.
    Its interesting to think that an object of roughly the same size of Earth hit Jupiter.

Makes this planet feel quite small dont it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Sorry about that, I was just changing my boxers.

My load hit Pluto.

Thats why its not a planet anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Wow.
    Its interesting to think that an object of roughly the same size of Earth hit Jupiter.

He said it caused an explosion the size of the earth....very different thing altogether...a tennis ball of c4 doesnt cause a tennis ball sized explosion......

• Advertisement

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    He said it caused an explosion the size of the earth....very different thing altogether...a tennis ball of c4 doesnt cause a tennis ball sized explosion......

Oh I see. Misread it.

But still. We be small :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

No but it would a wild racket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

El Weirdo wrote: »
    That was last night. It was probably a comet.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056751689

If it was a comet/asteroid, astronomical agencies would have publicized it before it struck, remember Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9, but they didn't this time, it seems.

If it was a comet/asteroid, astronomical agencies would have publicized it before it struck, remember Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9, but they didn't this time, it seems.
    Possibly. I'm no scientitian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

imagine it hit us. who would the americans blame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

So what does that leave? God or aliens?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

feckin female drivers.

imagine it hit us. who would the americans blame?

Iran.

They've killed Bin Laden (allegedly) and Saddams WMD's havent quite surfaced yet. Who's left?

Apparently Uranus is going to be struck by a massive asteroid tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I always get worked up, excited and in independence day mode when I read or see something like this but I'm always let down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

wowwa weewa

Massive haemorrhoid

Rigol wrote: »
    wowwa weewa

Hmmmmm quite

humbert wrote: »
    So what does that leave? God or aliens?

Jesus of course, it's a sign of the second coming, 2012 and all that jazz.

Okay, who had post #15?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I might be drunk but you know, I've always thought, the way our galaxy is set up, it's almost perfect for Earth. Major asteroids got swept away or hit the bigger worlds. We have the moon like some massive shield. Maybe that's just how it all panned out by pure chance, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Wow.

It wasn't the same size of Earth, the energy release or plume of the explosion was.

Jupiter just doing its job as the solar systems sentinel sucking up space objects with its massive gravity and stopping some of them coming our way.

Thank you Jupiter.

Colmustard wrote: »
    It wasn't the same size of Earth, the energy release or plume of the explosion was.

Jupiter just doing its job as the solar systems sentinel sucking up space objects with its massive gravity and stopping some of them coming our way.

Thank you Jupiter.

or

Man, you get alot of people willing to correct you, over others, in after hours :pac:

Wow.

or

Man, you get alot of people willing to correct you, over others, in after hours :pac:

Like your wrong correction.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Man, you get alot of people willing to correct you, over others, in after hours :pac:[/QUOTE]

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ie/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

They just didn't see it. Anyway, Jupiter regularly gets hit like it did last night. Its gravity pulls in debris that strays from the asteroid belt which is relatively close to Jupiter. Its scary the amount of crap flying around out there unseen. This asteroid, 2012 QC8, was not spotted until 20th July last. Its a 1.2km diameter rock that will pass within 23 lunar distances of earth. If it had been heading straight for Earth it could have potentially killed hundreds of thousands. Even Bruce Willis would not have had time to save us. :D
    There are 1,000's of these out there, and some are not noticed until days or even hours before they whizz past. There's almost certainly at least one out there with our name on it. Its only a matter of time.

Isn't comets that are the worry, comets come from deep space, so if it happens, it will be, what that, oh sh1t, that is if you bother worry the chances are still minuscule that a big one will hit.

We have more immediate concerns that would be worse then most impacts this world has seen in 500 million years. A runaway greenhouse extinction event as what happened at the end of the triassic epoch is the worse thing to happen to life on earth and some say we are at the beginning of that.

So in a way we had an impact, but the effects are in slow motion and at this stage probably irreversible, but who knows for certain.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Colmustard wrote: »
    Wow.

Thank you Jupiter.

Why, you're very welcome!

Yes, I regularly get the odd knock from an asteroid or comet but that's been happening to me since I was forned out of swirling solar nebula 4.6 billion years ago.

My giant, gaseous globe can take a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I was most likely Aliens who have been monitoring us sending some sort of missiles to destroy us that went off course. The end is nigh. All though, can you blame them. Monitoring us would be like a never ending series of Big Brother. Fooking hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Chuck Norris farted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19299984@N08/7976507568/

the explosion was the size of earth, so if it had hit here, it would have destroyed the planet... comparison

http://i.imgur.com/oUHBr.jpg

Lucky it missed us by 500 million miles then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Jupiter is just a big vacuum cleaner. One day someone will forget to change the bag though. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Where To wrote: »
    Jupiter is just a big vacuum cleaner. One day someone will forget to change the bag though. . .

Nonsense, hoover bags are so 3 billion years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Fart wrote: »
    Where To wrote: »

Nonsense, hoover bags are so 3 billion years ago.

Dysun, with it's spinning ball technology, we're saved! :D

Advertisement