Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Canberra

Options
  • 12-09-2012 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I will be moving to Canberra in January and was hoping for any information anybody can offer. The area I will be working is Philip so if anybody can help with a nice and reasonably priced area to live in the suburb or surrounding suburbs that are within walking distance. All information that I might need to know about ACT is appreciated.

Cheers
    JDPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Amy2010

JDPG1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I will be moving to Canberra in January and was hoping for any information anybody can offer. The area I will be working is Philip so if anybody can help with a nice and reasonably priced area to live in the suburb or surrounding suburbs that are within walking distance. All information that I might need to know about ACT is appreciated.

Cheers
    JDPG

Why Canberra? I've been there and it is fairly new city and even roads aren't that old. The main thoroughfare are very wide. It is more like town than a capital city. Sydney and Melbourne are more like cities with all the hustle and bustle, close to the sea and countryside.

Canberra can be chilly even in summer time. On hilly parts of the suburbs where I stayed with frosts on mornings and Sydney are very hot on a same day. You can easily get around on a bicycle. The advantage of suburbs in Canberra with bigger garden and house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JDPG1

Thanks for reply Amy,
    I have been offered a job based in Canberra. It's nice to hear from someone that has been there as all the canberra websites are biased towards the city which is expected and any fourms I have read are very mixed in opinion. I contacted my employers but they were also biased towards the city.
    I'm not worried about the cold but would like to know that I'm moving to a nice place. Anything else you can tell me about Canberra or more specifically Philip, which is the suburb my work will be based and where I plan to live, is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Amy2010

JDPG1 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply Amy,
    I have been offered a job based in Canberra. It's nice to hear from someone that has been there as all the canberra websites are biased towards the city which is expected and any fourms I have read are very mixed in opinion. I contacted my employers but they were also biased towards the city.
    I'm not worried about the cold but would like to know that I'm moving to a nice place. Anything else you can tell me about Canberra or more specifically Philip, which is the suburb my work will be based and where I plan to live, is greatly appreciated.

I've worked near Brindabella Station (55km) away from Phillip. It is about 5km to Canberra. I know the area near the Royal Golf Club where my former employer is from. It is quiet area. If you take a look at google map and you'll see that green grass is dry and it can be very hot during summer. Cold in winter. The public transport are decent. If you use a 'yellow' man near Canberra Hospital and you can see a bus stop and bus shelter on Yamba Drive. You've a better idea of a public transport.

What I would do the first thing after arriving Australia is to buy a decent bicycle or (scooter is better) and cycle around to get to know the area well. You must wear a helmet and it is a law. Police will order you off a bike if you don't have one or wear one even on a hot day.

It quite different to Melbourne and or Dublin. You'll get used to it after a while. Look at Royal Golf Club website (if any) and Canberra Hospital for better idea as it is near Phillip.

You'll get a train discount if you book early? Airport is fairly close 15km or 20 mins drive.

Good luck with your adventure and a job.

I did a little dig around for accommodation and for better idea on prices:
    http://www.allhomes.com.au/ah/act/rent-residential/phillip/121467610

I would suggest stay in a hostel for a week and look for a decent accommodation. I found mine a day after arriving. It depend on your budget and taste. Most backpacker hostels have notice boards for (longer stay) decent priced accommodation. I'd suggest share the accommodation for the first few months and this way you'll get lots of local info ;-)

Thank you Amy for the advice and information I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

Philip is on the southsie, right beside Woden which is the main hub on the southside, theres a big shopping centre (westfield) in woden, with all the main shops you need etc.

then theres the bus-station which links to all the other major suburbs..city centre, belconnen, gungahlin

Philip is home to a lot of car dealers too...

Theres a good few residential suburbs nearby, red hill, o malley, lyons, farrer etc.

Anywhere there is a good place to start looking... expcet to pay around 450 + a week for a 3 / 4 bed house

The Irish club is close to phillip too, its only a short drive away in Weston Creek

Dont believe everything you read, Canberra is a good spot, small bit on the quite side but still a lot going on. Can get cold in the winter, expect a few minus 3 and 4 mornings but the days still warm up to 16 and 17 degrees.

Summer is the other extreme then, high 30's during the peak times

Canberra is like a big town as was said previous, which is more what were used to in Ireland, not big cities full of millions of people living on top of each other...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Padskip

You could easily live in Kingston/Manuka if you wanted, you're 10-15mins drive from Philip here and would be the places to go out in (as well as civic). I'd personally rather live close to the bars/restaurants and pay a higher rent than living out a bit and paying for an expensive taxi home at the end of a night out. Depends what kind of lifestyle you wish to have. I've been here 7 months now so had a similar experience. Feel free to pm if you want to know anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gobby09

We have been living in Canberra since January and we really like it. I'm a primary school teacher and love teaching here. We live in Kingston as its close to everything and has nice bars/restaurants. You wont necessarily need to live close to your job as everywhere is close (nothing's further than 20 mins) and there's rarely ever any traffic! You will need to pay at least 450 a week to get anything decent! Theres lots to do if your sporty (i'm not really- but trying!) Going out is limited to a few spots in the city but they're not too bad. We/ve been on a few weekends away to the coast which is nice n only 3 hours drive and we go to sydney regularly its only 3 hr drive too. In winter theres skiing a few hrs inland which is supposed to be good! So we havnt got bored yet and its got more of a big town feel than a big city. Feel free to pm me if you need any info I know what its like planning to move- and dont believe all the negativity- it must come from people who've never been here!

Thanks for all the replies it's good to hear from people living there or who have been there. I'm not really too worried about the nightlife enjoy going out once every 2-3 weekends. I will prob buy a bike when I arrive to get around.

Again thanks for all the positive feedback.

Advertisement