Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my landlord already in breach of contract?

Options
  • 12-09-2012 1:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

I have signed, paid and moved into a property. Upon inspection everything seemed acceptable. The lease that I signed was for one year and there was a stipulation that were I to break this agreement I could be liable for the remainder of the rental....up to one year. I challenged this stipulation stating that I could not predict the future (job loss, relocation, etc.) I was then assured that "understandable" grounds for moving out would result in forfeiture of security deposit. I verbally agreed that this was acceptable.

It has now surmised that the heating hasn't worked in this flat since I moved in. It would appear that I am not the one in breach of contract at all.

I need some protection I think and certainly clarification as to whether I decide to leave (with acceptable notice) that I can't be sued for the remainder of a year's unsatisfactory contract nor should I lose money that is purely an insurance against damage.

Any advice is most welcome.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 180 ✭✭markas

Any advice is most welcome.

Not a big advice, but till someone more knowledgable wakes up - see PRTB guidlines. My guess is that you need to inform the LL about the problem, wait a period of time for his action etc. The problem may be trivial, maybe it is not worth the hassle of finding another place and moving out. Unless you really want to, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need to raise it with the landlord, It might be as simple as a closed valve of an extra button that needs pressing.

If it continues to be a problem, then escalate it.

Advertisement