Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thirty new jobs for Tralee by PC world and Currys

Options
  • 12-09-2012 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Retail giants Currys and PC World are to create 30 new jobs with the opening of new shops in Manor West Retail Park in Tralee, Co Kerry.

The two electrical companies will bring the occupancy rate at the retail park to 100 per cent for the first time.

“At a time when unemployment is at an all time high it is great to see new jobs being created in the Tralee area and a large multinational showing great confidence in the region,” centre manager Derek Rusk said.

Currys and PC World will be taking up residence in a 10,000 sq ft unit in the retail park.

PC World Ireland is part of DSG Retail Ireland which, together with Currys, operates 28 stores across the country and is Ireland’s largest electrical retailer by turnover.

anyone knows when will be opening??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

They were recruiting management from about two months ago and had an open day at the end of last month so it will prob be next month. They are very helpful on their forum in the talk to section might be worth dropping the a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

While the new jobs are great, i dont know who is buying all the electrical goods in all the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

While the new jobs are great, i dont know who is buying all the electrical goods in all the shops.

If they get it open before the 24th Oct they'll do ok selling Saorview boxes.;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

their signeage is up already - when they due to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think I read mid/late October somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Just what we needed next to Harvey Norman... another electrical store!

Didn't one close down next Argos.. maybe those people could be taken on. /sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

Kielys closed years ago.

si_guru wrote: »
    Didn't one close down next Argos.. maybe those people could be taken on. /sarcasm.

I laugh when these big retailers announce "30 new jobs". What about the 30 jobs that will be lost in other Kerry electrical retailers as they struggle to compete with Currys?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Signs are now up, the store is set to open this Friday (26/10).

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Cam2012

No harm in checking it out I guess. I know many mates here mentioned about other electrical stores and risk of getting them closed but then this is what its called consumer's market. You shop and you get the best value of your hard earned money.

Some one told M&S was very interested in opening their department in Manor West sometime back but did not get the permission or something. Is that true? It would have been nice to have them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Currys/PC world to open tomorrow saw notice. Great that they supporting new jobs in tralee, should be a good boost to the town!

I don't know there was some reason why M&S didn't come to manor I think it was a council thing and that the town objected M&S going out to manor as they thought it might affect the shops in the town. So was ruled out on those grounds I don't know does it really make a difference even if it did move to manor? Might be what the town needs. Sure it ended up in Killarney and so did new look. Pity they wouldn't bring new look to tralee!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

M&S wanted to go where Homestore + More are now, but the wanted to extend the unit.
    The town council in their wisdom said no and that they should go into the development at Austin Stacks park which never got built in the end. Tralee's loss is Killarney's gain.

Idiot councillors!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

has anyone been in yet for a look or even bought anything?
    I haven't been in, but will pop in at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    has anyone been in yet for a look or even bought anything?
    I haven't been in, but will pop in at some point.

I've been in...it's pretty bland and generic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What I found amusing was that they had a "Grand Stock Clearance Sale" on when I visited during the first weekend that they were open.

What they were selling was nothing to write home about.

I need to get a new microwave, so might have a check in there at the weekend and see if they have any good prices on it. I will check other places too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I haven't been home since it opened to see it but the main appeal for me I would think is that you can hop between Currys, Harvey Normans and Sound Store easily within minutes and compare prices before you purchase rather than having to drive all over the place to different outlets across the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

I find the staff at Currys to be pleasant and not pushy like some (not all) of the HN staff. Somehow I dont think SS is long for this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I find the staff at Currys to be pleasant and not pushy like some (not all) of the HN staff. Somehow I dont think SS is long for this world.

They recently got themselves a proper website, probably to try and get some online business.

http://www.soundstore.ie/aspx/Homepage.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I went into currys/pc world and I was back out I'd say within 5 mins, that tell you all you need to know . I quite like Harvey Norman . So what if some of them are a bit pushy, push them back . I really don't know how sound store are still going .

• Advertisement

I have shopped in SS in Cork and the staff are usually very good, some of them really know their stuff. Have not bought anything in Mile Height yet though. HN can be a bit hit or miss, same with Currys. For me I will always try to support a truly local company first (even if they are from Cork!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I'm on the hunt for a new desktop at the moment so I had a look last Thursday in SS, very nice stuff but nothing I was interested in. Currys was very disappointing, all low to mid range stuff. Same as you monkey, I was in and out in 5 mins

Advertisement