Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They Are Gearing up for War?

• 12-09-2012 6:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Spent the weekend in Cambridge and the area is packed with US/NATO bases. My friends there were telling me that in the last few weeks the intensity of training flights and other military aviation flights has gone up to the same as it was before the invasion of Iraq. Lots of movement of US personal on the roads around the place. Real sense of urgency and tension has kicked in during the last month. Locals are convinced they are really going to have a go at Iran soon. Scary stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Way to go. So much for keeping secrets.

You IP details have been requested and have been released to the appropriate authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Thought this was going to be about Donaghmede :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Olympics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Olympics.

Really now... Heavy bomber practice non-stop and F-16s in the air 24/7.

Jeez, them shotputters must be a danger to global security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

If they had the Internet back in '44, D-Day was so busted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Really now... Heavy bomber practice non-stop and F-16s in the air 24/7.

Jeez, them shotputters must be a danger to global security.

It's the javelins you have to watch out for... remember poor Dieter Schmidt.

Bonus points for anyone who gets the double meaning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Could it also not be squards getting ready for their tours? Units that have arrived in the UK on TDY while waiting to head over to afganistan? Had this a lot in germany 20 years ago when I lived there and the same avianio in northern italy. Troops would come in spend up to 3 months them PCS off to the middle east

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Run_to_da_hills must have got his dates wrong

godtabh wrote: »
    Run_to_da_hills must have got his dates wrong

When did he say it was happening?

I have to admit, i love his posts..... just the right mix of insanity and comic genius in them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

A new verse they are adding to the star spangled banner.
    [Chorus]
    Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho
    It's home from war we go
    [Whistle]

I don't believe they are going to war with Iran, it would be to daunting a prospect, it would make Afghanistan and Iraq look like a skirmish, it could even trigger a world war. But I was listening to Netanyahu call Obama chicken at a recent press conference, not good for the process of peace.

• Advertisement

Maybe they're training to blow the Western Rail Corridor to smithereens, & assassinating the West on Track ringleaders?

Soc>Military>Walter Mitty forum this way.

I call BS, unless you want to ask the *actual* military folk on Soc > Military

-__-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They probably chose east Anglia due to its proximity and similarity to the middle east.

Somewhere hot and dusty like Arizona or Nevada would be no good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

god forbid they might actually be getting ready for Syria.

It'd be nice if the US used their power for good and not just for oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Personally, with five years of austerity now, billions squandered, a property tax about to be introduced, minimum wages under fire and the continual wastage of our natural resources..

I'd be more worried about war on our own streets tbh. Things can't go on the way they are.

Brace yourselves......

Ghandee wrote: »
    Personally, with five years of austerity now, billions squandered, a property tax about to be introduced, minimum wages under fire and the continual wastage of our natural resources..

I'd be more worried about war on our own streets tbh. Things can't go on the way they are.

Brace yourselves......

So the merry-cans are gonna invade us??

We should make a movie out of this.... call it the mouse that roared or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

gatecrash wrote: »
    So the merry-cans are gonna invade us??

We should make a movie out of this.... call it the mouse that roared or something...

No, not at all.

I'd be more of the notion that Irish men and women take to the streets, there's a social class war taking place at the min I think.

The rich are getting richer. One class of people are only protecting the interests of themselves.

Let's really go conspiracy, they are readying themselves for what the aliens told the American government about 21/12/12.

No, not at all.

I'd be more of the notion that Irish men and women take to the streets, there's a social class war taking place at the min I think.

The rich are getting richer. One class of people are only protecting the interests of themselves.

So we're not getting invaded?

Damn... I was practising my sultry french accent too
    'listen very carefully, for i shall say this only wonce...

Colmustard wrote: »
    Let's really go conspiracy, they are readying themselves for what the aliens told the American government about 21/12/12.

i think the mayans got it wrong... it'd look MUCH better if it was 21-12 2112

someone forgot to carry the 1 or something, cos they're a century out

gatecrash wrote: »
    i think the mayans got it wrong... it'd look MUCH better if it was 21-12 2112

someone forgot to carry the 1 or something, cos they're a century out

Good point I will go with that,

Or it could have been 21/12/12/21

So it all happens a 9pm on that day, so be afraid, be very afraid.

Seriously, there are always exercises and war games in that area and your mate is probably just thinking there is increased activity because of speculation. Besides the British and the Americans are at war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Spent the weekend in Cambridge and the area is packed with US/NATO bases. My friends there were telling me that in the last few weeks the intensity of training flights and other military aviation flights has gone up to the same as it was before the invasion of Iraq. Lots of movement of US personal on the roads around the place. Real sense of urgency and tension has kicked in during the last month. Locals are convinced they are really going to have a go at Iran soon. Scary stuff.

Autumn is the traditional time for exercises , Sept/Oct time often sees an upturn in activity.

Now where did I leave those iodine tablets ............

Good point I will go with that,

Or it could have been 21/12/12/21

So it all happens a 9pm on that day, so be afraid, be very afraid.

Seriously, there are always exercises and war games in that area and your mate is probably just thinking there is increased activity because of speculation. Besides the British and the Americans are at war.

I was across in the UK last year at my cousins wedding, and was doing the touristy thing in the couplr of days beforehand, stonehenge etc...

Driving along this road i see a road sign in the distance..

http://goo.gl/maps/H5fvk

Me, in a car versus one of them things and I'M the one who has to watch out!!:D

Maybe they're training to blow the Western Rail Corridor to smithereens, & assassinating the West on Track ringleaders?

Well considering how fanatical they are while constantly issuing fathwahs in the direction of the "Dublin Government" you could be on to something alright.

They probably chose east Anglia due to its proximity and similarity to the middle east.

Somewhere hot and dusty like Arizona or Nevada would be no good.

They do not actually drop bombs - they press a button over the target and gone "boom!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Brace yourselves......

You bend over first.

Seriously though, the US is probably gearing up for war with Iran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They probably chose east Anglia due to its proximity and similarity to the middle east. Somewhere hot and dusty like Arizona or Nevada would be no good.
    They do not actually drop bombs - they press a button over the target and gone "boom!"

When you train for a war, you do it in an area similar to where you intend on fighting.

Prince Harry wasn't in Nevada just to play strip pool, the British army.go to Edwards airforce base (which is about the size of Cork) for training, because it is hot, dusty and at altitude similar to Afghanistan.

Cambridge is cold, wet and flatter than a hedgehog on the M50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They're probably gearing up for a Nato exercise, so they can play war-games for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,231 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The military isn't constantly running wargames or training programs. Sounds like the ramp up may have just been from that.

Charleston is for instance always abuzz with C-17s. Numbers aren't easy to spot online, but as many as 120 C-17s are based out of Charleston AFB at any one time, or have been assigned to CHS AFB in total. That's more than half the US contingent; only 241 have ever been made and it's operated by other countries as well.

Flights in and out are extremely regular, other times of year it ramps up, often with no particular correlation in world affairs. Every once in a while you will catch the Combat Air Patrol coming in and out, which for the most part consists of one or two loosely formed superhornets, though I think I've sometimes spotted an F-15 also. The military regularly does training programs though at differing times of year: I have a friend ready to begin Pararescue basic down in Georgia, but that isn't until November that they are starting up the next program. The full course for Pararescue training lasts about 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

@Hitler Dafuq???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

When you train for a war, you do it in an area similar to where you intend on fighting.

Prince Harry wasn't in Nevada just to play strip pool, the British army.go to Edwards airforce base (which is about the size of Cork) for training, because it is hot, dusty and at altitude similar to Afghanistan.

Cambridge is cold, wet and flatter than a hedgehog on the M50.

And is this the voice of experience?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

They only had three forms of communication then... telephone, telegraph and tell a woman!

:D

I'm outta here before the wife catches me! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Biggins wrote: »
    They only had three forms of communication then... telephone, telegraph and tell a woman!

I'm outta here before the wife catches me! :pac:

They had pigeons!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Border-Rat wrote: »
    They had pigeons!

True - more birds! :D

Twit-ters? :D

I was onpy watching something about the Bin Laden assassination, with-in 5 minutes of the helis landing in the compound it was up on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Ah well, what with the Olympics being over there's feck all on TV lately. A good war will nicely fill the void. Sure whats the worst thing that could happen?? Sky must be wetting themselves with excitment. I am off to hoard non-perishables and water containers. To sell to the gullible neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Border-Rat wrote: »
    They had pigeons!
    Lot's of them never made it ...just like the casualties on the beach :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

You can bet that free untrammled internet usage and availability will be the first thing to go in the event of a future wide scale global war.

It must be remembered that the last depression in the 30's was only "solved" when money and credit etc was released and people re-employed and new structures devised when war became inevitable in the late 30's.

It seem likely that a similar situation will arise to break the deadlock now in place. A war with some as yet undefined threat will result in a freeing up of money due to fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

doolox wrote: »
    You can bet that free untrammled internet usage and availability will be the first thing to go in the event of a future wide scale global war.

It must be remembered that the last depression in the 30's was only "solved" when money and credit etc was released and people re-employed and new structures devised when war became inevitable in the late 30's.

It seem likely that a similar situation will arise to break the deadlock now in place. A war with some as yet undefined threat will result in a freeing up of money due to fear.
    I vote we pick Godzilla as the "enemy". Win, win, really. Let the good times roll, baby!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

They are just taking serious precautions. We're dealing with seasoned professionals who need to be prepared for anything. They've served in Iraq and Afghanistan but what they're going to face next is going to tax them to their limits. I wish them all the luck in the world. They're going to need it to deal with all rowdy hipsters in the Iphone 5 queues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Surely to God they're not going to start a war in the middle of a presidential election campaign?!

Obama has been a disappointment, but I'd like to believe he has at least some degree of common sense left :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I was onpy watching something about the Bin Laden assassination, with-in 5 minutes of the helis landing in the compound it was up on Twitter.

Osama's last ever Facebook status,
    "Brb someone's at the door" (US Navy SEALS likes this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I think we may be getting involved in this one as well, think the PDF are getting up to speed. Saw a bunch of these on the N25 near Midleton this evening - with L plates on :eek::eek::eek:PDFTruck.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

OP jumping to conclusions. I don't expect a war to begin until this happens.

And this will be Ireland's response....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Brace yourselves......

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Oh Christ. Can there not be ONE thread where no one mentions the fucking recession

Please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,214 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Maybe they're training to blow the Western Rail Corridor to smithereens,
    ah but its a vital piece of infrastructure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <snip>
    assassinating the West on Track ringleaders?
    what did box car willy and his boys ever do to you?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I guess this movie was just a warning of what's to come ...now a warning only mind you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Latchy wrote: »
    Lot's of them never made it ...just like the casualties on the beach :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Reason why there are so many US & NATO bases in East Anglia is because of the Cold War era. Plus add the US base at Shannon.

The USAF would have been on standby to reinforce military in Germany in the event of a Soviet invasion of Europe.

The RAF & Royal Navy would defend the coastal regions around Britain & probably Ireland, seeking out naval forces & any aerial or amphibious landings & guarding the Atlantic resupply routes.

There's always plenty of high flying fighter jets flying over the Essex & Suffolk coasts if you look out for them, often obscured by low clouds most days!

Nothing to worry about :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

I do a war in my pants somtimes

• Advertisement
Advertisement