Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Only Defoe has the ability to create and score a goal like that. 30 quid bottle of wine is getting opened after this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dempsey is number 2?

Ah, it's apparently a lucky number for him.

As others said earlier, i'm really impressed with Vertongen. Rock solid, and really comfortable on the ball. Fantastic signing, and once Kaboul is back, we'll have an excellent CB pairing.

Dont' remember Brad having to make a save today, very impressed with Jan. Born leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

Defoe is like Robbie, scores against **** teams because he will get multi chances, that's true.

In fairness,reading are ****, so he was the right choice today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Townsend coming on. He's as quick as Lennon so it could be interesting if he gets the ball and a bit of space

Absolutely shocking from Walker, ball watching all the way.

Poor defending from Gallas and Walker there.

Well happy with that result. Completely took the foot off the gas in injury time but I can live with that considering the margin. Good performance and just what the lads and AVB in particular needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Today's win was very badly needed, performance was good but not great. Finishing was woeful

Let's face it , reading were bloody awful and will certainly get relegated. They still managed to score against us

Don't get me wrong , I'm delighted with the win but our woes are far from over . I think united will give us an awful hammering in two weeks time

Our full backs were rubbish today , walker kept giving the ball away. Bale was poor

I like dembele though

I'm still worried

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Great to get the win and break the jinx, think we played very well overall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Great to get the win, but as people were told not to over react to the two draws people should not get too excited by this either. I can't believe just before we got the second he was going negative again replacing Siggy with Hudd. Anyway onwards and upwards hopefully but still not 100% convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

mickman wrote: »
    Let's face it , reading were bloody awful and will certainly get relegated. They still managed to score against us

I think in Premier League terms Reading are a very poor team.

I think they overachieved last season and are a cert to go down.

Very little quality in their squad.

A lot tougher tasks ahead with 7 games in 18 days between the 20th Sept and 7th Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Here Precious

fcuking get in there.

JD shoots he scores , i'm sick of saying it!

Hatch no coincidence for me the way we played today with Livermore out of the side.

COYS ....Our season starts today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Kiith wrote: »
    Who's the hot Russian bird beside the Reading owner? :pac:

His wife
    http://www.katsiazingarevich.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Here Precious

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I can't believe just before we got the second he was going negative again replacing Siggy with Hudd. Anyway onwards and upwards hopefully but still not 100% convinced.

He wasn't !!! , he was dropping Hudd in to Dembele role with Dembele pushing in to Siggy role with Sandro holding.

Christ show a bit of faith in the manager. In AVB we trust.

He wasn't !!! , he was dropping Hudd in to Dembele role with Dembele pushing in to Siggy role with Sandro holding.

How do you know that? Maybe you are right, was it mentioned somewhere?

That's what the commentators mentioned alright, Dembele further forward. Although whether Niall Quinn noticed it or not I couldn't tell you. He waffles some amount of ****e and gets so much wrong but to be fair he has a nice manner about him and is easy to listen to.

SuprSi wrote: »
    That's what the commentators mentioned alright, Dembele further forward. Although whether Niall Quinn noticed it or not I couldn't tell you. He waffles some amount of ****e and gets so much wrong but to be fair he has a nice manner about him and is easy to listen to.

Fair enough my bad so. Yeah Quinn does utter a lot of sh*t, and is too nice really to be a proper pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

Dembele has settled well into the Modric role playing from deep, he made a big difference.

Sandro is playing well too, I dont think Livermore is a bad player for us and has received a lot of criticism lately. However the combination of Sandro/livermore did not suit Spurs as it was too defensive and seemed to bring a lot pressure on us from midfield. When Parker is fully fit who do we think will start the DM role, I like Parker to be honest but AVB I think would prefer Sandro?

What does everyone make of Bale so far this season, he scored today but I havent been overly impressed so far, I think Lennon has started the season better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Spurs back in business !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

fcuking get in there.

JD shoots he scores , i'm sick of saying it!

Hatch no coincidence for me the way we played today with Livermore out of the side.

COYS ....Our season starts today.

Your right, spurs won, livermore didn't play, so livermore must be shi*e :rolleyes:

Delighted, good performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Great to see everyone on here happy again,for a few days anyway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Viva la revolucion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Looks like Naughton could be in the team for a while,Benny needs an op on his knee it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

Well that's just what the doctor ordered.
    A good all round performance that will please AVB.
    The cut backs\passes for the goals were great.
    No aimless crosses with no one getting on the end of them.
    Reading were poor and should struggle this season.
    Defoe looked sharp but can be a hero or villain.
    I have seen him glory before in tight games and he cost us the game.
    In fairness though, he did pass today to Siggy!
    He was given a lot of room against Reading.
    I hope he keeps it going and proves me wrong against better teams.
    We were a lot tighter at the back. "Jan Hammer" looks a star buy.
    Siggy, Lennon, Sandro and Dimbele played well. Sandro as the DM any day for me.
    I hope we have a right go at QPR and set us up for UTD.
    I should have put money on my 3-1 prediction :D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Good win, thought our wastefulness would come back to haunt us but thankfully it didnt. On to QPR now, another away win would be nice.

**EDIT** actually, lazio, then QPR, Carlisle, then UTD, hopefully some more good performances to come to set us up for the UTD game.

Very pleased with yesterdays performance bar conceding late on, took the shine off it. We created plenty, typical of Spurs being wasteful in front of goal. Can’t see that ever changing?

Bale may as well not have been on the pitch, yes he scored, but I didn’t notice him on the field, think in the second half he got the some joy because he attacked down the wing, like he should be doing. At the moment he’s ineffective. He should be one of our key players, at the moment he looks headless.

Some have said it was against lesser opposition, but it gets us off the mark, away wins are hard to come by. Controlled the game from start to finish, Reading did have a ten minute spell. Brad was a spectator throughout the game. I thought initially we’d be lucky to get the draw?

Defoe looks very, very sharp, he’s usually the fall guy and the first to get taken off. I believe if AVB keeps sticks with him, then he’ll be repaid come the end of the season. He’s always had the ability to score 20 goals a season. It was tough for Defoe in previous years, he’d score but would find himself on the bench in the next game. What does that do to a players confidence? There was a simple pull back to Sigurdsson yesterday which he didn’t play. Overall he looked more willing to pass to a player in a more threatening position than himself.

Sandro did have a good game, he still scares me. He can be a little lacksidaisical in possession, he gets caught now and then either trying to do too much, or thinking he has more time than he actually has.
    I rate him very highly, room for improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

What a relief to get that win under our belts. I was so nervous when we were one up.... sure if we hadn't conceded a late goal against WBA and Norwich we'd be second in the table now, but sure August is always a crap month for us! :)

Let's not fool ourselves though, Reading are a poor team. Though the timing of this match was perfect - transfer window shut, back from the international break and in a new training ground - the revolution has started!

I know people have been unhappy with the performances of Bale/Lennon, but once we get a fully fit Adebayor up top you will see a vast improvement from the wings. Saying that though, Defoe didn't do too badly.

I thought Naughton provided good cover for BAE, but 'cover' is all he really is. I can't see him pushing for starting place left back.

Vertonghen was good. I think Kaboul's injury was a blessing in disguise. Vertonghen will get settled in the team playing next to Gallas and when Kaboul gets back fit, Vetonghen will be calling the shots at the back and Kaboul will replace Gallas.

Advertisement