Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitamin tablets- Aldi/Lidl or more expensive brand?

Options
  • 12-09-2012 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've ran out of my Omega Fish oil capsules.
    I was looking to get a new lot. You can get them in Aldi/Lidi very cheaply or in other stores at about 5 or 10 times the cost.

If the strength is the same are they the exact thing/is there any point in buying the more expensive brand?

Same question applies for vitamin tablets in general- cod liver oil, vitaimn D etc.

Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

generally speaking more you pay for supplements the better quality and strength, the ones in tesco and aldi's are high in fillers etc and extremely low amount of vitamins etc only 100% of RDA usually or less.
    Id suggest paying a bit more and getting a product which you will see a difference on such as Solgar multi-vitamins which are amazing, very easy to absorb and high in vitamins and minerals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

generally speaking more you pay for supplements the better quality and strength, the ones in tesco and aldi's are high in fillers etc and extremely low amount of vitamins etc only 100% of RDA usually or less.
    Id suggest paying a bit more and getting a product which you will see a difference on such as Solgar multi-vitamins which are amazing, very easy to absorb and high in vitamins and minerals

"Very easy to absorb"???

What do you mean by that.

How do you quantify the absorbability of a vitamin?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

vitamins and minerals are produced from many sources, some being easy to absorb and some not so much. i know with solgar products they have being longest in industry and have spent so much to ensure easy action of products, even if you leave in glass of water you find it will break down easily unlike many products. its why i often choice that brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

vitamins and minerals are produced from many sources, some being easy to absorb and some not so much. i know with solgar products they have being longest in industry and have spent so much to ensure easy action of products, even if you leave in glass of water you find it will break down easily unlike many products. its why i often choice that brand.

Your stomach isn't filled with water , its filled with an extremely powerful acid. Your stomach will make short work of any tablet.

Don't presume a more expensive brand is better unless there is evidence to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

... only 100% of RDA usually or less.

Why would you need more than 100% of the recommended daily allowance?

Unless you're suffering from a vitamin deficiency no one needs to take daily vitamin supplements.

I'd recommend going with the discount brand OP. If you really feel that you're missing out why not just buy two cheap vitamins and take twice the dose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ziphius wrote: »
    Why would you need more than 100% of the recommended daily allowance?

Unless you're suffering from a vitamin deficiency no one needs to take daily vitamin supplements.

I'd recommend going with the discount brand OP. If you really feel that you're missing out why not just buy two cheap vitamins and take twice the dose?

Your recommending taking a overdose then.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Unless you're suffering from a vitamin deficiency no one needs to take daily vitamin supplements

Why do you say this?

I take extra vitamins. The RDA is basically the amount you need not to be deficient and end up with scurvy and rickets! The more active you are the more vitamins you need for bodily functions.

The rda for vitamin Bs is about 10mg, some bodybuilders (including one from the bodybuilding hall of fame I watched his video recently) suggests getting 200mg per day if youre actively weight training.

an "overdose" and taking more than the rda are two very different things

Your recommending taking a overdose then.?

Nope, I was being a touch sarcastic. Many vitamin tablets already contain more than the RDA -- the vitamin C tablets I have beside me have 167% RDA! Most people don't need to take vitamin supplements at all, they get enough from their diet.

I think you'd need to take a huge over dose to experience any negative effects. Most excess vitamins will simply leave the body through the urine. Vitamin C, for example, cannot be stored in the human body.

I doubt taking vitamin supplements will cause you any harm, though it probably won't do much good. Personally, I think it's a waste of money.

ziphius, if you get the time watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

Shows the importance of vitamins and minerals in a "one womans story" kind of way.

• Advertisement

Shows the importance of vitamins and minerals in a "one womans story" kind of way.

Thanks, I'll take a look. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that vitamins aren't necessary for human health just that supplements aren't needed for most healthy people. The question in the OP was if brand name supplements are superior discount own-brands and warrant the premium tag. My one word answer is "no".

Mine is also no.

I buy tesco vitamins.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The fact that so many of our vegetables are no longer farm fresh means that the vitamin content can be reduced hugely.

An interesting video. I'm glad it illustrates the benefits of a healthy well balanced diet rather than some quick and easy fad. Did the change in diet cure her MS? Maybe, maybe not. We can't say for certain.

been a while since I watched it, but basically changing her diet was all she did differently.

been a while since I watched it, but basically changing her diet was all she did differently.

Well she was taking medical treatment.

The fact that so many of our vegetables are no longer farm fresh means that the vitamin content can be reduced hugely.

Well I guess if I'm to be fair, removing fruit and vegetables entirely from your diet and replacing them with vitamin supplements would be the most economical solution. :D

been a while since ive watched it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Referring to vitamin tablets of the same/similar strength, why is there such a difference in price between store-brand vitamins and branded vitamins, if the branded ones are no more effective than the store-brand ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

whirlpool wrote: »
    Referring to vitamin tablets of the same/similar strength, why is there such a difference in price between store-brand vitamins and branded vitamins, if the branded ones are no more effective than the store-brand ones?

Sure you could say the same about any product! It's effective marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Huge difference in the quality of vitamins. Just like cheap food is bad for you so are cheap vitamins.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/nutricon/qa.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

cgarrad wrote: »
    Huge difference in the quality of vitamins. Just like cheap food is bad for you so are cheap vitamins.

But vitamins have a defined molecular makeup, the only difference will be the strength and possibly fillers involved.

Regardless of fillers, lets say the listed amount of active ingredients are the same. There is often a huge price difference between, say, Lidl brand and, say, Sona brand for example.

Regardless of fillers, lets say the listed amount of active ingredients are the same. There is often a huge price difference between, say, Lidl brand and, say, Sona brand for example.

There's a huge price difference between loads of Lidl products vs Branded products even thou Lidl are miles better in terms of taste and quality.

It boils down to peoples' ignorance, lack of knowledge and level of brain washing.

ebixa82 wrote: »
    There's a huge price difference between loads of Lidl products vs Branded products even thou Lidl are miles better in terms of taste and quality.

It boils down to peoples' ignorance, lack of knowledge and level of brain washing.

It's a lot more difficult for us as regular consumers to test the difference in quality of vitamins, though, compared with other products such as food and cleaning products, with which the difference in quality between brands is glaringly obvious.

To point out that a that a brand name will charge a premium for its own goods seems tediously glib at this stage.That people are happy to be fleeced by the high price brand name is there own prerogative. Compare the packets next time you're shopping (the make-up is on the package). It's the same chemical. Whatever makes you happy.

Ziphius wrote: »
    To point out that a that a brand name will charge a premium for its own goods seems tediously glib at this stage.That people are happy to be fleeced by the high price brand name is there own prerogative. Compare the packets next time you're shopping (the make ip is on th package). It's the same chemical. Whatever makes you happy.

The price differences are colossal between Lidl/Aldi vitamins and branded "equivalents." Yes, we all know that branded products are more expensive. However, in the case of vitamins the price differences are abnormally large (that is why this thread exists) and for that reason I think it's a highly justified query.

You don't see similar threads about other types of products in other forums, do you? No.

The prices difference are colossal between Lidl/Aldi vitamins and branded "equivalents." Yes, we all know that branded products are more expensive. However, in the case of vitamins the price differences are abnormally large. That is why this thread exists. And I think it's a highly justified query.

I've no idea what the prices are. Do they diverge from the regular price differnce of Aldi/Lidl products from the mainstream. IMHO anyone paying over €2 for a packet of vitamins is being ripped off.

cgarrad wrote: »

This's nonsense.

• Advertisement

It's a lot more difficult for us as regular consumers to test the difference in quality of vitamins, though, compared with other products such as food and cleaning products, with which the difference in quality between brands is glaringly obvious.

I think this is the crux of your problem.

You seem to think that there is a major difference in quality in favour of branded products. However the opposite is usually the case.

Aldi/Lidl are not only cheaper but very often (not always) of a far superior quality.

There is no reason why vitamins should be expensive apart from big brands such as Sona, Seven Seas etc. taking the piss and charging exorbitant prices having fooled people like yourselves into believing the prices are justified.

Advertisement