Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitamin tablets- Aldi/Lidl or more expensive brand?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I thought the price difference was due to the fact that the Lidl vitamins are synthetic and therefore not as good i.e. it is harder for the body to absorb synthetic vitamins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    I thought the price difference was due to the fact that the Lidl vitamins are synthetic and therefore not as good i.e. it is harder for the body to absorb synthetic vitamins?

A vitamin is a vitamin. Whether it was synthesized by in a factory by a human or in cell via some natural biochemical process is irrelevant. It's the same compound.

What is the provenance of the premium brand vitamins? Polar bear livers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ziphius wrote: »
    What is the provenance of the premium brand vitamins? Polar bear livers?

A liver a day for your vitamin A! Seriously though, it'll kill you. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

whirlpool wrote: »
    Ziphius wrote: »
    To point out that a that a brand name will charge a premium for its own goods seems tediously glib at this stage.That people are happy to be fleeced by the high price brand name is there own prerogative. Compare the packets next time you're shopping (the make ip is on th package). It's the same chemical. Whatever makes you happy.

The price differences are colossal between Lidl/Aldi vitamins and branded "equivalents." Yes, we all know that branded products are more expensive. However, in the case of vitamins the price differences are abnormally large (that is why this thread exists) and for that reason I think it's a highly justified query.

You don't see similar threads about other types of products in other forums, do you? No.

You've just pointed it why this thread is completely pointless. There is no justification for those prices, as long as The nutritional info on both are equivalent.

Anything medical tends to have a huge premium on branded product.

Look at Nurofen vs Buplex.

However, in some cases, the premium brand pills are much smaller, which is a deal breaker for some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭hudhastings

Regarding lidl or Aldi omega 3s only have certain amount epa/dha . There dirt cheap though or they have ones in dunnes 8 euro for 150 ... 120/120 epa/dha.

Good quality costs a fortune for 250/320 epa/dha. Or get them on bulk powders high quality omega 3s.

What I do is buy good quality one cheap on bulk powders and buy cheap one in Aldi and take 3 cheap ones and one good one.

Beats forking out like 30/40e a month.

Another thing you buy in Aldi is magnesium. Be careful magnesium oxide is much. And it's not good for stomach. Only buy the other magnesium saturate

Magnesium oxide only 4%can be absorbed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement