Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly Pierced Ears - Pain

Options
  • 12-09-2012 9:23am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got my ears re-pierced in Claires yesterday.. the reason being that when I got them done all those years ago the holes were too far away from my face and I didn't like them.

Anyway, so today is day 2 and I've been using the cleaning solution they gave me but I notice my ears are a little tender and red this morning.. I'm wondering if this is normal or if I should be concerned.

I can't remember if this happened the last time as I was only 10 at the time.

Anyone have any advice on what I should use to clean them other than the solution as I don't think it's up to much.. There isn't even an antiseptic smell off the stuff she gave me tbh.

Cheers.

PS I have a wedding next week and can't have big swollen Shrek ears for it

Also, I paid €45 for the most hypo-allergenic earrings they had.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The problem is most likely due to how they pierce in places like Claires!
    They use a piercing 'gun' that basically uses force to push a blunt stud through your ear, tearing through your ear as opposed to cutting through cleanly as a needle would if it was pierced by a proper piercer.

The best advice would be to throw away that solution. Make your own basic solution. Put some boiling water in a glass, add a little sea salt (just enough to make it taste a little like tears) and let it cool, then soak the piercing in this solution.
    Don't make a bunch of it and store it, as it'll no longer be sterile.
    To make it easier to do the soaking, it's probably easiest to do it using an egg cup or something small and manageable!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why do people continually go to places like Claires? To be honest, i think they get what they deserve for stupidity.

Because they don't know better. Referring to that as stupidity is kinda ignorant.
    I know that most people would just assume that a proper piercer wouldn't bother with earlobes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Because they don't know better. Referring to that as stupidity is kinda ignorant.
    I know that most people would just assume that a proper piercer wouldn't bother with earlobes.

And I have been to a proper piercer who didn't bother with earlobes.

I used to think guns were fine, cause my parents brought me to a jewelers to get my ears done, and all my friends got it done that way.

Not sure how to educate the masses!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Melion wrote: »
    i think they get what they deserve for stupidity.

Bit harsh, no?

I've had other piercings done in proper piercing places (nose, navel, eyebrow) when I was younger..

Having had my ears done in a Chemist originally (which were fine according to my Mother) I didn't see it being a terribly complicated procedure.

Anyway, I've bathed them in some salty water as suggested and they feel a bit better.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

xzanti wrote: »
    Bit harsh, no?

I've had other piercings done in proper piercing places (nose, navel, eyebrow) when I was younger..

Having had my ears done in a Chemist originally (which were fine) I didn't see it being a terribly complicated procedure.

Anyway, I've bathed them in some salty water as suggested and they feel a bit better.

Cheers.

That makes it even worse in my eyes

I've been asking people in my new town where I can go for piercings, want another set in my lobes. Almost all told me to go to Claires, even people who have other piercings that have been done in studios. They all think guns are fine for lobes.

I guess you go into get something done in a peircing studio they aren't gonna randomly give you the info on guns too.

xzanti wrote: »

Cheers.

If you do that a couple of times a day, it should help the healing process and keeping them nice and healthy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Go on :) indulge me

I think he's trying to say 'You should know better" or something along those lines.
    I do know where you're coming from, but I'm going to ask you to please try not to treat people condescendingly.
    You can educate people on best practice and it'll go a lot further than belittling them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Just wondering - my 7 yr old wants hers done and I dont want to bring her to claires but also not to a tattoo/piercing place (if u get what i mean!!) is there anywhere child-friendly that would use the needle instead of gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

Redpunto wrote: »
    Just wondering - my 7 yr old wants hers done and I dont want to bring her to claires but also not to a tattoo/piercing place (if u get what i mean!!) is there anywhere child-friendly that would use the needle instead of gun?

most piercing studio's/tattoo shops are child friendly , but still gething one to pierce a kids ears may be tricky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭piercingdanny

Most professional piercers won't pierce people under 16 for a variety of reasons. The main reason not to pierce someone as young as 7 is that when the earlobes are pierced at such a young age the piercings can move down in the ears as the child grows and end up being very low down on the lobe when they get to adulthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I've had my first ear pericings since I was 9 and they haven't moved at all? :confused:

Also OP, I read your post in the beauty forum. Cleaning them 4-5 times a day, expecially if you're twsting the stud, is excessive. Try not to twist the stud and clean it 3 times a day with the sea-salt solution. You should be fine in no time.

No more gun percing/getting pierced with gold though.... I wish I had known that myself when I was younger, it's a mistake most of us have made so I wouldn't worry about the holier than thou crowd :p

There was a thread here recently where a dad brought a young child to a piercer and got her lobes done. I would phone around your local studios and ask if they are willing to do it.

Advertisement