Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel between Dublin & Limerick - what are my options?

• 12-09-2012 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I was hoping to travel from Dublin to Limerick on a Tuesday & return on a Wednesday. Can any of you tell me what are my options: bus companies, train, etc..

Thanks,
    Fi.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Train

Irishrail - Heuston Station to Colbert Station

Bus

Bus Eireann - 12 bus between Busaras and Colbert Station
    JJ Kavanagh - Eden Quay to Arthurs Quay
    Dublin Coach - Westmoreland Street to Arthur's Quay
    Kelly Travel - Red Cow to CityEast Plaza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Train is quicker and more comfortable. Bus is cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If you are to get the bus get the Dublin Coach. It is the fastest option after the train. It's 2hrs 45 (train is 2hrs 15ish). Costs 10 euro each way, buy ticket on the bus.

Bus Eireann and JJ Kavanagh take well over 3 hours each (possibly 4 for the latter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Dublin Coach wins hands down over all other options.

It departs and arrives in the centre of both cities (big advantage over train).

It costs 20 euro return (another big advantage over train).

It takes a maximum of 2 hours 45 mins (not much slower than the train and it gets you to the centre of Limerick/Dublin).

It doesn't stop in every little village. There are three very quick stops - UL, Kildare Village outlet centre (just off the motorway), and Luas depot at Red Cow.

It's much more frequent than the train (departures roughly every hour).

On pretty much every level it wins over the train, and certainly over all other bus services.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 miqeel

zulutango wrote: »
    Dublin Coach wins hands down over all other options.

It departs and arrives in the centre of both cities (big advantage over train).

It costs 20 euro return (another big advantage over train).

It takes a maximum of 2 hours 45 mins (not much slower than the train and it gets you to the centre of Limerick/Dublin).

It doesn't stop in every little village. There are three very quick stops - UL, Kildare Village outlet centre (just off the motorway), and Luas depot at Red Cow.

It's much more frequent than the train (departures roughly every hour).

On pretty much every level it wins over the train, and certainly over all other bus services.

I second that, Dublin Coach is probably the best bus service between Limerick and Dublin. Unless you need to bring 4 people to Dublin, you will always save money. Plus the on-board broadband. And comfy chairs. Reccomended!

• Advertisement

Is Dublin coach and the M7 express the same crowd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Yes they are the same, the big green buses you often see on the motorway.

http://www.dublincoach.ie

Timetables and more info on their website. Bus leaves every hour.

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Yes they are the same, the big green buses you often see on the motorway.

http://www.dublincoach.ie

Timetables and more info on their website. Bus leaves every hour.
    Never used them but friends have and say they're brilliant. Up in 2 hours, comfy seats and free wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fidero

fidero wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I was hoping to travel from Dublin to Limerick on a Tuesday & return on a Wednesday. Can any of you tell me what are my options: bus companies, train, etc..

Thanks,
    Fi.

Hi guys,
    I have to say a BIG thanks for all your replies & information!! Dublin coach sounds like it has my money then.

Did they have something where ya even got a cheaper fare if ya got off at the Luas stop after traveling back from Limerick?

GMMA,
    Fi.

PS: the reply feature doesn't seem to work like it would in the forum proper when using iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Txatxu Urki

Hi, I've used Dublin coach twice in the last few weeks and i have to agree its the way to go. Very good service. Recommended.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fidero

fidero wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks,
    Fi.

Hi guys,
    Thanks for all the info., sounds like there is only one option then.

GMMA,
    Fi.

Advertisement