Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lord mayor of cork earns more than Spanish PM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I blame the banks/Germany/bond holders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Shameful stuff. :mad:

rabble rabble you're only jealous and begrudgers rabble public sector bashers are mean rabble need to advertise high salaries for best workers

did i cover it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I live in Ireland.

Why would I be worried about what the lord mayor of a different country earns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

No need for any county councillors in any county. Complete waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Well he is running a People's Republic. What did you expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Simple make him King of Cork, cut them out from their Dublin subsidies and let them fend for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Simple make him King of Cork, cut them out from their Dublin subsidies and let them fend for themselves.

So does the Peoples Republic get remaned the Peoples Kingdom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

This man for Taoiseach!

iDave wrote: »
    So does the Peoples Republic get remaned the Peoples Kingdom?

You think a democracy would keep those Langers in check? Let them look after themselves and they'd be voting for trees. A dictatorship or monarchy is the only way it'd work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

bluewolf wrote: »
    rabble rabble you're only jealous and begrudgers rabble public sector bashers are mean rabble need to advertise high salaries for best workers

did i cover it all

You forgot blast them with piss and Yore Ma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Joe Duffy earns more than Obama! At least the mayor isnt pontificating to the country everyday and talking out of both sides of his mouth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I really thought the IMF would have sorted this kind of cr@p out at this stage of the takeover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

So here is the question...
    Is the Spanish PM grossly underpaid or is the Cork LM grossly overpaid?
    Or does it really matter what those in higher office in Ireland are getting paid as long as it comes out of the taxpayers pocket because, as usual, nothing substantive will ever be done about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

On a point of order Cork does not have a lord mayor. There are only two lord mayors in Ireland - Dublin and Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

what public servants get paid..........can be altered by simple civil disobedience action...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Well the Spanish PM should certainly not be making mental money since Spain is in an awful state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

what public servants get paid..........can be altered by simple civil disobedience action...

Plenty of overtime for the guards if that happens.

We need solutions, not more costs to the taxpayer.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

How does the mayor of Cork make ~25K more in salary, than the mayor of Dublin?

How does the mayor of Cork make ~25K more in salary, than the mayor of Dublin?

He told the people of Cork that the Dublin mayor earns more and obviously they couldn't let Dublin beat them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Lumbo wrote: »
    Plenty of overtime for the guards if that happens.

We need solutions, not more costs to the taxpaye

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

ok....do nothing.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Good work if you can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

K.Flyer wrote: »
    So here is the question...
    Is the Spanish PM grossly underpaid or is the Cork LM grossly overpaid?
    Or does it really matter what those in higher office in Ireland are getting paid as long as it comes out of the taxpayers pocket because, as usual, nothing substantive will ever be done about it.

yeah, but the PM of Spain doesn't even pay for his own tea....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

joolsveer wrote: »
    On a point of order Cork does not have a lord mayor. There are only two lord mayors in Ireland - Dublin and Belfast.

http://www.corkcity.ie/lordmayor/

better tell them so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Interestingly if you look up his schedule there for this coming Sunday you'll see:

3.30 p.m. Formally close the Emergency Services Exhibition– in the City Hall.
    4.00 p.m. Attend the 2012 Camogie All Ireland Senior Championship Final – in Croke Park.
    6.30 p.m. Attend the Irish Blood Transfusion Service Donor Award Ceremony – in
    Rochestown Park Hotel.

Anyone see the problem here? That free car of his must be well fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The political and upper civil service class in this country are a cartel of self serving treasonous leeches and the sooner the streets run red with their blood, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Ush1 wrote: »
    Well the Spanish PM should certainly not be making mental money since Spain is in an awful state.

Its in better shape than us though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

More importantly, the Lord Mayor of Cork.. is from Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

The political and upper civil service class in this country are a cartel of self serving treasonous leeches and the sooner the streets run red with their blood, the better.

I love you. The words you typed are so funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ghandee wrote: »

Yes debt wise.

But we have an unemployment rate of roughly 15%, Spain is at 25% with youth unemployment at 53%!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/9432212/Spanish-jobless-rate-24.6pc-youth-unemployment-at-53pc.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ghandee wrote: »

It's really, really not. Their unemployment is through the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ridiculous. Towns and cities would function perfectly well without Mayors. Do they actually perform any duties which towns or cities cannot do without?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

CJC999 wrote: »
    Ridiculous. Towns and cities would function perfectly well without Mayors. Do they actually perform any duties which towns or cities cannot do without?

they have to power to grant half-days, not to be underestimated!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 apaynea

Ridiculous waste of money! I presume the lord mayor of Cork is decided in the same way as the Dublin one, with each main party taking a turn at appointing one of their councilors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Plazaman wrote: »
    Well he is running a People's Republic. What did you expect?

Across the border the kingdom of kerry is ruled by the gombeen dynasty of healy-rae.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

I am cursed to live and work in Longford where we have a town Mayor, County Mayor and Granard, a 1 street village has a mayor and all three have in the past topped the poll for expenses claimed.
    The current town l mayor cannot speak in public which is pretty much the main function of a mayor. He regularly gets titters and giggles from his audience. The latest doozie i witnessed was his opening of a literary festival which he referred to as a liturgy festival.
    naturally enough these unqualified, ill educated people are voted in by their fellow travellers on the council.
    Ireland Ladies and gentlemen..IRELAND!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

He is worth every penny of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Who else could possibly take charge of a big pair of scissors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

-Because his... worth it !!!
    but he will still earn more than the prime ministers of Israel, Sweden, Spain and even Russia.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mayor-takes-9000-pay-cut-but-still-earns-more-than-spanish-pm-3227277.html
    One thing to talk about spain, but more than the PM of Russia, the peoples republic of Russia has a few things to learn from us in Cork.

I assume the Lord of Dublin whose earning a pity 20grand less, will seriously look into this; with the obvious solution of an fair-equality-ratio-population-salary scale. ie a 40 grand increase to beat Cork, but in order todo so will just have to raise a couple of eruo in taxs from the peasant middle-class, time to send out the sheriff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

I really thought the IMF would have sorted this kind of cr@p out at this stage of the takeover

they are only interested in screwing the average man, not the elite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

he gets an "entertainment expenses" bonus?!?

is that not what is wages are for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

joolsveer wrote: »

Yes and the plain old regular Mayor of Cork could buy and sell them both :P

So I have a question - are there Mayors all over the country makign this kind of money ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

When will people realise the complete irrelevance of comparisons between wages in different countries?

I bet the Lord Mayor of Cork's mortgage is also higher, as would be his shopping bill, the price of his children's school books, his electricity, his petrol, his suits.....etc., etc., etc.

I'm not saying he's paid too little our just right or making any sort of comment on what he should be paid. Bringing the Spanish Prime Minister's wages into is only relevant if you're a reactionary who puts no thought into your opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

In the Republic of Ireland, the posts of Lord Mayor of Dublin (granted under the Kingdom of Ireland) and Lord Mayor of Cork (granted when this city was part of the United Kingdom) still exist, and are symbolic titles as in the UK.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Mayor

For a symbolic position the pay is ridiculous, to paraphrase george wallace
    Being governor mayor don't mean a thing anymore in this country. We're nothing. Just high-paid ornaments is all. I'm thinking of running for president myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

.....etc., etc., etc.
    ah don't stop keep going... don't forget big novelty scissors.
    BTW I thought the cost of living in Dublin would be more than Cork.

I have no problem with a Lord Mayor, n' I like our new one, I do think they should have a more administrate role in the county public service, then sack every single local councillor, no idea what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

She was in the band SIX FFS
    The royaltys alone must keep her :-)

This is why we need accountability in public finances, if councils were locally funded something might be done about it and as well as that yokels might stop complaining about Dublin taking all their money. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I heard about this and did a small bit of research, and listened to a couple of interviews. It would seem that the Lord Mayor of Cork does not personally earn more than the PM of Spain. For example, as far as I am aware, the office of Mayor is allocated 80000, not the Mayor himself. The Mayor himself also does not use the car except for official engagements. I also take him at face value when he says he uses either his own car or public transport.

I do think his actual salary is probably too high, and he agrees by suggesting a 10% cut. Either way, in my opinion, suggesting the Lord Mayor of Cork earns as much as the PM of Spain for example makes a good headline/story but it is a little too black and white for me.

Advertisement