Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Roche's comments on front of Munster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

fricatus wrote: »
    So what? It's much better if we're standing up for ourselves rather than just accepting it like so many sheep!

I find it funny that Galway has not been mentioned up until now, other than in some obscure policy document. Indeed Sully admitted to me in this thread that he had no answer to that question, and in fairness Sully is rarely short of an answer! Who's to say that the pressure exerted by the local media and the shirt campaign over the past week or so hasn't forced the government's hand on merging other councils, and not just Waterford, Tipp and Limerick?

After a deal is done it's no time to protest! Paudie Coffey made the fair point in his statement that there had been opportunities to debate this, which our public representatives didn't make use of. In fairness to him, he's right. If you want a policy changed, the time to get up in arms about it is as soon as there's a sniff of it in the air.

That is very much not an obscure policy document. Have you even read it? It is very impressive piece of work that has been in the public domain since July 2010. If everything in that document is introduced we will end up with much more efficient local government.

My fear was Hogan would do what most Ministers do - assemble an expert group, pay top dollar for a report and then throw it in the bin and do what they like anyway. Fingers crossed he will actually implement what is suggested in that report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

In two years time Waterford City will be 1100 years old, I for one am not about to lie down and let this happen on my watch.
    I have no argument with cost savings, and by all means share services etc, but the elephant in the room with all these ham fisted leaks by the Gov is the Croke Park Agreement, all this will save is the wages of politicians no one can be laid off only them. HSE all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sully wrote: »
    Waterford is not the only city or county being part of a reform so its not a matter of the government just picking on the Deise folk because of evil big Phil. :)

Stil defending FG. Some things never, ever change. Get some sense boy will ya.

fricatus wrote: »
    TBH, I'm very disappointed that they're thinking of doing the same in Galway. The reasons that it doesn't make sense to do this in Waterford also apply to Galway. Despite its recent success, the west still needs a thriving city at its heart, and that city needs its own council, and not to have its focus taken away by non-urban concerns.

By all means merge neighbouring county councils, but the cities all need specifically focussed councils to drive their own particular agendas forward. My own view is that if a city has an urban population of a particular figure, it should automatically have a city council covering the urban area, regardless of county boundaries.

If you set this level at 50,000 you would have five city councils, with Waterford and Limerick extending into Kilkenny and Clare respectively. If you set it at 25,000 you could have a city council in Kilkenny, and also in larger places like Dundalk, Drogheda and Ennis. I would argue that Swords and Bray, being contiguous with Dublin, should come under a Greater Dublin council, but they could equally have their own city councils (as Lisburn and Newtonabbey do north of the border).

What's happening in Waterford is a downgrade of the city, no doubt about it. It doesn't make me one bit happier if the same is to happen to Galway, although I'm relieved if we're not being singled out as I thought we were.

Perhaps Limerick, Galway and Waterford all need to lobby for retention of their councils and indeed expansion into their hinterlands?

Amazing how it has only reared its head after all the activity in Waterford in the past week.:rolleyes: You are dead right tough. A 100% downgrade - even though others on here blinded by FG propaganda would have you believe otherwise. There is absolutely no doubt that a county agenda, along with Hulk Hogan's, is at play here. Ably assisted by the three TDs in our constituency.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    Stil defending FG. Some things never, ever change. Get some sense boy will ya.

Dude, can I just say one thing before I continue to let you spread your nonsense? I absolutely love you! Iv been having a bad week and you just put a smile right back on my face. Tail between the legs much? :D

• Advertisement

Dude, can I just say one thing before I continue to let you spread your nonsense? I absolutely love you! Iv been having a bad week and you just put a smile right back on my face. Tail between the legs much? :D

Kinda like your FG tail between your FG legs Sully? Be a good subservient there and put on the kettle will you?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

According to this Galway is not included in any such merger.Only Waterford and Limerick.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/500-staff-to-lose-jobs-in-slimming-down-merger-of-local-government-3258937.html

Also considering the policy document precedes the government coming to power and that this government is outshining the last when it comes to parochialism I doubt we are out of the woods yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

According to this Galway is not included in any such merger.Only Waterford and Limerick.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/500-staff-to-lose-jobs-in-slimming-down-merger-of-local-government-3258937.html

Also considering the policy document precedes the government coming to power and that this government is outshining the last when it comes to parochialism I doubt we are out of the woods yet.

Leaving the bigger cities alone it appears. I'd be more interested to see if he tackles his own constituency tho.

Cant help but feel its a missed opportunity - leaving two large cities alone and scrapping the rest. Plus Galway has been on the cards since 2010.

Leaving the bigger cities alone it appears. I'd be more interested to see if he tackles his own constituency tho.

Cant help but feel its a missed opportunity - leaving two large cities alone and scrapping the rest. Plus Galway has been on the cards since 2010.

It's called - shock:eek: - running an agenda.

Scrap them all - or none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

You are talking complete nonsense.You have described the city as a "Ghost Town" This would imply the city centre would be completely empty of trade and businesses.This is far from the case and you can see from my posts here and on other threads that I have clearly made the arguements for the need for a strong city centre with retail being at the centre of its strength. You on the other hand have thrown around terms like "Ghost Town" willy nilly and made spurious comparisons with Cork as if it were some sort of "Paris of the North" when in fact a huge portion of Cork City centre actually resembles a mission district in a US city. The slow decline you have described seems to be a yearning for a time when two way traffic could drive from the clock tower to the car stand and vice versa or when John Roberts square was a patchwork of cobble, tarmac and gravel as was Cathedral square.Or when City Square and Peter steet had nothing but a car park.Instead of writing the city off why not try and make some suggestion that contributes something other than knocking?

Waterford City is completely empty of trade and business most nights of the week. Lack of even a proper one way traffic system and ridiculous parking fees can't help.

I am not writing the Waterford City off, however I am acknowledging that major damage has been inflicted on the City by the City Council and planners; we need effective change.

If Cork and its vibrant night life is not your cup of tea maybe Kilkenny might be.

Kilkenny's McDonagh Junction offers 3 hours parking for €2; a free childrens fun house in the middle of the centre; ample seating; and free toilet faclities. This is a proactive approach to bring people in the City Centre and it appear to be working.

Most people are not willing to pay for over priced services or over inflated City, Town or County Councils.

• Advertisement

Waterford City is completely empty of trade and business most nights of the week. Lack of even a proper one way traffic system and ridiculous parking fees can't help.

I am not writing the Waterford City off, however I am acknowledging that major damage has been inflicted on the City by the City Council and planners; we need effective change.

If Cork and its vibrant night life is not your cup of tea maybe Kilkenny might be.

Kilkenny's McDonagh Junction offers 3 hours parking for €2; a free childrens fun house in the middle of the centre; ample seating; and free toilet faclities. This is a proactive approach to bring people in the City Centre and it appear to be working.

Most people are not willing to pay for over priced services or over inflated City, Town or County Councils.

Waterford City council is 't over inflated.The County is. 15 councillors versus someting like 65 across the county. McDonagh Junction is textbook bad planning.A major shopping centre on the periphery of the traditional city centre.What Waterford City Council has done is try to create a sustainable city centre not subject to populist sentiments like yours.As for Cork Nightlife the main problem with Waterford is the City night life was in the hands of two players one of which went bust. If we follow your line of logic we will have the worst excesses of the US.People driving to the front door of where they shop and half of them needing mobility scooters due to obesity which is worryingy evident in places like Blanchardstown and Liffey Valley alrerady. Let me guess you're one of those people who think your hazzards are "park anywhere lights". Your also over egging the pudding when it comes to your descriptions of Cork nightlife.It's OK but that is it.

Looks like Galway is being spared after all.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1016/phil-hogan-local-government-cabinet-politics.html

This is a downgrade for us no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Looks like Galway is being spared after all.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1016/phil-hogan-local-government-cabinet-politics.html

This is a downgrade for us no doubt about it.

agree with that, no doubt. is it time to vote FF again, so soon after them running the country into the ground, but the inaction of the govt on the SE region with the highest unemployment and complete lack of solid action for Waterford is obvious. Added to that, they havent shown themselves to be any different or any bright ideas, increase taxes on middle incomes and leave themselves and the highest paid civil servants largely untouched. At the moment, I cant see myself voting FG/LAb anyway. Paudie, ciara and deasy have largely been silent and pathetic in my opinion.

Waterford City council is 't over inflated.The County is. 15 councillors versus someting like 65 across the county. McDonagh Junction is textbook bad planning.A major shopping centre on the periphery of the traditional city centre.What Waterford City Council has done is try to create a sustainable city centre not subject to populist sentiments like yours.As for Cork Nightlife the main problem with Waterford is the City night life was in the hands of two players one of which went bust. If we follow your line of logic we will have the worst excesses of the US.People driving to the front door of where they shop and half of them needing mobility scooters due to obesity which is worryingy evident in places like Blanchardstown and Liffey Valley alrerady. Let me guess you're one of those people who think your hazzards are "park anywhere lights". Your also over egging the pudding when it comes to your descriptions of Cork nightlife.It's OK but that is it.

Waterford is a city centre that is not assessable or attractive to people who don't have much money (it doesn't seem to be that assessable or attractive to people who do either, if business people are to be believed). It is the services the McDonagh Centre offers - you missed the point again. Are you a member of the council by any chance?

My kind of logic is evidence based.
    Your kind of logic appears to be emotive and dependent on possessing EPS - your not very good a guessing though.

And that's the on going problem with Waterford, some people just miss the point and try to cover it with bluster and anti Waterford sentiment. Your not related to Bertie by any chance, you definitely use his tactics when trying to argue a point, make it emotive.

I do enjoy going out in Cork, its lively and vibrant and that's what I would like Waterford to be; a breathing, living, used, affordable, open, eclectic city; Not the lonely town it has become. Your experience is that its not as lively, fair enough - should I accuse you of acting in a stupid manner, perhaps say "You are probably one of those people who drive around with your fog lights on, even when it not foggy" I leave that sort of thing to you.

A Waterford "Of the people, by the people, for the people" (Lincoln)
    thats what I would like not just the words but the sentiment as well.

The City is not working as it stands; it is the councillors responsibility to recognise this and start the work of changing the dynamics; perhaps when the councils are amalgamated some new ideas will come into play and allow for some realism when it comes to factors like parking fees, rates, etc; this will allow businesses to keep going and people to come into the city.

The demise of Waterford City is in no small part related to the vicious circle of over priced service meaning less people come into the city centre; and businesses not being able to pay ridiculous rates, due to lack business because of overpriced services, all in climate of economic depression.

Waterford is lagging behind, the costs of running the city need to be cut, value for money must be given. Most of all the councillors need to recognise the problems that exist and not gloss over them using arguements like anti Waterford sentiment as an excuse. Councillors need to start doing the job they are paid for; eg. businesses cannot be let go under because they cannot afford to pay rates, while statues are being erected using money the council
    are not being prudent purchasesing.

We have the highest rate of unemployment; one of the highest emigration rates; we can't afford any elements of our city our county to be under functioning and over inflated. If the councils are to be amalgamated it would hope to see more than the 20% staff reduction as is happening in Limerick.

Waterford needs a vibrant city centre to make both the city and county attractive to all comers - its not a vibrant city centre now; it could be in the future by proper scientific methodology and analysis have be used to bring this about and not the 'I know best mentality that appears to exist among alot of members of the council and the planners'.

I won't presuppose you will disagree, I wouldn't even "hazzard" a guess, it wouldn't be me. Anecdotally, thats your style:)

Waterford is a city centre that is not assessable or attractive to people who don't have much money (it doesn't seem to be that assessable or attractive to people who do either, if business people are to be believed). It is the services the McDonagh Centre offers - you missed the point again. Are you a member of the council by any chance?

My kind of logic is evidence based.
    Your kind of logic appears to be emotive and dependent on possessing EPS - your not very good a guessing though.

And that's the on going problem with Waterford, some people just miss the point and try to cover it with bluster and anti Waterford sentiment. Your not related to Bertie by any chance, you definitely use his tactics when trying to argue a point, make it emotive.

I do enjoy going out in Cork, its lively and vibrant and that's what I would like Waterford to be; a breathing, living, used, affordable, open, eclectic city; Not the lonely town it has become. Your experience is that its not as lively, fair enough - should I accuse you of acting in a stupid manner, perhaps say "You are probably one of those people who drive around with your fog lights on, even when it not foggy" I leave that sort of thing to you.

A Waterford "Of the people, by the people, for the people" (Lincoln)
    thats what I would like not just the words but the sentiment as well.

The City is not working as it stands; it is the councillors responsibility to recognise this and start the work of changing the dynamics; perhaps when the councils are amalgamated some new ideas will come into play and allow for some realism when it comes to factors like parking fees, rates, etc; this will allow businesses to keep going and people to come into the city.

The demise of Waterford City is in no small part related to the vicious circle of over priced service meaning less people come into the city centre; and businesses not being able to pay ridiculous rates, due to lack business because of overpriced services, all in climate of economic depression.

Waterford is lagging behind, the costs of running the city need to be cut, value for money must be given. Most of all the councillors need to recognise the problems that exist and not gloss over them using arguements like anti Waterford sentiment as an excuse. Councillors need to start doing the job they are paid for; eg. businesses cannot be let go under because they cannot afford to pay rates, while statues are being erected using money the council
    are not being prudent purchasesing.

We have the highest rate of unemployment; one of the highest emigration rates; we can't afford any elements of our city our county to be under functioning and over inflated. If the councils are to be amalgamated it would hope to see more than the 20% staff reduction as is happening in Limerick.

Waterford needs a vibrant city centre to make both the city and county attractive to all comers - its not a vibrant city centre now; it could be in the future by proper scientific methodology and analysis have be used to bring this about and not the 'I know best mentality that appears to exist among alot of members of the council and the planners'.

I won't presuppose you will disagree, I wouldn't even "hazzard" a guess, it wouldn't be me. Anecdotally, thats your style:)

So now you think your opinion is "evidence". Yeah we get it Cork and Kilkennny good Waterford bad. Great analysis.You see what you want to see to substantiate something that is only real in your head. And tell me this how is a load of councillors from the country going to bring new ideas to the development and planning of the city?Apart from the fact that they have bankrupted their own county they will do the same to the city to look after their own back yard. But you seem to want to ignore this elephant in the room! From the county are you? Ye don't like Bertie! Enda Kenny are you? You prefer Cork despite half the city falling down.Corkman are you? You like McDonagh Junction. Kilkenny Man are you? I see you can use emoticons.That's great scientific methodology and analysis. You have consistently ignored or are ignorant of the Scientific analysis of the last sixty years which supports the thrust of what the council have been doing over the last 10 years and is practically common knowledge. Yet your idea of planning is opening up Broad St and Michael St to traffic again. Yeah that'll work.We may as well let cars drive through city square as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Report of the Waterford Local Government Committee has just been published: http://www.environ.ie/en/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,31307,en.pdf

This is the report by the committee to examine the feasibility of amalgamating the two Waterford councils.

Still waiting on an official announcement from Hogan on what exactly is happening with the other councils. Media reports now saying Galway councils won't be merged, despite this being recommended in the Local Government Efficiency Report I linked to earlier in this thread. The whole process is been driven under the guise of saving money, yet apparently there is no money to be saved by merging the Galway councils.

So now you think your opinion is "evidence". Yeah we get it Cork and Kilkennny good Waterford bad. Great analysis.You see what you want to see to substantiate something that is only real in your head. And tell me this how is a load of councillors from the country going to bring new ideas to the development and planning of the city?Apart from the fact that they have bankrupted their own county they will do the same to the city to look after their own back yard. But you seem to want to ignore this elephant in the room! From the county are you? Ye don't like Bertie! Enda Kenny are you? You prefer Cork despite half the city falling down.Corkman are you? You like McDonagh Junction. Kilkenny Man are you? I see you can use emoticons.That's great scientific methodology and analysis. You have consistently ignored or are ignorant of the Scientific analysis of the last sixty years which supports the thrust of what the council have been doing over the last 10 years and is practically common knowledge. Yet your idea of planning is opening up Broad St and Michael St to traffic again. Yeah that'll work.We may as well let cars drive through city square as well.

Hahaha ridiculous!
    Again your not a mind reader, I wouldn't randomly open up anywhere to anything.

Your not discussing this and your jumping to illogical conclusions.

Very funny though

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Here's the report. http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1016/puttingpeoplefirst.pdf

And a sentence that may be of interest

"Local government structures will reflect appropriate metropolitan areas in the cities. In the case of
    Limerick and Waterford an appropriate metropolitan district will be provided for in the context of the
    new municipal district arrangements and the civic status of the cities will be fully maintained in the
    context of the new municipal governance arrangements
    ."

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

padraig.od wrote: »
    civic status of the cities will be fully maintained in the
    context of the new municipal governance arrangements."

So we can pack away our pitchforks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Here's the reasons given why Galway councils aren't being merged:
    Of the other combinations of authorities for which the LGER proposed joint management arrangements, while amalgamation of authorities would, in principle, have the potential to achieve certain benefits of the type anticipated in the case of Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford, the case for merger is not as compelling. For example, the need to merge authorities in order to address significant social, economic and development issues or to remedy shortcomings associated with fragmentation in local government, as in Limerick and Waterford, does not arise in other areas.

In some cases a high degree of co-operation and joint service arrangements already exist, for example, between Galway City and County Councils, which were established in their current status as recently as 1985.

The ratio of staff to population in both of the Galway authorities is relatively low and there is no significant imbalance between the commercial rate levels. Amalgamation of the Galway authorities would result in a population of over 250,000, higher than any area outside of Cork and Dublin and significantly greater than any of the proposed new unified authorities. While areas adjacent to Galway City are closely linked to and influenced by the City and are likely to be subject to future development, significant “overspill” of suburban development and population beyond the city boundary has not yet occurred to the extent that has been experienced in Limerick and Waterford.
    Is there 250,000 in Galway? I thought the city was only 75,000? Wikipedia says the figure is 175,000 for County Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

here's an interesting extract

Since the proposed municipalities will replace the town councils, the areas will be
    designed, as far as possible, around the existing municipal towns while also taking
    particular account of large urban centres which do not currently enjoy municipal
    status. In a minority of cases, the inclusion of more than one town in a district is likely
    to be unavoidable. However, in all cases the district should incorporate the relevant
    hinterland of each town, subject to the constraints imposed by county boundaries
    close to towns28 e.g. New Ross located adjacent to the Kilkenny/Wexford boundary,
    Carrick-on-Suir adjacent to the boundary between Tipperary and Waterford, or
    Athlone on the Roscommon/Westmeath border. In cases such as these, suitable
    agency arrangements or service level agreements should be implemented to ensure
    that one authority has responsibility for all functions (including development plans)
    and services throughout the entire area of the town, notwithstanding county
    boundaries.
    (d)

and another one

Metropolitan areas
    7.3.4 The need to define a city or “metropolitan” area in the case of Limerick and Waterford, of
    much higher population and membership than typical municipal districts, has already been indicated.
    The need to recognise and define an appropriate metropolitan area is also clearly evident in the case
    of Cork, having regard to the very significant spill over of suburban development and population in the
    environs of Cork City located in the administrative area of Cork County Council and adjacent towns.
    For practical purposes, these areas of development form part of the de facto city, with obvious close
    linkage for a range of purposes – social, commercial, employment, transport and indeed, in terms of
    identity - with the urban centre that constitutes the administrative area of Cork City Council. More
    significantly perhaps, the fact that the administration of what is, in real terms, a largely continuous, or
    closely connected, urban area is divided between two entirely separate local authorities carries
    potential future risks, for example, with regard to development, spatial planning, and economic and
    social evolution, of the type which were identified in the reports of the local government committees in
    Limerick and Waterford. Such risks can be mitigated by close co-operation between the relevant
    authorities, which has been a feature of administration in Cork, but a more prudent long-term
    approach would be to bring the administrative configuration into line with the demographic and
    developmental reality.

7.3.5 In the case of Limerick and Waterford, the only feasible solution to administrative
    fragmentation was local authority amalgamation, due particularly to issues of scale and resources. In
    Cork, an alternative option would be available in the form of boundary adjustment to define an
    appropriate metropolitan area incorporating allowance for a suitable future development horizon
    . This
    is feasible in Cork because of the scale of the county in contrast with the position in Limerick and
    Waterford. Indeed, this would also have a secondary benefit of facilitating reduction in the significant
    representational imbalances that currently exist in Cork County and also configuration of more
    homogeneous municipal districts in the county. There would, accordingly, appear to be a good case in
    principle for considering a boundary alteration in Cork with a view to creating a wider Cork
    Metropolitan area. The initiative in this regard rests primarily with the local authorities.32 It is
    envisaged that if suitable arrangements are not finalised within a maximum of 5 years, the power of
    ministerial initiative in the matter would be invoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think Galway should be merged. Limerick is a bigger city, so why should Galway be given "special" treatment over and above the others? Is it soley the 250k population reason. Sounds very high, a lot/most of the county is very sparsely populated.

In Dublin's case there's 4 local authroities serving a city of over 1 million...is there no way some or all of these could be merged into one or two?
    As Cork is the second city and Cork county being pretty vast I'm not too bothered with their situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Did anyone hear the chap who was just on The Last Word with Matt Cooper on TodayFM? He was a rep from the Chambers Council of Ireland and said Waterford would be hardest to merge as the offices were so far apart in Waterford and Dungarvan and he couldn't understand why Galway wasn't being merged as the actual offices were virtually in the same neighborhood or something like that and that it would save more money, obviously I'm paraphrasing, but just said I'd add it to the discussion.

Maybe someone else could shed some light on who he was and what exactly he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Bards wrote: »
    here's an interesting extract

Metropolitan areas
    7.3.4 The need to define a city or “metropolitan” area in the case of Limerick and Waterford, of
    much higher population and membership than typical municipal districts, has already been indicated.
    The need to recognise and define an appropriate metropolitan area is also clearly evident in the case
    of Cork, having regard to the very significant spill over of suburban development and population in the
    environs of Cork City located in the administrative area of Cork County Council and adjacent towns.
    For practical purposes, these areas of development form part of the de facto city, with obvious close
    linkage for a range of purposes – social, commercial, employment, transport and indeed, in terms of
    identity - with the urban centre that constitutes the administrative area of Cork City Council. More
    significantly perhaps, the fact that the administration of what is, in real terms, a largely continuous, or
    closely connected, urban area is divided between two entirely separate local authorities carries
    potential future risks, for example, with regard to development, spatial planning, and economic and
    social evolution, of the type which were identified in the reports of the local government committees in
    Limerick and Waterford. Such risks can be mitigated by close co-operation between the relevant
    authorities, which has been a feature of administration in Cork, but a more prudent long-term
    approach would be to bring the administrative configuration into line with the demographic and
    developmental reality.

7.3.5 In the case of Limerick and Waterford, the only feasible solution to administrative
    fragmentation was local authority amalgamation, due particularly to issues of scale and resources. In
    Cork, an alternative option would be available in the form of boundary adjustment to define an
    appropriate metropolitan area incorporating allowance for a suitable future development horizon
    . This
    is feasible in Cork because of the scale of the county in contrast with the position in Limerick and
    Waterford. Indeed, this would also have a secondary benefit of facilitating reduction in the significant
    representational imbalances that currently exist in Cork County and also configuration of more
    homogeneous municipal districts in the county.

There would, accordingly, appear to be a good case in
    principle for considering a boundary alteration in Cork with a view to creating a wider Cork
    Metropolitan area.

The initiative in this regard rests primarily with the local authorities.

Right. So now we can demand a boundary alteration to incorporate all of Ferrybank, Newrath, Slieverue etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Fine Gael and Labour had better start making other employment plans for TDs because the people of Waterford won't re-elect all of them.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Demand away lads.. Have we not learned by now that this shower are as bad as the last. They'll give us nothing because we're the runt of the litter.

Where the hell are our TDs????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Trotter wrote: »
    Demand away lads.. Have we not learned by now that this shower are as bad as the last. They'll give us nothing because we're the runt of the litter.

The silence from our elected representatives is staggering. You get the sense they are not even aware of what's happening

Unless I am missing something but what exactly are people unhappy about? The merger or something else? The merger has been on the cards for a long time now and I thought people only had concerns in regards to;

1) Location of Administrative point,
    2) Loss of City Status,
    3) General fear of being a second class City.

Paudie Coffey (FG TD) release a statement some days ago about this already.

I haven't looked into the announcement today yet, but maybe someone can clarify for me as it wont be till later this evening before ill get a chance to see what the plan is for Waterford.

Trotter wrote: »

Better still.....where's Sully!:p:D

• Advertisement

7upfree wrote: »

Better still.....where's Sully!:p:D

I posted just before you ;)

Advertisement