Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese tattoo work ?

Options
  • 12-09-2012 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭

Good morning folks
    I plan on getting a full Japanese Sleeve, iv been doing some research but just wondering would anyone on here have any idea's on the best Artist's in Ireland or England for this kind of work, I want to get it done correctly so even if its a guy who'd have a big waiting list,.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

For Japanese, you can't beat Chris Crookes up in White Dragon in Belfast. Considered the best in the country, and if you have a look at his portfolio, it's not hard to see why.

Now, he just announced yesterday or the day before that they are fully booked through to 2014, which is a sign of how highly regarded he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

For Japanese, you can't beat Chris Crookes up in White Dragon in Belfast. Considered the best in the country, and if you have a look at his portfolio, it's not hard to see why.

Now, he just announced yesterday or the day before that they are fully booked through to 2014, which is a sign of how highly regarded he is.

+1 on Chris Crooks

Can't be beaten for Japanese work in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cat87

Agree 100 percent! My boyfriend got a full sleeve done with Chris Crooks in Belfast and he is in love with it, definitely one of the best Japanese tattooists in the world I'd say, it cost 2 or 3 grand and waiting list takes ages but it's going to be on you for ever so what's the rush and the price is worth it b/c he is an amazing artist!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

wairtining list till 2014 !!!:eek:
    Any other names even in england that may not have such a long waiting list ,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Joe Myler in JMD's in Waterford would be second to Chris in my opinion, but that's only in Ireland. I'm not too familiar with the UK artists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

As mentioned, Chris Crooks is excellent although I can confirm he's into 2014 with his waiting list. Another person that springs to mind is Ross Nagle - he's been posting the odd bit of japanese style from time to time, and while it's quite non-traditional I like it.

Another option would have been to book in with one of Chris Crooks' guest artists from East Tattoo in Taiwan. They've been coming over regularly for the past two years and have banged out plenty of sleeves and even a few backpieces in that time.

In the UK you've got an endless number of choices: Richard Pinch, Ian Flower, Stewart Robson, Alex Reinke and Mo Coppoletta, just off the top of my head. All worth considering. They're all likely to have waiting lists of at least a year, but to be honest that's par for the course if you want an established artist.

Stewart Robson has a twitter account where he posts up cancellations. I've seen full days come up quite regularly, so if you're on the ball that would be a way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I have the pleasure and pain of going to White Dragon tomorrow to get work done by the East Tattoo guys.

I have wanted japanese work done for a long time now and I am glad I have waited for this, so I would suggest you do the same, it will also give you time to get your budget up, because good japanese work is not cheap, nor should it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Ross Nagle in Allstar in Limerick does some awesome Japanese stuff too he's well worth a look. He has Matt Beckerich from Kings Avenue Tattoo in New York as a guest artist at the end of a month! he is one of top Japanese guys in NYC, 2 year wait to get appointment with him in the states!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Liamo Valentino

It's important to know whether you want a traditional sleeve or a nu school sleeve? Bold colours or black and white? Just go through as many portfolios as you can find so you get a solid idea of which styles you like. As far as opinions on "this guys the best" or whatever, don't let them make your mind up because everyone likes different styles so it's impossible for someone to be the best. It's like saying Leinster rugby team are better than Manchester United. It all depends on which style YOU want to have tattooed on your body for the rest of your existence. I got a traditional bold colour sleeve done in FatCat Tattoo in Sligo by an artist called Z. It's from my wrist to my elbow on my left arm. I will be getting it finished in the near future. I found him to be fantastic. Very friendly and his parlour is modern, spacious and comfortable. You feel like a client instead of a piece of meat on a conveyor belt which happens a lot if you go to some places in Dublin city centre. I use another guy in Bray when I want to get more traditional old school stuff like sugar skulls, gypsies, swallows, etc. Anyway, Z is well worth checking out, I'd highly recommend him. Horiyoshi III liked the pictures of my sleeve on his Instagram account which means he's definitely doing something right...

Here is a link to my sleeve on FatCat's Facebook page. Keep clicking right to see the rest of it :

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=408462195885241&set=pb.100001643927775.-2207520000.1351268895&type=3&theater

But having said all that, you mightn't like this style at all and thats totally cool. At least now you know you whether you like traditional style with bold colours or not. The most important thing to do is research, research, research and drop in to them if you can. Look at as many portfolio's as you can and find out exactly what style you want and then start emailing/phoning/dropping in to the parlours to discuss designs/fees.

It can be confusing with everyone offering so much advice but just digest it all and make the best choice you can.

Oh and if you get one sleeve done, that other arm is gonna look very bare. And then when that other arm is sleeved too, your chest is going to look like it could do with a lick of ink, etc.

Be prepared foe that ;)

Hope you find your perfect tattoo and best of luck with it

Liamo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

If your on facebook keep any eye on White Dragon Tattoos facebook page they have been getting a lot of cancellations this week with free spots opening up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

If your on facebook keep any eye on White Dragon Tattoos facebook page they have been getting a lot of cancellations this week with free spots opening up.

Usually you have to have already had a session with Chris before if you want to avail of a cancellation. You need some time to explain to him what you want and then he has to draw it up before you even get near the studio. Then there is the whole shaving and stenciling to go through. A short 3 or 4 hour session would get eaten up by this. That said, I did get my first session with him through a cancellation but I have seen recently he asks for previous customers only.
    If you can get in with him you wont regret it, his work is amazing and he is very quick. It is worth going to his studio just to see all of his stencils hanging on the walls, everyone is a masterpiece. I was in this day last week and he said he is booked till nearly 2015 now but I would get my name down, dont waste your time on a japanese piece from any other artist in this country. Chris will be one of the masters in a few years time, Philip Leu and Shige are both admirers of his work. You wont regret the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The guys from East Tattoo are over again soon, Chris holds them in very high regard as do a few others around Europe. I am booked in again with Ching for a chest piece.

If you act quick you will get a masterpiece from him if you book soon. He is as good as Chris, Chris himself even said when I was there getting my sleeve finished, that he would just like to sit and watch him work all day, that is serious praise.

Advertisement