Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camcorder Problem

Options
  • 12-09-2012 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I'm making short maths videos for my classes (I'm a teacher) with a regular camcorder on a tripod. Each video is typically 5 ish minutes long. The problem I'm having is that the picture goes out of focus (typically once or twice over a 5 min video) just for a second. It happens at different times in each video. The camera is set up on a tripod in my office and is pointed at a small whiteboard. The lighting isn't great in the room and I'm guessing that this may be a couse of the problem.

The camcorder is a Panasonic SDR-H85. It has done VERY little work and has never left my office.

This is a picture of the camera here:
    sdr_h85.jpg

Any ideas what could be causing the problem folks? Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The short answer that came straight to mind was indeed light, so I think you're right about that. Can you provide some more? Many autofocus systems rely on a decent light level to judge focus, and if it suspects it's lost focus, it will re-focus as you're seeing.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

bnt wrote: »
    The short answer that came straight to mind was indeed light, so I think you're right about that. Can you provide some more? Many autofocus systems rely on a decent light level to judge focus, and if it suspects it's lost focus, it will re-focus as you're seeing.

Thanks for that. I had a feeling it'd be a lighting issue. I'll have to see if I can do something about it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Never underestimate how poor indoor lighting is compared to daylight. We don't tend to notice it most of the time (as our eyes adjust) but daylight is far, far brighter than the lightbulbs in an average office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

TheBody wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I'm making short maths videos for my classes (I'm a teacher) with a regular camcorder on a tripod. Each video is typically 5 ish minutes long. The problem I'm having is that the picture goes out of focus (typically once or twice over a 5 min video) just for a second. It happens at different times in each video. The camera is set up on a tripod in my office and is pointed at a small whiteboard. The lighting isn't great in the room and I'm guessing that this may be a couse of the problem.

The camcorder is a Panasonic SDR-H85. It has done VERY little work and has never left my office.

This is a picture of the camera here:
    sdr_h85.jpg

Any ideas what could be causing the problem folks? Thanks in advance!!

Impossible to get pro results using autofocus, set the focus manually for much better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

marry324 wrote: »

Is this spam? I don't see how this has anything to do with my problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Break out the manual, let it autofocus then switch to manual focus so it stays at that setting. There may even be a lock settings switch you can use.

This can happen to even the most expensive cameras and I'd say the whiteboard isn't helping the autofocus either.

Advertisement