Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing Charge Low Usage

Options
  • 12-09-2012 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

I recently got a bill with an inflated estimated meter reading (200 units), which amounted to €54.00 approx.

I submitted the correct meter reading (71 units) and got a bill for €52.

Obviously this was puzzling, but it turns out the bulk of the new bill is based on standing charges

i.e. I have moved from a normal standing charge to a low usage standing charge, which it appears means I pay more for electricity (supply) because I use less.

My query: In another post response ESB refer to the price plans here https://www.electricireland.ie/switchchange/pricePlanElec.htm

However these price plans do not specify what the thresholds for standard usage and low usage standing charges are.

Please direct me to the area of the ESB's website that specifies what the thresholds for standard and low usage standing charges.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Deepriver,

Here is the info on our website re the low usage standing charge.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

And just one last question, is the standing charge rate applied per bill or averaged over a year?

Naturally if my yearly usage was over 2 units per day I will be entitled to a rebate on the low usage charges?

Does this billing method account for seasonal usage?

deepriver wrote: »
    And just one last question, is the standing charge rate applied per bill or averaged over a year?

Naturally if my yearly usage was over 2 units per day I will be entitled to a rebate on the low usage charges?

Does this billing method account for seasonal usage?
    Hi again Deepriver,

The low usage standing charge is applicable per bill, not reviewed on an annual basis. It does not make a difference what season the billing cycle is - the charge applies to usage of less than two units per day across the board.

Feel free to have it checked any time by contacting us/submitting an accurate reading if needs be.

Regards,
    Una

Hello Una,

Thank you for getting back to me. I only recently switched back from Bord Gais to Electricity Ireland and it seems now that was not in my best interest.

I have reviewed my bills and prior to making the switch my average bill was approx €34 per month with Bord Gais. Now it seems my average bill with EI will be approx €54 per month, regardless of energy consumption thanks to your low usage standing charges.

So many thanks for sending your sales guy to knock on my door with this 'no brainer' deal. And shame on me for signing up :)

I checked the small print of the contract and the sales guy did actually make me aware of the low usage standing charges and had me initial them. Perhaps EI's billing department realised this may become an area of contention when low usage groups such as OAPs, single person dwellings etc made the switch and experienced higher utility bills despite the promises of discounts?

Thank you for previously sending the link to me in regards low usage standing charges, just reading through the full FAQ I came across this

"We have set the daily threshold at a very low level (average two units or less per day per billing period) and are confident that only empty/vacant households and premises will attract this increased charge"

My household is not vacant and I do live there, but simply consume energy in a responsible and efficient manner.

Accordingly because this appears to be an oversight or anomaly in your billing strategy which has unfairly penalised me and increased my energy bills in return for low usage, can you please apply standard usage standing charges to my account?

I will DM you all billing information to enable you to do this if possible?

Hi Deepriver,

The low usage standing charge is applicable (unless in the case of customers who receive a Free Electricity Allowance/are on the Household Budget Plan/have Pay As You Go meters) when less than two units per day is used - and I cannot guarantee any reversal can be made in this regard. However, it is no problem for us to review individual cases - do indeed private message me with your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address as they appear on the account in full, as well as one other piece of information for data protection/security - either your date of birth or the contact telephone number on your account.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Hi Una,

I have just sent you my account details.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feichin

I'm sure Electric Ireland have themselves well covered somewhere deep in the small print but I was under the impression the standing charge was uniform across the board by all suppliers and was passed on directly to ESB Networks to cover network costs

Hi Feichin,

As per the low usage standing charge FAQ on our website:
    The charge is being introduced to enable Electric Ireland recover the costs associated with providing electricity to customers with very low consumption. These costs include a combination of the fixed charges associated with meter reading, network maintenance and a share of the supply costs incurred in servicing electricity accounts and are normally recovered through a combination of electricity units and standing charges. However, in situations where there is very low electricity usage as in the case of a vacant premises, these costs are not recovered fully. This charge will allow Electric Ireland to recover its costs in such circumstances.

Regards,
    Una

We have reviewed your account and, having clarified that it is not on a FEA Allowance/Household Budget plan/Pay-As-You-Go meter, unfortunately there are no grounds for removing the low usage standing charge.

Hi Una,

The grounds for removing the low usage standing charges are:

"We have set the daily threshold at a very low level (average two units or less per day per billing period) and are confident that only empty/vacant households and premises will attract this increased charge"

As I have already mentioned my household is not empty and I live there.

I have reviewed the Electricity Supply Terms And Conditions document (valid 1st October) given to me in the switching pack by the EI door to door sales person, and it does not actually communicate nor include nor make reference to the low usage standing charges. Indeed the sales person did not supply me with any tariff plan or information.

I also note these low usage standing charges are not set-out in the price plans section of EI's website which you so frequently refer to but are hidden in another section on another webpage with no readily available link from the price plan pages.

On the basis that:

a) My house is not vacant

b) The sales person did not supply me with tariff information in regards the low usage standing charges

Can you please:

A) Review my EI account again with a manager in order to apply the normal standing charges to my account

B) Failing that send me by direct message the contact details of that manager so that I can contact that person directly by email or post

I am currently reviewing the Ombudsman's website and I believe if EI do not comply with my requests above, my next step would be to make contact with them to see if they can assist with the matter.

Thank You.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi deepriver,

Una is currently looking into this for you and will be back to you shortly.
    deepriver wrote:
    I also note these low usage standing charges are not set-out in the price plans section of EI's website which you so frequently refer to but are hidden in another section on another webpage with no readily available link from the price plan pages.

While there isn't a direct link to the Low User Standing Charge FAQ, we do outline the charge in the tariff section of our price plan page(s):

StandingChargesScreenshot.jpg

Thanks,

David.

• Advertisement

deepriver wrote: »
    Hi Una,

The grounds for removing the low usage standing charges are:

As I have already mentioned my household is not empty and I live there.
    Hi Deepriver,

The above is just a guideline as to what we expect to be applicable in the vast majority of cases - that is not to say there would not be exceptions though; however, units used is the only criterion for this charge.
    The main reason we are confident of the majority of cases of the charge applying to empty/vacant premises is: the low usage standing charge threshold of less than two units per day is seven times less usage than that of the average residential household.
    b) The sales person did not supply me with tariff information in regards the low usage standing charges
    Just to clarify, Deepriver: a previous post of yours to this thread seems to indicate that the sales rep made you aware in this regard, however if we have misinterpreted, apologies.

With regard to the remainder of your query, I will respond to you by private message.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SIG

I have received bills from Electric Ireland with low usage charges. This is totally illegal. There is no contract to be robbed and its unenforcable at law.
    Even if you signed a contract since they started this practice, you must be made aware that you are about to sign to be robbed by this method. If you have not been so informed then you have been duped and are not oblidged to pay this charge. I have paid the real bill for goods/service provided ( deducting the illegal extortion attempt ) and heard nothing afterwards. I advise all to do the same NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

SIG wrote: »
    I have received bills from Electric Ireland with low usage charges. This is totally illegal. There is no contract to be robbed and its unenforcable at law.
    Even if you signed a contract since they started this practice, you must be made aware that you are about to sign to be robbed by this method. If you have not been so informed then you have been duped and are not oblidged to pay this charge. I have paid the real bill for goods/service provided ( deducting the illegal extortion attempt ) and heard nothing afterwards. I advise all to do the same NOW.
    Yes of course this is a total scam and just extortion and theft and its amazing that they are getting away with it.Imagine if a pub for example started charging drinkers who only have one or two drinks a "low usage charge" or a restaurant or any other business.As for it being to pay for meter readers..what meter readers?..I have not seen here for nearly a year.Its all just another way of getting your hard earned money into their pockets and giving you nothing for it.Total dishonesty..but whats new in Ireland :rolleyes:.

Lets publicise the facts and then people can react by not paying. I feel a legal challange coming on !. The cost of meter is dealth with in the usual standing charge. BTW I have over 100 meters, some of which were installed in the Sixties. Now have they been well paid for ?. Another matter is the veracity of the meters - do they ever have to be re-calibrated ? , like petrol pumps, weighing scales etc. Yet if you are cut off for more than 6 months by EI you have to be re-certified by an Electrician - another SCAM. BUT NOT THEIR METER.

Hi all,

Just to advise: the low usage standing charge was introduced on 1st February, 2012. Notification of the introduction and rationale was published in the national press on 30th December, 2012. Click here for further info.

Electric Ireland sent a bill insert with all paper bills, and an email to all online billers in February/March also.

Regards,
    Una

That EI published its rip off scheme does not make it legitimate. The charge is illegal - POINT BLANK. Why have EI not sued their customers that have refused to be robbed ? - Answer they dont have a leg to stand on. Get real EI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

SIG wrote:
    The charge is illegal - POINT BLANK

Not sure how it's illegal, but it's the most ridiculous charge I've ever come across. To my mind it gives out the message - be energy efficient, but not so energy efficient that we can't make a profit! (as we only care about being seen to be concerned about energy efficiency and the environment). Their fuel-mix doesn't really indicate they care much about the environment, and this charge certainly shows that they don't really care about energy efficiency.

Priori wrote: »
    Not sure how it's illegal, but it's the most ridiculous charge I've ever come across. To my mind it gives out the message - be energy efficient, but not so energy efficient that we can't make a profit! (as we only care about being seen to be concerned about energy efficiency and the environment). Their fuel-mix doesn't really indicate they care much about the environment, and this charge certainly shows that they don't really care about energy efficiency.
    Oh its not that they are not making a profit..its that they feel they are not making enough profit,in other words greed..the same type of greed that has already wrecked this economy beyond repair.And I cant understand how it can be legal to charge somebody for not using your product..its like something that Del-boy Trotter would come up with..maybe Electric Ireland's next name change should be to..Trotter Electric Services!!.

The charge is ILLEGAL if you did not CONTRACT to be penalised for non purchase of goods/services. If you did contract without being aware your consumer rights are still valid. I suggest those who have paid go to the Citizens advice Bureau or FLAC for advise. The last CEO is ESB / EI was paid about € 700 k per year . Now that tells whats going on - GREED - GREED ad nauseam.

Hi again,

In April 2011, Electric Ireland was deregulated, with the result that we may make changes to prices and charges on occasion. This is the case for service providers in general.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Well Una, Just because EI was deregulated does not mean it can charge for non preformance. Also there is the matter of VAT.
    You cannot be charged VAT where a service or good are not delivred - so vat is also not payable on a non est .......
    Your whole effort to charge for non delivrey is ILLEGAL. When people realise what is going on you will have to refund the monies
    extorted by fear & bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Oh look it's hardly illegal - if it is... call the ombudsman - it'd be interesting to see whether they could do anything about it. I'd imagine they couldn't. A large, legitimate company is not going to do something illegal and tell the world about it.
    I wholeheartedly disagree with the charge too but "It's ILLEGAL!!!" is total melodrama and gets thrown around far too cavalierly, and I wonder do those who just trot it out actually think about the implications of such a statement.

Madam_X wrote: »
    Oh look it's hardly illegal - if it is... call the ombudsman - it'd be interesting to see whether they could do anything about it. I'd imagine they couldn't. A large, legitimate company is not going to do something illegal.
    I wholeheartedly disagree with the charge too but "It's ILLEGAL!!!" is total melodrama and gets thrown around far too cavalierly, and I wonder do those who just trot it out actually think about the implications of such a statement.
    "a Large,legitimate company is not going to do something illegal" :D:D:D:D.Thanks I needed a good laugh.

I know people who are conspiracy theorists think they're well enlightened, but actually... things are usually as they seem. Prove this is illegal.

I know people who are conspiracy theorists think they're well enlightened, but actually... things are usually as they seem. Prove this is illegal.
    Well then you prove that its legal and base it on something other than a" large legitimate company would not do anything illegal"..yeah right like Anglo Irish bank and overcharging of customers by AIB and others etc etc never really happened and is only a conspiracy theory obviously :rolleyes:.

And they turned out to be non legit. Plus, their shenanigans were on the sly. They didn't go telling the press about it! :D Do you really think the ESB is along the same lines? If this was actually *illegal* there would be cause for uproar, yet ESB has communicated it to the public. Be realistic.

I fully agree with objecting to the charge, and I support a degree of scepticism when it comes to a lot of issues, but saying stuff that's not true just discredits points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

I think SIG might have a point about it not being entirely legal; at least in relation to the issue of charging VAT on a service not delivered. I'm no expert in matters legal, but have a look at this thread on Eircom to see what I'm talking about.

And they turned out to be non legit. Do you really think the ESB is along the same lines?
    Looks that way and so if it looks like a Duck and quacks like a Duck it probably is a Duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Priori wrote: »
    I think SIG might have a point about it not being entirely legal; at least in relation to the issue of charging VAT on a service not delivered. I'm no expert in matters legal, but have a look at this thread on Eircom to see what I'm talking about.

First off, thanks for the link to SIG's thread on Eircom. I found that particularly interesting since I've also been switched to the low usage charge for a cottage in Kerry.

One thing that annoyed me though (and maybe Una can help out here) was that we had some work carried out and used some electricity, so I submitted the reading when we got the last bill. The strange thing is that, instead of amending the bill, we were presented with an additional bill for the electricity used plus standing charges for another 14 days. This 14 days was the difference between the date of the first bill and the date I submitted the reading.

Surely it would have been far simpler to add the electricity used to the old bill and issue an amended bill, rather than "creating" an additional billing period of 14 days and adding the electricity used to that?

It's so confusing and I'll be watching out for the next bill because I'm concerned now that EI may try to charge me twice for the standing charge part of the bill.

• Advertisement

Hi Mollywolly,

If you are the named account-holder I can check this for you no problem - I just need the following details: the Electric Ireland account number, your name/address in full as they appear on the account, and either the contact telephone number on your account or your date of birth.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement