Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US ambassador killed in Libya

• 12-09-2012 11:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

So some Libyan militia group have killed the representative of the 'free world'.
    The US ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens, has died from smoke inhalation in an attack on the US consulate in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi, the country's interior ministry and security sources have said.
    An armed mob attacked and set fire to the building in a protest against an amateur film deemed offensive to Islam's Prophet Muhammad, after similar protests in Egypt's capital.
    AlJazeera -US envoy dies in Benghazi consulate attack
    So, what happens now? A US committee installed to prove that Libya has weapons of mass destruction to the UN, followed by an invasion, followed by seizing of Libya's oil & gas resources?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

They should have just left Alex Crawford in charge of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

On 9/11 too....................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭davetherave

Good morning Libya, my name is the stone age. You will be bombed back to me very shortly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

US to bomb Iraq in retaliation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The scéal is deeper.
    An Israeli film-maker made a film "he believed would help his native land by exposing Islam's flaws to the world", this was promoted and shown in US cinemas. It was translated into Arabic and deemed to be offensive to the prophet Mohammed which has resulted in protests, US embassy invasions and deaths...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

They oust one dickhead dictator and set themselves up for another, but this time an Islamic nut job.

Soon the whole middle east will be like Iran's theocracy...twats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Guess the americans backed the wrong horse over in gadaffistan, I wonder if the people who did this are still "insurgents" and rebels" or will they be downgraded "extremists" and "terrorists"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

Good morning Libya, my name is the stone age. You will be bombed back to me very shortly.

They are already there.

Doubt it will end in war.

This kind of thing really puts the lie to the whole "if we just left them alone, they wouldnt hate us" theory, which seems to be very popular even when groups specificaly lay out what they want before they will stop and the West completly leaving the Ummah is only one amoungst many many demands.

The line now for a violent protest, attempted bombing, attempted murders, deaths of hundreds and in this case the death of a represntative of a Western government is drawing a cartoon or making an animated show or film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Bambi wrote: »
    Guess the americans backed the wrong horse over in gadaffistan, I wonder if the people who did this are still "insurgents" and rebels" or will they be downgraded "extremists" and "terrorists"

Honorary members of the axis of evil.

Bambi wrote: »

Isnt that the fact.

Many of the people in those hardcore groups were probably the ones directly threatened by Gadaffi's intended massacre of Benghazi.

The colossal self righteousness and self pity in the region and particularly amoungst those people obviously precludes them from at least showing respect, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Proof again that the fairytale of the "Arab spring" fed by the Western media has nothing to do with reality. These groups seem to have mistaken freedom for freedom to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

There goes the neighbourhood...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

snubbleste wrote: »
    The scéal is deeper.
    An Israeli film-maker made a film "he believed would help his native land by exposing Islam's flaws to the world", this was promoted and shown in US cinemas. It was translated into Arabic and deemed to be offensive to the prophet Mohammed which has resulted in protests, US embassy invasions and deaths...

Correction: According to the guy who made it, it was shown once to a mostly empty theater. Nobody in the US has ever heard of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

The movie in question:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Destroying an Embassy and killing the Ambassador is technically an act of war.

Standing by to hear from the beards why this is actually America's fault because a few dicks made a film about Mohammed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Heartfelt tribute to one of the embassy staff that was killed. http://themittani.com/news/rip-vile-rat (Will make absolutely zero sense if you've never heard of EVE online)
    Article wrote:
    (12:54:09 PM) vile_rat: assuming we don't die tonight. We saw one of our 'police' that guard the compound taking pictures

A little pissed off the US statement gave so much over to condemming the film. Its not the governments business what that guy does with his right of free speech, no matter how stupid, insulting or distatseful it is. These backwards ass followers of a silly desert superstition should and do hold all the fault in this situation. Some poor guy torn apart by a mob because of a film made on the other side of the world made by a complete stranger, only religion. Or, more accuratly, a particular religion for the last few decades.

Just yesterday I thought they had hit a new low when they pulled down a flag at half mast and raised their own on the anniversery of an attack carried out by a group in the name of their faith. Chanting pro-al Qaeda slogans was just the cherry on top of this particular **** pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Bloody organised religion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

MagicSean wrote: »
    Bloody organised religion

It doesn't seem to be very organised in that neck of the woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

My previous post vanished,anywho i dont believe jack didley on what America report on from within these countries.We will use Muhammad as an excuse for this... is how i see it.The amount of corruption in the media to aid the us foreign policy is rife.

• Advertisement

drdeadlift wrote: »
    My previous post vanished,anywho i dont believe jack didley on what America report on from within these countries.We will use Muhammad as an excuse for this... is how i see it.The amount of corruption in the media to aid the us foreign policy is rife.

Wait 'America' has reporters now?

Do you think that maybe, and I know this is a long shot, but that instead of hundreds of media organisations around the world being controlled by the US government that maybe, just maybe, they are all reporting at least generally correctly and that US policy is then tailored to the reality of the situation? Just a crazy thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭brimal

A protest in the Arab world turning violent? Who would have thought...

Religion of Peace.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

brimal wrote: »
    Religion of Peace.......

In god we trust..God bless America.

In god we trust..God bless America.

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

brimal wrote: »

Religion of Peace.......

Protests the world over often turn violent - Muslim, Christian, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, or any other religion.

And the so-called "Arab world" is quite diverse, you know.

old hippy wrote: »
    Protests the world over often turn violent - Muslim, Christian, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, or any other religion.

You can name a religion who's protests turn as consistently violent as Islam's?

Not diverse enough when it comes to things like this - see cartoon killings.

If, say for example. Jewish people went on a rampage every time something insulting to them was created, in the Arab world or elsewhere we would be living in a near constant bloodbath. But they don't - their community has clearly chosen to deal with propoganda in a different way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

US to bomb Iraq in retaliation.

Nah, the dopes will somehow blame Syria AND Iran....but will probably bomb Venezuela.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

Yeah, I'm sick and tired of buddists, hindus, christians all going crazy.....wait.

They kill people because of a movie that none of them probably saw. **** these idiots. I'm not pro American at all but I'm tired of having to tippy toe around Islam. We should call it what is it. A dumb religion that is very dangerous to our freedom.

I'm not into religion at all but at least we are tolerant. Its more of these dumb Arabs. Bosnia is a good example of what a decent muslim country could be, if there is such a thing.

How come we can take the mickey out of Jesus and not Mohammed? These guys treat their women like **** and then have the cheek to tell us we're doing it wrong.....As bad as all religion is, if we could only get rid of one it would have to be Islam....what a nicer place it would be then.

SamHarris wrote: »
    You can name a religion who's protests turn as consistently violent as Islam's?

Not diverse enough when it comes to things like this - see cartoon killings.

If, say for example. Jewish people went on a rampage every time something insulting to them was created, in the Arab world or elsewhere we would be living in a near constant bloodbath. But they don't - their community has clearly chosen to deal with propoganda in a different way.

People insult Muslims in the "west" on a daily basis by implying they are an homogenous bloodthirsty mass. Yet we're not waking up everyday to a bloodbath here, are we?

There's always nutters and extremists who grab all the headlines. And there's always those eager to tar a billion people around the globe with the same brush.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Colmustard wrote: »
    They oust one dickhead dictator and set themselves up for another, but this time an Islamic nut job.

Soon the whole middle east will be like Iran's theocracy...twats

/facepalm

The Libyans didn't oust Ghadaffi, FFS, NATO did. And they're just as happy to install a corrupt lunatic stooge in his place (like Mubarak, or Pahlavi, or Saddam, or any one of the ME monarchs) as long as that stooge buys US guns to train on his own people and allows Western oil companies free reign of Libya's fields. Can you get your head around that? It isn't rocket science.

Yeah, I'm sick and tired of buddists, hindus, christians all going crazy.....wait.

The kill people because of a movie that none of them probably saw. **** these idiots. I'm not pro American at all but I'm tired of having to tippy toe around Islam. We should call it what is it. A dumb religion that is very dangerous to our freedom.

I'm not into religion at all but at least we are tolerant. Its more these dumb Arabs. Bosnia is a good example of what a decent muslim country could be, if there is such a thing.

How come we can take the mickey out of Jesus and not Mohammed? These guys treat their women like **** and then have the cheek to tell us we're doing it wrong.....As bad as all religion is, if we could only get rid of one it would have to be Islam....what a nicer place it would be then.

Bosnia which saw the massacre of thousands of innocent Muslims?

Which guys in particular treat their women like ****? Do you actually know any Muslims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm not into religion at all but at least we are tolerant.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that the Catholic Church is tolerant?

We're talking about a religious organisation that believes that homosexuality is wrong, that abortion is immoral, that contraception is immoral and which doesn't allow women to join the ranks of the hierarchy.

Tolerant? My arse.

/facepalm

The Libyans didn't oust Ghadaffi, FFS, NATO did. And they're just as happy to install a corrupt lunatic stooge in his place (like Mubarak, or Pahlavi, or Saddam, or any one of the ME monarchs) as long as that stooge buys US guns to train on his own people and allows Western oil companies free reign of Libya's fields. Can you get your head around that? It isn't rocket science.

Correct, it was all about selling oil with a gold dinar....Saddam sold oil in Euros...if you don't sell oil in a currency the US can print from thin air...you will be in trouble.

That doesn't really have anything to do with how we have to be nice to muslims and tolerate them though. I don't believe in God but Christians can accept this....muslims judge and really the thing is....they trully treat women like dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So some Libyan militia group have killed the representative of the 'free world'.

So, what happens now? A US committee installed to prove that Libya has weapons of mass destruction to the UN, followed by an invasion, followed by seizing of Libya's oil & gas resources?

Let me guess you don't like America. :rolleyes:

I am also guessing you are Irish or at least someone from the western world.
    I wonder how long you would last if you appeared in front of that mob ?
    Care to take a bet on that ?

And like the ones killed by that mob you would have absolutely fook all to do with the film that these gobsh**es are complaining about.

I am not allowed discuss …

Bosnia which saw the massacre of thousands of innocent Muslims?

Which guys in particular treat their women like ****? Do you actually know any Muslims?

Yes I do know muslims. The only one I respect is a friend that is from Saudi that hates Islam and all relgions....he admits it is terrible that the women do nothing there....they have so much money but all they do is shop. The foreign nanny brings up the child while the mother is driven to the shops in the burka...total crap.

Bosnia might have saw massacre but the people that live there are good people....what is your point? I dont think Bosnians will kill because of a cartoon...mad arabs will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

That doesn't really have anything to do with how we have to be nice to muslims and tolerate them though. I don't believe in God but Christians can accept this....muslims judge and really the thing is....they trully treat women like dirt.

So your answer to intolerance is...........................intolerance.

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

once again, religion of peace.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that the Catholic Church is tolerant?

We're talking about a religious organisation that believes that homosexuality is wrong, that abortion is immoral, that contraception is immoral and which doesn't allow women to join the ranks of the hierarchy.

Tolerant? My arse.

When is the last time Catholics protested and killed like this? I mean it must have been centuries ago...

No religion is tolerant...it's all violent but I have not seen any religion inspire it's followers to kill like Islam.

Maybe Christians did a long time ago but then again we have moved on in "Christian" countries and most of us dont really follow all this stuff, even people that say they are Catholic dont really follow it ...Arabs on the other hand are backward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Here we go...

When is the last time Catholics protested and killed like this? I mean it must have been centuries ago...

No religion is tolerant...it's all violent but I have not seen any religion inspire it's followers to kill like Islam.

Maybe Christians did a long time ago but then again we have moved on...Arabs are backward.

Eh, ever heard of a wee place called Northern Ireland?

• Advertisement

mise_me_fein3, I would imagine there would be relatively few muslims who would behave like this. Take for example the funeral of Alan Ryan over here. Just because a few morons turn out, it doesn't mean they have the support of the country or religion or anything near the sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

RGM wrote: »
    Correction: According to the guy who made it, it was shown once to a mostly empty theater. Nobody in the US has ever heard of it.

Yep. First time I heard about it was in response to these riots. Americans are denouncing this movie because we understand that its purpose was to mock and incite a religion. Surprisingly, its only acceptable to mock Christianity in the US because of the minority status of the other religions.

Gee Bag wrote: »
    So your answer to intolerance is...........................intolerance.

The mind boggles.

They are insulted by cartoons. I am insulted by their actions. They insult western freedom of expression.

Islam is the elephant in the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

They kill people because of a movie that none of them probably saw. **** these idiots. I'm not pro American at all but I'm tired of having to tippy toe around Islam. We should call it what is it. A dumb religion that is very dangerous to our freedom.

I'm not into religion at all but at least we are tolerant. Its more of these dumb Arabs. Bosnia is a good example of what a decent muslim country could be, if there is such a thing.

The bits in bold. Slating any religion on the basis of dumb acts by some of its followers is bigoted. Following that wonderfully ignorant statement with, 'more of these dumb Arabs', well, what can I say, you just topped yourself. Kudos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The scéal is deeper.

He definetly succeeded in that.

People insult Muslims in the "west" on a daily basis by implying they are an homogenous bloodthirsty mass. Yet we're not waking up everyday to a bloodbath here, are we?

There's always nutters and extremists who grab all the headlines. And there's always those eager to tar a billion people around the globe with the same brush.

I can only imagine how hard done by people feel when their creed is judged by the societies it produces time and time again. Oh the humanity!

According to polling data its a large minority that we would probably classify as "bloodthirsty" but then if that constitutes a "mass" is up to you.

Wow, so now we are lowering the bar to mere comments made by people? I meant real media, books, movies etc . If you know anything about Arab socieites know its extreme anti Semitism, which reaches incredible levels in places like Yemen.

If people cant be judged by the groups they chose to associate with, the beliefs they profess and the shape of the societies that base themselves on those beliefs, what can they be judged on?

Everyone knows its not all 1 billion Muslims that are baying for blood every time somebody steps out of line in their estimation. Most people also know given recent history there is more than enough who are doing just that.

Eh, ever heard of a wee place called Northern Ireland?

Really? It was because of the religion?

Really? They were angry because of insults to the religion? Surely it was the issue of Irish and British...I mean that would mean we had no issue with Britain before Protestants existed but then...hmmm.

Religion splits the communities, it is not the reason in the north....there is no religion in the basque country but they have a similar issue.

all religion insults genuine intelligence....to say science is not correct versus religion insults me, but I won't kill a Saudi official.

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    The bits in bold. Slating any religion on the basis of dumb acts by some of its followers is bigoted. Following that wonderfully ignorant statement with, 'more of these dumb Arabs', well, what can I say, you just topped yourself. Kudos.

A religion is a set of beliefs - of course it can be 'dumb' or 'more dumb' than another.

In the case of race, your right, it has no baring on intelligence or actions.

They are insulted by cartoons. I am insulted by their actions. They insult western freedom of expression.

Islam is the elephant in the room.

Well done on avoiding the very basic point about 'christians' killing each other in Ireland because of religion. The conflict ion the north is primarily based around religous difference.

Some Muslims are dicks, some Jews are dicks, some Christians are dicks.

Labelling 22-25% of the planets population as being of one mind is idiotic.

Well done on avoiding the very basic point about 'christians' killing each other in Ireland because of religion. The conflict ion the north is primarily based around religous difference.

Some Muslims are dicks, some Jews are dicks, some Christians are dicks.

Labelling 22-25% of the planets population as being of one mind is idiotic.

Im not disagreeing with you but there is a big difference between a Christian that kills and someone who kills in the name of Christianity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement