Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US ambassador killed in Libya

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Just wondering what's happening in Syria right now.
    Has that Nato-backed effort to overthrow the Assad government gone so badly that it's best to now deflect to Egypt and Libya once more and horrify people with rumours of rape?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

You're not too bright are you.
    A diplomatic enclave is just that so long as both governments agree. These fanciful and moronic notions that you have about an embassy or consulate being "a piece of US soil" in another land are laughable.
    An embassy and it's personnel are protected by international, none stronger than the GOVERNMENTS of host and guest.
    A mob attacked the US Embassy ... NOT troops of the host nation. So please stop talking sh!t.
    Having said that, if diplomatic staff were so in danger then why (as in the past) was not the embassy evacuated? Why didn't the US request of the hosting government protection to remove vulnerable staff rather than send in soldiers to "defend" them?

I agree with that. The US should just pull all staff from Embassies there and cut off diplomatic ties. If the governments in question are unable or unwilling to provide the security required, they should just not have dealings with them. If I was a representative for governments in Europe or America I would issue travel warnings for Egypt and Tunisia as they are popular tourist destinations, I would think people could be at risk as tensions are flared as it's not just the Americans that have been targeted.

The actions of the American government seem suspect to me at least. I don't think they created the video. They also don't support it since they've betrayed the foundation of the country by asking YouTube to reconsider the clip and Obama insinuating that maybe protecting the Freedom of speech in this case gave reason for thought and wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Its time for the west to unite for a nuclear crusade against the sand people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

old hippy wrote: »
    Your comments just show the abundance of ignorance you have to share with us. Would you say that to your Muslim friends, neighbours co-workers?

I have said that to them already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

The ****e has hit the fan in Sydney Aust.

http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=795246

Soon it will be muslims v the rest of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

old_aussie wrote: »

I doubt it. Hopefully you say nothing to them, as its your kind of attitude thats as much part of the problem as the bigots on the other side.

The Aussies gassed the protesters, good for them.

The crowd was chanting and carrying signs such as ' behead all those who insult the prophet' Shower of bastards.

These people would be funny if they were not so scary.

How can they claim to be a peaceful bunch when asking for beheadings for people who insult their God?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

http://imgur.com/a/tlCyI

A savage few were responsible. The Libyan people knew the ambassador to be a good and thoughtful man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I think Libyan TV should put on the Life of Brian and burn some bibles, that would teach us to respect Islam.

The loon shouldn't have made the film, but they shouldn't get upset over it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Here's the simple resolution: If we don't blame an entire country or religion for the death of our ambassador, then they should not blame my entire country for a badly made offensive movie.

Tangent: C'mon... Hollywood makes kickass blockbusters that hit theaters around the world and this obscure piece of crap is uploaded onto youtube and gets their attention? Now that seems suspect.

Jake1 wrote: »
    How can they claim to be a peaceful bunch when asking for beheadings for people who insult their God?
    Idiots and terrorists they are, this is really getting out of hand now. They can go round and do and say what they like, and yet we have to pissy foot round them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Sydney - Angry mob of them

London - Spouting nonsense of Sharia Law and that they'll defeat the Crusades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Who the fcuk do they think they are?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

hellboy99 wrote: »
    They can go round and do and say what they like, and yet we have to pissy foot round them!

"Good moaning, I am looking for the whereabouts of the Madonna with the big boobies"

• Registered Users Posts: 42 SK101

So how long until this becomes yesterday's news? The Muslim community would want to get a grip! I mean holding an entire country responsible for the actions of a few individuals come on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

Interesting how few protests there are when al Qaeda releases videos calling on Muslims to kill Americans where ever they find them.

I think military personal defending embassies is pretty standard. It might look different from under the brim of a tinfoil hat though....

Didn't take long for the ad hominem attacks to surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Ok did someone put a smoke detector in a microwave and the resultant 'radiation' somehow make South Park become reality ???

Decent article that answers most of my questions, I guess:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article32434.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Who the fcuk do they think they are?:mad:

Imagine if a group of Christians carried on like these Muslim "protesters" in a place like Saudi Arabia, they'd swiftly find themselves on the wrong end of a beheading. If they have a problem with Western culture and values then why don't they go and live in an Islamic country??
    Colmustard wrote: »
    The loon shouldn't have made the film, but they shouldn't get upset over it either.

Why should these lunatics dictate what does or does not constitute free speech? BTW I think this film is appallingly bad but I would also defend the right to make it.

• Advertisement

I just read that the police in Los Angeles Ca, brought a man believed to be the Director in for questioning.

I havent seen the movie, so I was wondering was their anything illegal in the movie that would have made the police bring him in. Otherwise, why would they?? on what basis??

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/09/anti-muslim-film-nakoula-basseley-innocence-muslims.html

I remember there was some grumbling about the Movies 'The Last temptation of Christ' and also Passion of the Christ, yet I dont recall the Directors being brought in for questioning

I just read that the police in Los Angeles Ca, brought a man believed to be the Director in for questioning.

I havent seen the movie, so I was wondering was their anything illegal in the movie that would have made the police bring him in. Otherwise, why would they?? on what basis??

If you read the article you posted, it would help.

Nodin wrote: »
    If you read the article you posted, it would help.

Did read it, still didnt explain why he was chosen out of all directors who make anti religious movies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

old_aussie wrote: »

No, you didn't. You wouldn't dare.

Like most bigots you use weasel words and promote hatred. Much like the extremists you despise, come to think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Did read it, still didnt explain why he was chosen out of all directors who make anti religious movies.
    On Friday, U.S. courts spokeswoman Karen Redmond said the Office of Probation in the Central District of California was reviewing whether Nakoula, who has been convicted on bank fraud charges, violated terms of his probation in relation to the video and its uploading onto the Internet.
    No doubt some nefarious PC Brigade related conspiracy.

Did read it, .......

No, I don't think you did. Scanned it. Browsed it. Skimmed it. But read it? No.

No, I don't think you did. Scanned it. Browsed it. Skimmed it. But read it? No.

Did read it, said they were REVIEWING, not pulling him in.

...them liberals won't be happy till we're all gay married and burkhad.

Maybe thats your take on it, its certainly not mine.

Maybe thats your take on it, its certainly not mine.
    Or maybe it's irony, who knows.

• Advertisement

Did read it, said they were REVIEWING, not pulling him in.

Your original question......

from the article you didn't read
    On Friday, U.S. courts spokeswoman Karen Redmond said the Office of Probation in the Central District of California was reviewing whether Nakoula, who has been convicted on bank fraud charges, violated terms of his probation in relation to the video and its uploading onto the Internet.
    He had been ordered not to own or use devices with access to the Internet without approval from his probation officer -– and any approved computers were to be used for work only. "Defendant shall not access a computer for any other purpose," the terms read.
    Restrictions were also placed on him enlisting others to get on the Internet for him.

...them liberals won't be happy till we're all gay married and burkhad.

what Liberals, who are you talking about?? and whats 'Burkhad? ' Were you refering to the wearing of Burqa's

I just watched the 'trailer' - he should be arrested for the sub-Ed Wood production values.

Your original question......

from the article you didn't read

So maybe he didnt actually upload it, maybe he had someone else do it.

Ah never mind, some days I could be arsed, today is not that day.

Ok saw the bit you refered too.

what Liberals, who are you talking about?? and whats 'Burkhad? ' Were you refering to the wearing of Burqa's
    I think he is, Nodin is wise to ways of the PC Brigade and how they operate.

So maybe he didnt actually upload it, maybe he had someone else do it.

Ah never mind, some days I could be arsed, today is not that day.

Ok saw the bit you refered too.

See, now you've actually read the thing. Well done you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

SamHarris wrote: »
    Interesting how few protests there are when al Qaeda releases videos calling on Muslims to kill Americans where ever they find them.

Why? I don't go out and protest when some Irish extremists kill in the name of their country - they don't represent me or who I am.

It as you say, effendi.

Ah ok, fair enough so :)

Luckily Im not part of that brigade ;)

• Advertisement

See, now you've actually read the thing. Well done you.

I bow down to your superiority

Could it also be possible that this guy was taken in for his own safety. Id say there is a big price on his head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

http://imgur.com/a/tlCyI

A savage few were responsible. The Libyan people knew the ambassador to be a good and thoughtful man.

Quite refreshing to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You're not too bright are you.
    Quite hypocritical, non?

You're not very good at arguing your point. Like most conspiracy theorists, anyone who disagrees with you "isn't too bright".
    A diplomatic enclave is just that so long as both governments agree. These fanciful and moronic notions that you have about an embassy or consulate being "a piece of US soil" in another land are laughable.
    These "fanciful and moronic notions" are nothing more than a strawman you invented on the spot to try and make it appear that you're in a strong position.

I love how you used quote marks on "a piece of US soil" as if I actually said that when I didn't even say or imply anything remotely similar.
    An embassy and it's personnel are protected by international, none stronger than the GOVERNMENTS of host and guest.
    A mob attacked the US Embassy ... NOT troops of the host nation. So please stop talking sh!t.
    What on Earth are you talking? :confused: None of what you just said has anything whatsoever to do with what I said.

We're all aware a mob attacked the US embassy and not the state military. That has nothing to do with my saying that it's perfectly normal and not indicative of some kind of incremental occupation if they send in marines to protect their diplomats.

As for talking sh1t, 99% of your reply thus far has had nothing whatsoever to do with what I said.
    Having said that, if diplomatic staff were so in danger then why (as in the past) was not the embassy evacuated? Why didn't the US request of the hosting government protection to remove vulnerable staff rather than send in soldiers to "defend" them?
    A show of strength by Obama to show his electorate that he's not weak and will defend his nation's diplomats.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Imagine if a group of Christians carried on like these Muslim "protesters" in a place like Saudi Arabia, they'd swiftly find themselves on the wrong end of a beheading. If they have a problem with Western culture and values then why don't they go and live in an Islamic country??

Why should these lunatics dictate what does or does not constitute free speech? BTW I think this film is appallingly bad but I would also defend the right to make it.

But the guy who made this movie was an extremist Copt who posed as an Israeli Jew in order to become part of an extremist evangelical cell in the US....he then made this movie to stoke up hatred for the years, nay decades, of persecution that was delivered upon Egyptian Copts (and sanctioned by Washington and other champions of "rights")

Are any of you aware of that??

Oh DEAR!!!

The plot thickens.

So everyone screeches about Muslims being offended, yet the rioting is long in the coming and now this:

hahahahaha

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/revealed-inside-story-of-us-envoys-assassination-8135797.html

Don't get me wrong, I like living where I am free to drink Coke or Pepsi (even though I hate both) but this is laughable.

• Advertisement

But the guy who made this movie was an extremist Copt who posed as an Israeli Jew in order to become part of an extremist evangelical cell in the US....he then made this movie to stoke up hatred for the years, nay decades, of persecution that was delivered upon Egyptian Copts (and sanctioned by Washington and other champions of "rights")

Are any of you aware of that??

Proof? Pretty much anything you have posted here has been unfounded garbage. We're meant to be cynical and not trust the US propaganda etc. but you seem willing to trust certain articles that list senior advisors, someone in the cabinet and that kind of BS as sources. If they don't name a source it's likely that they couldn't confirm the information and it's pretty likely to be total crap

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Proof? Pretty much anything you have posted here has been unfounded garbage. We're meant to be cynical and not trust the US propaganda etc. but you seem willing to trust certain articles that list senior advisors, someone in the cabinet and that kind of BS as sources. If they don't name a source it's likely that they couldn't confirm the information and it's pretty likely to be total crap

Well now, my recommendation is that you have a very simple lookup (a child could do it) of Nakoula Basseley Nakoula.....also known as Sam Bacile. Come back when you've done some thinking, researching even.

Well now, my recommendation is that you have a very simple lookup (a child could do it) of Nakoula Basseley Nakoula.....also known as Sam Bacile. Come back when you've done some thinking, researching even.

I actually wasn't talking about that post of yours. You didn't post a link in that one. More about the articles you've posted. I saw that post about him being an Eygption Copt. Not sure why that would matter. If it's about the video it doesn't matter what the person background is. It's still just a video and the reaction has been ridiculous

And you know something......people screech and sqwuak about "them".

Stop fcuking with them and then you'll stop dying. It's quite simple.

It's laughable watching these Washington clowns try to use "uhhhmm" new methods "uuuhhhhmm" to "uuhhmm" pacify and democratize "uuuhhhhmmmmm" the world....."uuuhhhhhmmmm" FCUK YEAH!

And you know something......people screech and sqwuak about "them".

Stop fcuking with them and then you'll stop dying. It's quite simple.

It's laughable watching these Washington clowns try to use "uhhhmm" new methods "uuuhhhhmm" to "uuhhmm" pacify and democratize "uuuhhhhmmmmm" the world....."uuuhhhhhmmmm" FCUK YEAH!

Who's they? The guys that released the video had nothing to do with the people that were killed! Are you suggesting they deserved to die because some guys that live in America released a demeaning video about Islam!?

• Advertisement
Advertisement