Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Times

Options
  • 12-09-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

What distance do people from this forum commute on a daily basis?
    And how long do they spend from home to workplace and back home in their cars, buses, trains, etc...

Just curious about this... Mine is a heartbreaking 76 miles roundtrip and usually involves 2 to 2hrs10mins travel time per day (if I'm lucky!) :(

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

From Dundalk to work is 30 minutes each way on the button. Used to be 1 hour to and from Cavan this time last year.

The missus commute is just over an hour on Matthews coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Generally 50 minutes there and 60 back (heavier foot in the morning) and 106 miles on the nose and I fecking well love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Drogheda-Tallaght-Drogheda every day. Petrol is a killer... I don't mind the drive, to be honest. Maybe i should swap my car for a hybrid!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Drogheda-Tallaght-Drogheda every day. Petrol is a killer... I don't mind the drive, to be honest. Maybe i should swap my car for a hybrid!

do you use the M50 toll everyday? that must add up...!

MugMugs wrote: »
    Generally 50 minutes there and 60 back (heavier foot in the morning) and 106 miles on the nose and I fecking well love it.
    106 a day?! now I don't fell so bad... :pac:

• Advertisement

kormak wrote: »
    106 a day?! now I don't fell so bad... :pac:

My only real issue tbh is the cost of Diesel as my commute isn't covered by work as it's not associated with work. To be fair, you get very used to it very quickly. I just stock the iPod up with some new music every month and have started listening to Verbal books too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

Yeah, one of the reasons I gave up a contract in South Dublin earlier this year was the combined expense of petrol and M50 toll. Spending over 500 EUR per month just to get to work is taking the piss....

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

I do but i have the tag which eases the pain slightly. I also avoid the M1 toll and Lissenhall traffic jams by going via Duleek/Ashbourne.

My only real issue tbh is the cost of Diesel as my commute isn't covered by work as it's not associated with work. To be fair, you get very used to it very quickly. I just stock the iPod up with some new music every month and have started listening to Verbal books too.

ah I no you get used to it.. I've been doing it now for nearly 6 years!!
    it does start to wreck the head sometimes though.
    New music, last.fm streaming, Matt Cooper, Newstalk, even LMFM breakfast show for ****s n giggles is how I fil my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Kormak,

I commute 60 miles each day, and during school term that can take between 2.5 and 3 hrs per day (so I don't travel as far as you but it takes longer!). In the summer, it can be under 2 hrs.

Hope that didn't sound too competitive - I didn't mean it to!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Drogheda-clondalkin-Drogheda. Takes about 50 min to an hour. Petrol is a killer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Northside of Drogheda to Southside of Drogheda. 12 minutes going the long way or 6 minutes if I go through the toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

That's pretty good time for the distance you are doing, is it all motorway? +1 to audio books and podcasts too. Well narrated audio books can be brilliantly engaging and captivating.
    gipi wrote: »
    I commute 60 miles each day, and during school term that can take between 2.5 and 3 hrs per day (so I don't travel as far as you but it takes longer!). In the summer, it can be under 2 hrs.

Is that an 1.5 hours each way on the motorbike? My fingertips are burning just imagining that.

I used to be regular Drogheda-Connolly-Drogheda train commuter from 2005 to 2010. And it used to take me 1h30m each way, door to door. I switched to motorbike, and now the same commute takes me about 45-50 mins each way. A lot more expensive than the train considering fuel, gear, maintenance, insurance etc etc - it quickly adds up, and more risks etc too. But on the plus side, I can go and come when it suits me, "free" parking right outside office building, and of course an hour saved per day etc etc.

My ideal work commute would be 20 mins / few miles on a pedal/road bike, but unfortunately nothing like that around Drogheda for me (with my current skillset.. err or the lack of other skillsets... ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

No, Positron, I'm still commuting on 4 wheels at the moment! Journey into Dublin can take anything from 70-90 mins (occasionally worse), and coming home is 60-80 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Drogheda - Airport - Drogheda. Around 50 miles a day and 35-40 minutes each way. Used to take 1.5+ hours before the M1.

Northside of Drogheda to Southside of Drogheda. 12 minutes going the long way or 6 minutes if I go through the toll.

Errrghhh!!! *shakes fist* :)

Dingatron wrote: »
    Drogheda - Airport - Drogheda. Around 50 miles a day and 35-40 minutes each way. Used to take 1.5+ hours before the M1.

That would suit me just fine... ps might even be quicker when the new 3-lane M1 superhighway is completed!!

positron wrote: »

That's pretty good time for the distance you are doing, is it all motorway? +1 to audio books and podcasts too. Well narrated audio books can be brilliantly engaging and captivating.

Sort of. M1 to drogheda, Duleek road to Kilmoon N2 M2 M50 there and then back M50 M2 N2 to dunleer and onto M1 .

It of course doesn't help that Irish drivers sit in the overtaking lane without actually overtaking. Undertaking is a no-no in Britain; here it's a necessity.

Pauvre Con wrote: »
    It of course doesn't help that Irish drivers sit in the overtaking lane without actually overtaking. Undertaking is a no-no in Britain; here it's a necessity.

I am convinced that the population of Louth are actually asleep on their commutes. I made it from Julianstown to Rush once undertaking the entire way. It wasn't intentional. Every zombie was sitting in Lane 2 at about 70 mph. Nuts carry on!

Don't get me started on trucks overtaking on the M1. It's crazy and happens about five times a morning to me!

• Advertisement

Pauvre Con wrote: »

drives me nuts!

That would suit me just fine... ps might even be quicker when the new 3-lane M1 superhighway is completed!!

Should shave off another 5 minutes maybe. Junction 4 has been relatively ok throughout the roadworks but the third lane should make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

...the roadworks but the third lane should make a difference.

Well, there might an occasional Senior-citizen-mobile doing 60 in the normal lane, and may be a bus or a truck or two occupying the middle lane, and almost everyone else doing bumper to bumper on the overtaking lane. :pac:

True its time for a forth lane :pac: Even on a clear run I've all but given up using cruise control, its impossible to do a steady speed even in minimal traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

dundalk - clondalkin- dundalk about 60 mile round trip. in and around an hour each way.

Car pooling though, so generaly only have to drive once every third day. still takes it out of you though.

eight quid a day on toll's just takes the piss tbf, not to mention the price of diesel, if it wasnt for my car pool id have no choice other than to move to dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

True its time for a forth lane ...

Bull****. Three lanes is plenty for the amount of traffic involved.
    Or at least it would be if the majority of drivers in Ireland knew how to use lanes properly.

Actually whilst we're slagging Irish driving habits what's the story with half the country putting their front foglights on - regardless of a lack of fog? Just the front ones mind. :confused:

Bull****. Three lanes is plenty for the amount of traffic involved.

Assume you missed my sarcasm pacman. :D

OT
    Fog lights are cool and especially if accompanied by aftermarket HIDs burning the retina out of your head. <sarcasm pacman> :pac:

rogieop wrote: »
    dundalk - clondalkin- dundalk about 60 mile round trip. in and around an hour each way.

Assume you mean 120?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Assume you mean 120?

yes!

Advertisement