Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid to Start Riding Now?

• 12-09-2012 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Ok, a bit of a question - I've been meaning to get going on the bike all summer, but for different reasons haven't. We're moving a bit further out now and I'll finally have somewhere safe to keep the bike, and I figure it'll be much more useful for commuting (Maynooth to Sandyford). Everything is need is lined up (bike, gear, reasonable insurance quote etc.), but I'm wondering is it a bit late in the season to be getting started in biking? I've taken a few lessons over the summer and have taken the bike for a few 1km spins up and down the private road beside our home to keep it from seizing, but that's all the experience I have.

So my question is - is it too late to get going on the bike now that the summer is over?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

If you're going to be commuting, it doesn't matter what time of year you start. Yes, it's easier in the "summer" but you'll be ok for a couple of months yet before the ice/frost sets in. Just go for it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It's no harm to start building up your NCB too. I'd just drive on. No one says you won't get out on your bike over Autumn/ Winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

There is no "bike season". This is Ireland, the weather can be **** in the middle of "Summer" and it can be good in the middle of "Winter", if you let the weather dictate when you ride your bike, you'll never take it out of the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

That's what I thought all right. I've just had a call from Adelaide this minute too with a quote almost 1/3 better than Liberty so looking very positive.

We move in 2 weeks, so I might just aim for this time to get going. In fairness, I wasn't expecting any "you'd probably be best to wait until next year" responses in the motorbike forum ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Bawnmore wrote: »
    That's what I thought all right. I've just had a call from Adelaide this minute too with a quote almost 1/3 better than Liberty so looking very positive.

We move in 2 weeks, so I might just aim for this time to get going. In fairness, I wasn't expecting any "you'd probably be best to wait until next year" responses in the motorbike forum ;)
    To be honest, the weather has been so bad during the "summer", now is probably a good time to start now that it is raining less .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

There is no "bike season". This is Ireland, the weather can be **** in the middle of "Summer" and it can be good in the middle of "Winter", if you let the weather dictate when you ride your bike, you'll never take it out of the garage.

So true...I got totally soaked on sunday travelling 2 miles. :rolleyes:

@op: Up on your bike and away with ya!!

Thanks for all the replies. I'll take a look into it over the next week and hopefully take the plunge. I'll update this thread with a Yay/Nay in any case!

Thanks for all the replies. I'll take a look into it over the next week and hopefully take the plunge. I'll update this thread with a Yay/Nay in any case!

Yeah, do! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Maybe get a few lessons first, or go for a few rides with an experainced buddy

OP, if it's been sitting up for a while you might want to take a look at it before you take it out on the road, check the obvious things but you might also have a dead battery or something so just bear that in mind too.

• Advertisement

Pataman wrote: »
    Maybe get a few lessons first, or go for a few rides with an experainced buddy

I've taken a few lessons over the summer and was fine with the basics in fairness. Might be a good idea to take one or 2 more before going it alone. I was on a moped in Cork city for about 2 years when I was younger, so it was really just brakes and gears to get used to.

Just had a call from Carole Nash who've beaten Adelaide's quote with better cover - what kind of madness is this?! Now to call Adelaide back to see what they can do.

OP, if it's been sitting up for a while you might want to take a look at it before you take it out on the road, check the obvious things but you might also have a dead battery or something so just bear that in mind too.

Will do - thanks for the tip. It's been garaged for a few months and brought on an occasional spin up the road. Battery is still going strong, but it was a bit stiff the last time I took it out so will give it a good look over before taking it out. Exciting times :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

No such thing as dry miles in Ireland.

Go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭MANSFIELD

Just had a call from Carole Nash who've beaten Adelaide's quote with better cover - what kind of madness is this?! Now to call Adelaide back to see what they can do.

Thats a first - i was with CN for over 10 years then i got a quote from Adelaide which was about 50% cheaper. So i rang CN to see could they do any better on their origonal quote . They couldn't, so im with Adelaide now with 3 years.

BTW what bike have you ?

MANSFIELD wrote: »
    Thats a first - i was with CN for over 10 years then i got a quote from Adelaide which was about 50% cheaper. So i rang CN to see could they do any better on their origonal quote . They couldn't, so im with Adelaide now with 3 years.

BTW what bike have you ?

I found it strange too - I wasn't expecting much from CN. Bike is a CB-1.

YIZUZ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭MANSFIELD

I found it strange too - I wasn't expecting much from CN. Bike is a CB-1.

CN must be copping on . :) Nice bike .

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Bought my first bike last January! Sold the four wheeled yoke, bought a pair of cold killers for under the gloves, a nice scarf and bobs your uncle! After a while id a spare two inches under the leather jacket for a jumper for the really cold days!

Bought my first bike last January! Sold the four wheeled yoke, bought a pair of cold killers for under the gloves, a nice scarf and bobs your uncle! After a while id a spare two inches under the leather jacket for a jumper for the really cold days!

I've a pair of summer gloves so I must start looking for a warmer pair. Jacket and trousers are textile with removable fleece liners so they should be a good start. Looking good though - insurance is surprisingly affordable so I've a few parts to switch onto the bike that I picked up last week and I should be good to go. No show stoppers, but using a key to push the choke up and down is no fun at all on a cold morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Except winter 09&10!:eek:

• Advertisement

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Except winter 09&10!:eek:

I used my GF's bike those winters. Very durable bike. Sometimes when a bike is your only mode of transport, you don't have a choice to use it, regardless of weather.

I used my GF's bike those winters. Very durable bike. Sometimes when a bike is your only mode of transport, you don't have a choice to use it, regardless of weather.

Same as, himself had to drive his old R1 into college to do exams in the snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

^^^^
    Jasus I had diffuculty walking never mind riding a bike. God I'm an ole woman.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In winter, heated grips are the best investment you can make :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...and for the record, having been abroad up until the Summer, I've decided to put my bike back on the road this week coming so we can't all be wrong:)

ninja900 wrote: »
    In winter, heated grips are the best investment you can make :)

So I've heard - is there a recommended brand, or are some of the cheaper brands just as good? I see Oxfords recommended in a few places.

Last decision to make really - policy is still down to Carole Nash and Adelaide. There's €50 in the difference with the dearer option including homestart/breakdown assist - I'm assuming it's a no-brainer to go with this for the extra 50 quid, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

So I've heard - is there a recommended brand, or are some of the cheaper brands just as good? I see Oxfords recommended in a few places.

Last decision to make really - policy is still down to Carole Nash and Adelaide. There's €50 in the difference with the dearer option including homestart/breakdown assist - I'm assuming it's a no-brainer to go with this for the extra 50 quid, right?

By 2 weeks time you won't miss that 50 euro, but if you do need the breakdown assist, you WILL miss the 100+ euro...

Advertisement